HEED University is still there!?

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

HEED University is still there!?

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:14 pm

At least, the web site is still active. www.heed.edu

The latest events shown are from 2001 or 2002. The law school still offers every imaginable law degree (except one that will allow the graduate to sit for the Bar exam) with a single faculty member.

I don't know...has anyone here ever actually had anything to do with this school? I don't THINK it was a diploma mill... :?:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: HEED University is still there!?

Postby ShotoJuku » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Under Construction
ShotoJuku +
AS, BS, MS, MBA, Ed.D Underway
ShotoJuku

Postby cbkent » Sun May 15, 2011 1:05 am

Curious. Only the home page is "under construction." Enter from another page, and you can go just about anywhere on the site.

I don't know if this program is still offered, but a page claims that in "one year or less" you can obtain a non-bar JD. Best of all, you only need 60 credits from a "recognized" college or university, or "passing of the CLEP exam" to qualify for admission.

Tuition is $4850. Such a deal. Cheaper than some CA non-bar qualifying programs, and this one only takes one year...or less! http://www.heed.edu/degreetj.htm#JURIS_DOCTOR

Should nosborne crave an SJD, tution is just $7250, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they let him do it in taxation. HJe would probably only have to buy two hams...or less.
cbkent

Postby nosborne48 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:33 am

I might look for a J.S.D. some day but it wouldn't be HEED.

Actually, I don't think that there is any online J.S.D. tax program out there that is both affordable and accredited. Besides...I don't really have anything to SAY about tax. I know a little bit about some parts of our nation's taxation system but that's not the sort of thing that could inspire me to heights of scholarship. There's a reason why the LL.M.(tax) and M.S.T. are almost always non-thesis degrees. Or perhaps I should say that there's a reason why tax is the field I chose. I'm a non-thesis kinda guy.

If I had a million I suppose I could do Thos. Jeff's International Tax doctorate. Int'l Tax is actually really interesting but it's more International Relations than Tax. And I don't have a million.
nosborne48

Postby ShotoJuku » Sun May 15, 2011 2:17 pm

cbkent wrote:Tuition is $4850. Such a deal. Cheaper than some CA non-bar qualifying programs, and this one only takes one year...or less! http://www.heed.edu/degreetj.htm#JURIS_DOCTOR

Is Heed legit?
ShotoJuku +
ShotoJuku

Postby nosborne48 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Legitimate? Well...I think it was at one time. HEED has produced a cadre of psychoanalysts that has apparently accomplished some things. But taking any law degree from the institution would be hard to justify.
nosborne48

Postby ShotoJuku » Sun May 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Is this JD what some have called an Executive JD?
ShotoJuku +
ShotoJuku

Postby nosborne48 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:26 pm

I guess so. I personally don't think that any school should offer a J.D. that doesn't qualify the student to take some state bar exam somewhere but they sure do it. Both Concord and Taft offer non-Bar J.D. degree programs. :roll: CalBar agrees with me.

There was an exchange on this forum some time ago wherein David Byod of the Taft University system explained why he finally had to offer an executive J.D. though he was not thrilled by the idea.
nosborne48

Postby nosborne48 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:43 pm

FWIW, Oregon's ODA notices HEED's existence only to the extent necessary to say that the school's degrees are not authorized for use in Oregon. So that means someone sometime had to ask? :?
nosborne48

Postby Eternal_Student » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:46 am

U=I just want to let the world know how greatly disappointed I am with my Ph.D. from HEED University in Psychology that I earned in 1995 because I have nothing but problems since I got it. The lack of its accreditation is a huge problem. I mean I was happy at first for having a decent program of study that I eventually completed at Clark University, where I wrote my Ph.D. dissertation from HEED, having received my B.A. from Clark but when I moved to California to work with my Ph.D. I was soon told by the State of California I "would have to do another Ph.D. program, we're so sorry to tell you." I finished my HEED Ph.D. in 1995 and moved to California in 1996--1997. So, eventually, I got the message and tried to validate my Ph.D. at HEED. I started to do things back at Clark in 1997 but no one there was happy with me having this Ph.D. they didn't recognize and I moved a mile away to Worcester State College to start planning a future but Worcester State didn't like this degree either and I ended up in Maine, eventually to start the MSW program there to make up for the Ph.D. from HEED. They didn't like the HEED degree either. It's been a nightmare. Just sayin...
Eternal_Student

