Comes now Arlington U. - Australia

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Comes now Arlington U. - Australia

Postby johann » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Wonder if any mill-experts here know the history or who's behind this "school" :

Friday January 13th - I was working bunco and phony degrees. I was just starting on my third cup of squad-room tar when the phone rang. It was a forum-buddy from a distant galaxy. He wanted to know if I'd heard of Arlington University, Box 102, 60 Blair Street, North Bondi NSW, Australia. I hadn't, but my assistant, Det. Google found some Arlington records. I'm not sure if the "school" web-site relates to the Australian animal or not.

The site Det. Google found was suspicious. Dot-org domain, under construction and the boys down at Whois said it was wrapped in privacy protection - never good signs. Here it is: http://www.arlingtonuniversity.org Although the "store-front" is brand-new, Whois dates the domain back to 2004. None of the buttons were working, but I managed to get to a sub-page, here. http://arlingtonuniversity.org/pages/facultystaff.aspx - nothing very instructive. The 'International' button on this page was the only one that worked - and it takes you to to a page that deals with ESL etc.

I dug some more and found this page about someone in South Africa, replete with allegations of selling 3-course Arlington (Australia) "Bachelor's degrees" in Permaculture/Sustainable living. Very unpleasant allegations indeed - The "degrees" would appear to be by far the least serious of them, if you read the comments. http://www.sacan.co.za/?p=1238

Oh yes - here's that same fella again, advertising the same Arlington "degree courses" mentioned above. http://harounkola.com/sustainable-commu ... s-midrand/ - he says that "Arlington" (Australia) prepared the courses at his suggestion. And here's a Johannesburg city councillor, claiming an Arlington (Australia) religious doctorate. Well, I guess he doesn't require an accredited doctorate for that job, so what the heck! http://whoswhosa.co.za/dr-wmeshack-van-wyk-30790

Here's the whois on the Web Arlington. Again, I'm not positive it's Arlington (Australia) although it's obviously uh--what it is. Could be owned by someone in Moldova, Pakistan, Australia or elsewhere for all we know...

Domain ID103678463-LROR
Domain Name:ARLINGTONUNIVERSITY.ORG
Created On:07-Jan-2004 19:28:11 UTC
Last Updated On:08-Dec-2010 00:58:52 UTC
Expiration Date:07-Jan-2013 19:28:11 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)
Registrant ID:CR21140956
Registrant Name:Registration Private
Registrant Organizationomains By Proxy, LLC
Registrant Street1omainsByProxy.com
Registrant Street2:15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Scottsdale
Registrant State/Province:Arizona
Registrant Postal Code:85260
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.4806242599
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:+1.4806242598
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:ARLINGTONUNIVERSITY.ORG@domainsbyproxy.com
Admin ID:CR21140959
Admin Name:Registration Private
Admin Organizationomains By Proxy, LLC
Admin Street1omainsByProxy.com
Admin Street2:15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Scottsdale
Admin State/Province:Arizona
Admin Postal Code:85260
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.4806242599
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:+1.4806242598
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:ARLINGTONUNIVERSITY.ORG@domainsbyproxy.com
Tech ID:CR21140957
Tech Name:Registration Private
Tech Organizationomains By Proxy, LLC
Tech Street1omainsByProxy.com
Tech Street2:15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Scottsdale
Tech State/Province:Arizona
Tech Postal Code:85260
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.4806242599
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:+1.4806242598
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:ARLINGTONUNIVERSITY.ORG@domainsbyproxy.com
Name Server:NS28.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server:NS27.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:
Name Server:

Johann
johann

Re: Comes now Arlington U. - Australia

Postby johann » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 am

Yep - appears there are likely two Arlingtons. The web-Arlington posts a couple of phone numbers: 760-343-7500 and 760-343-7533. These look like San Diego county or San Bernardino county numbers. Maybe this one is a new unaccred, which will need BPPE approval. Who knows; hard to tell, right now.

So - Arlington (web) exists on a server in Scottsdale AZ and claims Cal. phone numbers. Arlington (Australia) may/may not exist on a printer... good luck to 'em!

Johann
johann

Postby John Bear » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:11 am

Reverse phone lookup gives this for th4e California one:
Arlington University
72295 Manufacturing Rd
Thousand Palms, CA 92276
United States

They appear to be the only business at this address, which looks, on Bing Birds-eye View, like like one of those warehouse + adjoining office industrial spaces.

