Does this one look odd to you?

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Does this one look odd to you?

Postby g-gollin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:16 am

Take look at San Juan de la Cruz University, supposedly in Costa Rica: http://www.sjdlc.cr.

And do keep in mind that the entity at http://www.sjdlc.cr just might not be the same as "Universidad San Juan de la Cruz" which is listed by IAU/UNESCO.

Note the West Coast University connection here: http://www.westcoastuniversity.edu.pa/home.htm.

Also note the Akamai conection (Akamai is running w/o accreditation but in accord with Hawaii law as I understand it.) Here is a DI Akamai thread: http://www.degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?t=6737a

Hans Kempe is there: http://www.sjdlc.cr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=11

The http://www.sjdlc.cr domain is on IP 72.167.222.221. Also on that IP:

Americanfan.com
Nukoo.net
Pressdr.com
Rachelupchurch.com
Sjdlc.cr
Tidychicks.com
Universidaddeashworth.com
Wesupchurch.com

Note the second-to-last: another university. From its web page:

Bienvenido a la Universidad de Ashworth
(Welcome to Universidad De Ashworth)
We are the only fully recognized university that can award degrees based on your professional experience. Our degrees are accepted by employers everywhere. We have a variety of degree options available, so there's probably one that's right for you.

Are you looking to advance your career? Or maybe you're trying to start a new one. Well, we've got an amazing opportunity for you. Right now you can earn your degree for less than the cost of a new IPOD.

Want to discover more? Well read on...

A number of the domains at this IP are owned by the Upchurch family. I would be curious if they are involved in SJDLC. They own:

Nukoo.net
Pressdr.com
Rachelupchurch.com
Wesupchurch.com
Tidychicks.com

The domain registration is not visible for either Ashworth or University San Juan de la Cruz :
Sjdlc.cr
Universidaddeashworth.com

The home page for Ashworth has this in its html:
<o:DocumentProperties>
<o:Author>Wes</o:Author>
<o:LastAuthor>Wes</o:LastAuthor>

so perhaps Wes (Upchurch) created it. I don't see him on the SJDLC site though.

I wouldn't be surprised if this only-available-in-English site is actually not a true version of the real school.

Here is some bio info on Mr. Upchurch:
http://www.seomoz.org/marketplace/resumes/view/82741

Note that he mentions using "Joomla." That's what was used in the creation of the SJDLC site.
g-gollin

Re: Does this one look odd to you?

Postby davidvargas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:24 am

Hello Sir,

I am the administrative contact for the Universidad San Juan de la Cruz. We are located in San Jose, Costa Rica. We are recognized by CONESUP, which recognizes private universities in Costa Rica.

http://www.mep.go.cr/CONESUP/index.aspx

http://www.mep.go.cr/CentroDeInformacio ... 111837.pdf

We are listed in the UNESCO database.

http://www.unesco.org/iau/onlinedatabas ... Costa_Rica

You may find the attached information helpful in passing judgment on our institution.

http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2007/abril/ ... 76762.html

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

The former Universidad Consortium located in Mexico used our name to establish an agreement with the two institutions you mentioned, however, we fired them and they are no longer valid. There are no valid agreements currently that I know of with any universities. I hope this answers your questions.

Sincerely, David Chavarria Vargas
davidvargas

Postby g-gollin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 pm

So just to be clear, is the sjdlc.cr thing NOT an authorized part of your school?

If it IS then why is a connection to the bizarre Hans Kempe tolerated?
g-gollin

Postby davidvargas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Dear Sir,

The website http://sjdlc.cr is our website. Thank you for bringing to our attention Mr. Hans Kempe. He contacted us sometime ago and at the time it seemed to be beneficial having him as a part of our university. He is originally from Venezuela by way of Germany. He speaks fluent Spanish and visited us in Costa Rica. I wish to apologize to the educational community for allowing this to occur. We are totally devoted to providing a World Class university education. Thank you again Sir.

Sincerely,

David Chavarria Vargas
davidvargas

Postby g-gollin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:10 pm

How could you have allowed him to appear as an affiliate of your school without doing the proper vetting of his activities and credentials? It does raise concerns about the reliability of material associated with SJDLC.

I see you have removed the Kempe references on your web site.

Out of curiosity, was the SJDLC.cr web site built for you by Wes Upchurch? And do you have any association with la Universidad de Ashworth, whose web site resides on the same server as SJDLC.cr ?

Does SJDLC actually issue degrees? The web site, which does not list faculty, gives the impression that you are primarily a distributor of online courses supplied by Gatlin International, rather than a university employing faculty who create instructional materials and teach students.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
g-gollin

Postby davidvargas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Dear Sir,

SJDLC is authorized by CONESUP to award degrees through the Masters level. We are a small private university. Our degree programs however are well recognized around the world. We decided to offer continuing education courses for our graduates through Gatlin International, because their coursework seems well accepted by many universities in the United States and is available in many languages. We offer distance learning, however the majority of our students attend in residence. Wes Upchurch helped develop our website and is an esteemed graduate of our university. We have no affilation with the Universidad Ashworth, and are not familar at all with them.

