University of Metaphysics

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: University of Metaphysics

Postby Hungry Ghost » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm

TheObserver wrote:Accelerated Metaphysics degrees bestowed by metaphysical organizations are religious in nature and are earned solely by the study of metaphysical philosophy with an emphasis on spirituality.

The intention of the 'University of Metaphysics' and the 'University of Sedona' seems to be to sell students "doctorates", along with accompanying "ordinations", hopefully enabling customers to legally offer "pastoral counseling" services while posing as "doctors". (That's not a new idea, there's no end of doubtful unaccredited 'biblical' schools doing the same thing.)

It's explained here:

http://universityofsedona.com/prospectu ... hysics.htm

They say:

Your degree serves you well, should you write a book, give public lectures, etc. because you will be received as a "Doctor" of your subject. In many instances, along these lines or others that you might wish to pursue, your title of "Doctor" alone could make the difference between dismal failure and glowing success.

Your degree gives you dignity in practicing counseling, since people going to see a counselor tend to think of it as "seeing their Doctor."

While this may indeed be legal in some jurisdictions, my opinion is that it's unethical everywhere.

It's an attempt to create a sense of confidence among prospective clients. (I'm going to see my Doctor!) In my opinion, if the client's confidence isn't justified, if the so-called "doctor" is only allowed to remain in business because his actions are ostensibly included in the practice of religion, then unless the so-called "doctor" is VERY clear in his advertising about the precise nature and limitations of his practice and "credentials", he might justifiably be called a "con-artist".

By focusing entirely on one subject - the study of metaphysical spirituality - and not including the secular subjects like Calculus, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry etc, a legitimate metaphysical institution is able to offer a home study degree program that can be completed in far less time than a secular degree —but not in little or no time, which would be a diploma mill.

How does one distinguish between "legitimate metaphysical institutions" and those that aren't legitimate? There doesn't seem to be any accepted body of knowledge in this area. In the case of these two "universities", the whole thing seems to revolve around the religious views of one particular individual, the owner Mr. Masters.

Because metaphysical degrees are religious in nature, the US Department of Education, under US Federal Law, can neither praise, credit, discredit, nor accredit metaphysical institutions of a religious nature.

But private accrediting bodies can. A number of these specifically religious accreditors are in turn recognized by the United States Department of Education. They include the Association of Theological Schools (ATS), the Orthodox rabbinical accreditor AARTS, ABHE, TRACS and others.

What's more, the secular accreditors do often accredit schools that teach religious subjects, even unconventional ones. Here in California, the regional accreditor WASC accredits the California Institute of Integral Studies, Sofia University (formerly the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology) and others. Middle States' Higher Learning Commission (which covers Arizona where Sedona is) accredits Maharishi University, which has to be about as religiously unconventional as it gets.

My own opinion is that the "University of Metaphysics" and "Sedona University" aren't unaccredited because accreditation isn't applicable to religious schools. It seems more likely that these two businesses aren't accredited because they simply aren't accreditable.
Hungry Ghost

Postby johann » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:It seems more likely that these two businesses aren't accredited because they simply aren't accreditable.

I'll second that. And, as I see it, the reason they're not accreditable is complete lack of academic standards - nothing to do with the nature of the subject matter taught. There's no business reason for this commercial enterprise to amend that lack of standards. It makes piles of money without the ongoing work and expense incurred by accreditation. Most of the folks wanting these easy "degrees" wouldn't sign up if it cost more - or there was any hard academic work involved. Ergo, the students don't want accreditation any more than the proprietor does.

The stream by the old mill is called the Income Stream. This income stream has flowed nicely for many, many years. If it ain't broke - why fix it! :)

Johann
johann

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:39 pm

If you want to be a university, don't say you can't get accredited. It isn't true.

If you say you want to be something that cannot be accredited, then you are not a university. Stop calling yourself one and stop awarding degrees.

See, wasn't that simple? As for the rest of it, Steve and HG nailed it.
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:Stop calling yourself one (a university) and stop awarding degrees.

I hear you -loud and clear. "They" don't, because the Income Stream down by the Old Mill would dry up. It's like Crystal Churches and Prosperity Preaching -- totally a money-game. Sadly, for the world of "real" education - or sincere religion for that matter, most of such money-getting ruses appear to be legal. :mrgreen:

Johann
johann

Previous

Return to Unaccredited Programs