Does this one look odd to you?

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Still mad because your wife gets more pussy than you?

Postby GollinLies » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:30 am

g-gollin wrote:And why are you so very, very angry?

“Angry” is it? You are engaging in psychological projection again, George. This is where a person’s own unacceptable or threatening feelings are repressed and then attributed to someone else. You are embarrassed because you have been caught lying again, and your own feeble attempts at self-aggrandizement have been exposed. So you accuse others of feeling what you are feeling. What are you going to do next, make some more psychotic death threats?

Admit it, isn’t this really the reason why you have made a hobby of trying to find fault with other people’s academic degrees? You feel the guilt and shame of knowing that your own academic credentials are completely fraudulent, so you try to sooth your tortured soul by projecting your failings onto others. Everyone sees right through you now.

We all realize that, because you are a true sociopath, you can’t admit the truth to yourself. Isn’t it about time you went back to that nice psychologist for a few more sessions? (Would you like us to print his name and address in case you “forgot”?)
GollinLies

Re: Does this one look odd to you?

Postby g-gollin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:07 am

Yes, you are angry. Did you buy a now-useless mill degree? Did you work for a now-defunct mill?

Oh-- milled degrees aren't academic degrees any more than a sheet of paper towel is a transcript.

That threat of fabricating a medical/psychiatric history was pretty funny.

Is it jealousy? If so this'll make you greener. Watch for the press conference, next Thursday at 11 EST. WHNT will probably cover it.
g-gollin

Postby Hungry Ghost » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 am

g-gollin wrote:
GollinLies wrote:Surely you remember admitting HERE that your doctoral dissertation was a “collaboration”...

Fermilab Experiment 203/391a (my thesis experiment) was done by a collaboration of physicists from Berkeley, Fermilab, and Princeton. Our journal articles always include the names of all members in the collaboration. An article in a refereed journal is different, of course, from a PhD thesis. You actually understand this, but are too angry to admit it, right?

George, your cv speaks for itself. This guy is hoping to provoke you, playing you like a mad organist and trying to push any buttons that you might conceivably have. The best way to respond to him is probably by not responding to him at all.

He does raise a more abstract point though, albeit inadvertently, that I think is important.

Most advanced scholarship takes place in collaborations. That's obviously true in the sciences, where experimental work usually is conducted by research groups. Scientific lone-rangers are rare. Doctoral students are part of the mix, performing some function in the larger effort, and perhaps eventually writing it up as their dissertation.

It isn't just science that does collaborative research. It's common in the humanities too.

I was just reading about an archaeological project im Pompeii that's trying to learn about one particular block (insula) on one particular street. Several professors are involved from multiple universities, European and American, along with a group of their graduate students. It's part of an even larger collaboration with more research groups that's examining one of Pompeii's main streets along its entire length, from the forum out past the edge of town. The idea is to determine the chronology of urban development and change, map out building floor plans and land usage, understand the importance of proximity to the forum, learn what downtown-suburban distinctions meant in Roman times, discover sociological and economic trends, and similar things. Individual graduate students end up investigating particular aspects of the bigger picture and then writing it up as their theses.

When I'm confronted with a iffy school, one of the things that I try to determine is whether it interacts productively with scholars at reputable institutions. Degree-mills don't, since by definition they don't have intellectual lives. But real universities typically do. Collaboration can be a useful credibility indication for unknown schools.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Bill Huffman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:08 pm

GollinLies behavior is analogous to a fellow showing up in court for some minor infraction that starts spewing insults at the judge and everyone else in the room. No one knows who he is or where he comes from, but it is clear to everyone it would be better place if the maladjusted person just went away.
Bill Huffman

Postby Isadore Weisberg » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 am

Bill Huffman wrote:GollinLies behavior is analogous to a fellow showing up in court for some minor infraction that starts spewing insults at the judge and everyone else in the room. No one knows who he is or where he comes from, but it is clear to everyone it would be better place if the maladjusted person just went away.

In the situation you describe, the judge is someone in whom the public has given great trust and power. I suspect that the judge would order the miscreant to either jail or the psychiatric ward. This is one of the problems of the Internet. People have access to a keyboard and an internet connection and they think that the rules of civil behavior don't apply. They use language and hurl invectives they would never dream of using face to face because they see no "judge" and therefore no consequences to their actions. They don't realize that every time they use profane language and make libelous comments that they are weakening their own character from within.

Prof. Gollin is a controversial figure and while I may generally agree with his views, I understand that there is a vocal group that does not. That group has plenty of room to challenge Dr. Gollin on the merits of the issues. This would be a debate I'm sure most here would find quite interesting. Instead they choose to make vile personal attacks, thinly veiled anti-Semitic slurs and revolting allegations against his family. How do they expect people to give serious consideration to whatever substantive arguments they may have? :?:
Isadore Weisberg

Postby Gus Sainz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Bill Huffman wrote:GollinLies behavior is analogous to a fellow showing up in court for some minor infraction that starts spewing insults at the judge and everyone else in the room. No one knows who he is or where he comes from, but it is clear to everyone it would be better place if the maladjusted person just went away.

Would it still be considered an analogy if the individual in question actually had a history of insulting and hurling baseless crass accusations at judges in a court of law? :roll:
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Dr. G:

I am going to regret asking this, but was "CP violation" that weird, inexplicable subatomic partical physics thing where the Universe seems to prefer left-handedness?

Words of one syllable, please. I'm a tax lawyer not a physics genius!

Regarding you being "controversial", I really must disagree with Reb Weisberg. I've never read any statement by you that was not amply grounded in objective fact.

Hm. Do particle physicists even HAVE such a thing as an "objective fact"? Do you even KEEP a cat?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

CP

Postby g-gollin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:52 pm

About CP violation: almost. It's the universe's preference for matter over antimatter.

cheers,
George
g-gollin

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:29 pm

Oh, okay.

Um. But what about the cat? :mrgreen:
nosborne48

Postby Bill Huffman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 pm

Gus Sainz wrote:

Would it still be considered an analogy if the individual in question actually had a history of insulting and hurling baseless crass accusations at judges in a court of law? :roll:

Now that IS thought provoking!
Bill Huffman

Postby g-gollin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:19 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Oh, okay.

Um. But what about the cat? :mrgreen:

Had a cat, but he hot old and died. In quantum lingo, his wave function collapsed into the eigenstate of a deceased kitty.
g-gollin

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 pm

You just HAD to open the box, didn't you. DIDN'T you! :wink:
nosborne48

Postby Koalmnr » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:34 pm

At least he didn't let the cat out of the box.
Koalmnr

Postby nicole-laws » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:45 am

thats too amazing
nicole-laws

Postby g-gollin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:14 am

I do love it when the Perl scripts land here.
g-gollin

Previous

Return to Unaccredited Programs