More on Swiss institutions

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: More on Swiss institutions

Postby johann » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:34 pm

Duhhh :oops: :oops: Please excuse the totally unnecessary resurrection. Only after I posted did I notice that the thread BEGAN with the mention of St. Clements. "The moving finger having writ, etc." (Omar Khayyam)

Sorry for disturbing anyone's routine. :oops:

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:31 am

That must be one of the cantons that pays no attention, where registration is simply filing for a business license. You're right, anyone could do it.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Hungry Ghost » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:07 pm

My own not-very-informed view of Swiss cantonal-approval is that the details vary from canton to canton. At the high end it might be something like the more restrictive American state licensing, at the low end nothing more than a business license required. (Unfortunately, I don't know which cantons are which.) And as Tark points out, it varies by subject too, since some subjects (like medicine) seem to be more tightly regulated in Switzerland.

So, I'm inclined to treat Swiss cantonally approved schools the same way I treat my local California-approved schools. Some are probably little more than mills, but others might actally be pretty good. I'm certainly open to the latter possibility, but the better schools need to have some way of demonstrating their qualities to outside observers' satisfaction. (That includes not only me, but more importantly employers and licensing boards as well.) A few of these better private Swiss schools have successfully generated their own reputations, while others sought various specialized accreditations.
Hungry Ghost

Postby johann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:51 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:That must be one of the cantons that pays no attention, where registration is simply filing for a business license. You're right, anyone could do it.

Vaud. If the final "d" were not silent in French, it would rhyme with "fraude." As it is, there's only assonance! :(

Johann
johann

Postby dragonlion » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 pm

The biggest Scam (www.vubs.ch) Victoria University of Switzerland is runned by Dr. Dai XuLong, the son of the former Chinese minister of finance Dai XiangLong. Dr. Dai got his own PhD in economics from Peking University under the corrupted deals. The family brought a swiss entity http://www.moneyhouse.ch/u/victoria_uni ... .916-5.htm
Dai's family uses VU to money laundry their dirty money from China as they have been formerly corrupted millions of Euros.
dragonlion

Re: Victoria has no Secrets!

Postby johann » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Victoria University has been under the DD microscope before. It was accused of misusing the word "accreditation" on its website, claiming that the Canton which approved it had "accredited" the school -- and that is just not possible. It subsequently changed the wording, removing "accreditation" in that context.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7158&hilit=Victoria+University

Now it uses "accreditation" in connection with its eduQua certificate, which it was seeking back in 2011 and has now obtained. Here's the blurb:

Victoria University is Certified by the nationally accrediting agency EduQua (http://www.eduqua.ch ). EduQua is an the official Swiss accreditation body recognized and supported by the Swiss Confederate Government; it’s the first quality certification for public and private educational institutions in Switzerland. EduQua is the premier quality assurance accreditation scheme for continuing education (can be general education, further education, professional education).

EduQua is not an accrediting agency as we here understand it. It adds nothing to the standing of degrees issued by a member school. Here's their own word -and nowhere do I read the word "Accreditation."

"Through eduQua, the first Swiss quality label geared towards adult continuing education was established. eduQua provides certified institutions with a considerable advantage in the eyes of their clients. Not only does it come with a positive image, but the quality management also sees a strong improvement through the certification’s execution.

Additionally, the certification proves to be an advantage when dealing with the authorities: in increasingly more cantons, the certification is a requirement for public funding. The Swiss Conference of the Cantonal Educating Directors recommends that the cantons check "the quality of theproviders in the education sector in all of Switzerland based on the same criteria and make national subsidies dependent on a proof of quality (eduQua)".

eduQua is made up of over 1000 schools, institution and academies in all of Switzerland.
The eduQua label sets and reviews minimum criteria for the quality of continuing adult education."

Victoria University is a MEMBER of both IACBE and ACBSP, but neither organization accredits its programs. I say this school still has no institutional or programmatic accreditation. The eduQua certificate is good to have -- but it is not accreditation, as the word is used here. I'm not saying the school itself is good or bad - but I can't see where its degrees would have any standing whatsoever.

I know nothing of Dr. Dai XuLong. The Dean is Dr. M.S.S. El Namaki. His bio. is on Victoria's web page.

Johann
johann

Postby dragonlion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 am

Dai used Namaki and Dutch-Egyptian academic to act as foreign face in China for recruiting the students as putting up an image as if they were not merely a money making machine and money laundry tool. Dai's father Dai Xianglong the former minister of finance is behind this operation together with the former Peking university professor Ju Guo, whom also owns a stake in this. They sell their DBA degrees for more than 15000 Euros in China, and attracted high level executives and government officials. They also maintain a Chinese site http://vubs.org
dragonlion

Postby johann » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Money laundering? An interesting subject - I once wrote a paper on it for an economics course. DD is hardly the place to report it, if you expect anything to happen.

Switzerland has a Money Laundering Reporting Office, here: http://www.fedpol.admin.ch/fedpol/en/ho ... herei.html

Go ahead, DragonLion - go get 'em! :D :D

Johann
johann

Previous

Return to Unaccredited Programs