The phone is answered in Spanish, with a message that says that "Yes, the free English courses are still available."
John Bear

Postby John Bear » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:16 am

The Australia address has a very clear Google photo:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

The only occupants of the building seem to be a news agency (which may rent mail boxes), a hair salon, and a bathroom renovation company.
John Bear

Postby johann » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for your efforts, Dr. Bear. It looks like Arlington-California may be a new school "under construction." We won't know the legitimacy at least until the site etc. gets built, but all the privacy screen stuff isn't looking very promising. The Australian one? Likely defunct, indubitably bogus - no point in poking it any more, I guess. I'm thinking maybe Arlington Australia could be (or have been) one of the "house brand universities" of some "no-worry-degrees-by-return-mail" operation.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:17 pm

First - an update on Arlington U. California

It's still under construction but I was able to access undergrad and graduate pages:

http://www.arlingtonuniversity.org/page ... grams.aspx
http://www.arlingtonuniversity.org/page ... grams.aspx

It's starting to acquire the appearance of something intended as a serious effort. Requirements for Bachelor's in Public health include 60 units gen. ed and an existing Bachelor's in a related field. We'll see in time, I guess...

BTW - Arlington Australia - no sign it ever existed except on paper. Google reveals a couple of individuals showing off copies of their Honorary Doctorates from an (unaccredited) South African Bible College. These $2-appearing degree-simulating screeds said that the "college" was accredited by Arlington University Australia...no further details.

Johann
johann

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Whatever it is, it's apparently BPPE approved to offer both a bachelors and masters in public health, along with an assortment of non-degree ESL classes. (An odd combination that might say something about this school's intended clientele.)

https://app.dca.ca.gov/bppe/view-school ... de=1925511

I'm not particularly impressed.
Hungry Ghost

Postby johann » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:...I'm not particularly impressed.

Well, I'm not hugely impressed either -- but now you've found the BPPE approval, I'm uh... a bit less unimpressed, I guess. :) I think you're right that the school is intended largely for foreign students - and there's nothing wrong with that. There's quite a long blurb about TOEFL and other scores required to enrol for the degree programs. That has nothing to do with how good/bad the school is -- and I think that remains to be seen.

I'm theorizing - no, make that idly hypothesizing - that they may have picked the name without knowing about the defunct Australian "school," accreditation mill or whatever else it was. It sounds very mainstream American and of course when you Google "Arlington," you get all kinds of hits for U. of Texas at Arlington,George Mason U., Arlington Virginia campus etc.

Well, the BPPE seal puts 'em ahead of Breyer State, anyway, not that being one step ahead of the significantly-initialled BSU is a great distinction. We'll see how it goes. I'll say no more...

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Bumpity...

Strange. The website (for Arlington U. California) is completely gone - no replacement I could find. Its BPPE authorization appears smack up-to-date (June 25) and the school is on many ad, referral and "yellow page" sites like this: http://www.thecityofpalmsprings.com/sch ... ities.html

Oh well... no matter. If the BPPE says it's legit - why would I have any further interest? :)

Arlington Australia? Still zip, nada, bupkis. We know it was a fake. The perps? We'll probably never know. :sad:

Johann
johann

Postby David » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Friday January 13th - I was working bunco and phony degrees. I was just starting on my third cup of squad-room tar when the phone rang.

Nice one, 714, I just caught the riff. Alas by doing so I'm dating if not carbon dating myself.

I've enjoyed a few episodes of a Canadian cop show broadcast down here as a summer re-run alternative. Joe Friday – just the facts Ma'am – never had a partner that looked like the female officers on Rookie Blue.
David

Postby johann » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:51 pm

David wrote:Nice one, 714, I just caught the riff.

Thanks.

David wrote:I've enjoyed a few episodes of a Canadian cop show broadcast down here...never had a partner that looked like the female officers on Rookie Blue.

I live in Canada and I think our cop shows are generally the worst. Oh, was I glad to see "Flashpoint" finally die! We do have one interesting one -"Murdoch's Mysteries," starring Yannick Bisson as a turn-of-the-20th Century Toronto cop. He's Canadian, but I remember him best as FBI agent Jack Hudson, from "Sue Thomas, F.B. Eye," 2002-2005.

My favourite current American police series is "Blue Bloods." I like the family aspect. Another one I get a bit of fun from is the "new" Sherlock Holmes, with Lucy Liu as Watson. I've liked her performances since "Ally McBeal" days. The show itself is absolutely over-the-top preposterous, though. I'm not sure even the talented and attractive Ms. Liu can save it. British cop shows are best of all. I think my all-time favourite was "Spender" about 20 years ago, starring Jimmy Nail. There are a few Youtube clips and a Wiki you can check out.

As far as women on police shows go, I'm partial to Danny Reagan's (Donnie Wahlberg's) partner, Jackie Curatola (Jennifer Esposito) in Blue Bloods. Also, she's not a policewoman, but she looks great in a uniform - Monica Raymund. She stars as Gabriela Dawson on "Chicago Fire."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monica_Raymund
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Esposito

Johann
johann

Postby David » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:48 pm

I live in Canada

I remembered that from your post about Alabama.
David

Return to Unaccredited Programs