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:50 am

Eternal_Student wrote:U=I just want to let the world know how greatly disappointed I am with my Ph.D. from HEED University in Psychology that I earned in 1995 because I have nothing but problems since I got it. The lack of its accreditation is a huge problem. I mean I was happy at first for having a decent program of study that I eventually completed at Clark University, where I wrote my Ph.D. dissertation from HEED, having received my B.A. from Clark but when I moved to California to work with my Ph.D. I was soon told by the State of California I "would have to do another Ph.D. program, we're so sorry to tell you." I finished my HEED Ph.D. in 1995 and moved to California in 1996--1997. So, eventually, I got the message and tried to validate my Ph.D. at HEED. I started to do things back at Clark in 1997 but no one there was happy with me having this Ph.D. they didn't recognize and I moved a mile away to Worcester State College to start planning a future but Worcester State didn't like this degree either and I ended up in Maine, eventually to start the MSW program there to make up for the Ph.D. from HEED. They didn't like the HEED degree either. It's been a nightmare. Just sayin...

Whoa. Slow down.

Who (what office) in California said what to you about what? For example, did you apply for a psychology license and was denied because (a)Heed isn't accredited and (b) Heed isn't California-state-approved? That would make sense.

What does it mean to try to "validate" a Heed Ph.D.?

What do you mean regarding a "decent program of study that [you] eventually completed at Clark University"? Was that a program at Clark or at Heed? And if it was at Clark, what does Heed have to do with it?

What does it mean to "do things back at Clark"?

What does it mean that Clark wasn't happy?

What were you doing at Worcester that wasn't liked?

How does an MSW "make up" for a Heed Ph.D.?

NB: Heed was a good, unaccredited school back in the day, and one of a very few number of options to adult learners in the 1970's and early '80's to earn a real Ph.D. But those days were long gone by 1995--lots and lots of options were available by then. Schools like Heed either got accredited or disappeared, with a few California-approved exceptions.
Rich Douglas

Postby Eternal_Student » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:11 am

Two years later that my post and to its response by Rich, I post again in 2016 about HEED University's Ph.D. degree. It's a worthless degree. When I went to California in 1996--1997 I went to get my license in Psychology there with my HEED Ph.D. in psychology and someone in the State of California Education department called me back and stated I would have to earn another Ph.D. degree, which I certainly did not want to do again. However, I did earn a second M.A. degree in Psychology from University of New Haven from 2005--2007. And that degree proved worthless also because the LPC required 60 credits and I only had 48 credits for my M.A. degree from University of New Haven in 2007 (with a 3.61 gpa). So, I took another 3 graduate credits at Southern Conn State University in 2008 and that is the school I got my first M.S. degree from in 1981, (with a 3.67 gpa). Then SCSU would not allow me to take any more courses there. In fact, they banned me from campus at SCSU on July 3, 2008 falsely stating I had given some unnamed campus cop a phony name when asked my identity, which is an incident SCSU made up. I don't know why. I am currently suing SCSU's Board of Regents for >$1million in a federal lawsuit for this action, 3:14-cv-01592. I may have to take this same case again to the U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit in NYC, per the 3 judge panel of US Court of Appeals: J. Debra Ann Livingston; J. John M. Walker, Jr.; and J. Dennis Jacobs. Today is 2/28/2016. This is absurd and ridiculous. And, yes, the University of Maine requested that I leave its campus in 2002 after only 6 weeks in the MSW program, Fall, 2002, and at that meeting of the MSW Committee (I was already in the program at USM), I was represented by Legal Counsel, Attorney James C. Hunt, JD, Ph.D. (Attorney Hunt had graduated USM as Number One in his law school class and he got his Ph.D. at Harvard.) We still lost our case at USM's MSW program. I still do not know what all this is about. My friend, Professor Francis Inman Amory (Harvard B.A. and Harvard M.Ed. and BU MSW) and full professor of Urban Studies at Worcester State University cannot fathom why this action or these actions occurred. Professor Amory saw me banned at his college where he was full professor and chair of his department of Urban Studies (being Worcester State University). So, I would state that there is a definite problem with the HEED Degree. :)
Eternal_Student

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:16 am

There is a key marked "Enter" that provides carriage returns (line breaks), really useful in creating paragraphs.
Rich Douglas

Return to Unaccredited Programs