I believe I have already answered your questions pertaining to Mr. Hans Kempe. We are not perfect and similar mistakes are made everyday by highly regarded individuals and educational institutions. We have corrected the problem and he is no longer affilated with SJDLC. Once again, our apologies and thank you for letting us know.

Sincerely,

David Chavarria Vargas
davidvargas

Postby Oregon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:26 pm

The score is now SJDLC - 3; Gollin - 0. When does the mercy rule take effect?
Oregon

Postby Koalmnr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:19 pm

In doing a brief search of Costa Rican Universites, I find a list of the following:

Three public B&M
Universidad de Costa Rica (UCR, University of Costa Rica)
Universidad Nacional (UNA, National University)
Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica (ITCR, Costa Rican Institute of Technology)
One public distance
Universidad Estatal a Distancia (UNED, Distance State University)

Six private universities
Universidad Americana (UAM)
Universidad de Ciencias Medicas (UCIMED)
Universidad EARTH
Universidad Hispanoamerica
Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica
University for Peace

But no reference for Universidad San Juan de la Cruz or San Juan de la Cruz Universidad

Must be REAL new
Koalmnr

Postby davidvargas » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Dear Koalmar,

The Universidad San Juan de la Cruz has been in existence since 1996 and is recognized by the Ministry of Education (CONESUP). There are approximately 50 private universities in Costa Rica. SJDLC is authorized to issue Bachelors and Masters degrees. I have attached links in my previous post that show the legitmacy of the university. All degrees awarded are accompanied by stamped authenication from CONESUP, the Costa Rican Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the US Consulate. I will be happy to answer any further questions you may submit.

Sincerely,
David Chavarria Vargas
Email: info@sjdlc.cr
davidvargas

Postby BCleaver » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:16 am

Can a USJDLC student submit a doctoral dissertation authored by 16 people?
BCleaver

Mommie pays your bills

Postby g-gollin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:42 pm

BCleaver wrote:Can a USJDLC student submit a doctoral dissertation authored by 16 people?

You are confused over the difference between a PhD thesis and a Physical Review D journal article. My offer re. FedEx-Kinko's still stands.
g-gollin

Postby johann » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:21 pm

We had a thread on San Juan de la Cruz a while back. Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6072&p=47956&hilit=San+Juan+de+la+Cruz#p47956

(Same name, same Saint as a centuries-old college of the University of Salamanca.)

At the time, the ONLY thing we could find objectionable was that the school was "dancing" with two unaccredited schools with WIDU and Grandview affiliations and also that it MIGHT be validating degrees from the licensed-but-not-mainstream Akamai. (Not that the unaccredited Akamai was considered a "bad" school.)

Now we are told by both Sr. Vargas of SJDLC and Dr. Capogrossi of Akamai (in the old thread) that these links have all been severed. Plus --- I've not so far seen any concrete argument against the legitimacy of SJDLC itself . So, ... are we done?

Johann
Last edited by johann on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johann

Postby johann » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Please excuse - duplicate could not erase - Johann
johann

Re: Your Wife Makes More $ Than You

Postby GollinLies » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:49 pm

g-gollin wrote:You are confused over the difference between a PhD thesis and a Physical Review D journal article. My offer re. FedEx-Kinko's still stands.

You tell so many lies you can’t keep them all straight. You need to start writing them down. Or get 15 friends to write them down for you.

Surely you remember admitting HERE that your doctoral dissertation was a “collaboration,” and justifying it by proclaiming that ignoring academic policies was a "tradition." You are not just an academic fraud but a calculating liar as well.

That kind of garbage might fly at a Dumbass Factory like Princeton. But let’s hear from Vargas as to whether it flies at SJDLC. Then we will see exactly who has the “odd looking” program.
GollinLies

Re: My mommie doesn't pay my bills

Postby g-gollin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:13 pm

GollinLies wrote:Surely you remember admitting HERE that your doctoral dissertation was a “collaboration”...

Fermilab Experiment 203/391a (my thesis experiment) was done by a collaboration of physicists from Berkeley, Fermilab, and Princeton. Our journal articles always include the names of all members in the collaboration. An article in a refereed journal is different, of course, from a PhD thesis. You actually understand this, but are too angry to admit it, right?

And you are fully aware that I was brought onto the faculty at Princeton three years after I finished my PhD. Most of the members of my thesis committee were still on the faculty, including my graduate advisor. (One former assistant professor had moved into a tenured position at U. Mass.)

When I was a postdoc at the University of Chicago, one of my colleagues on a Fermilab experiment shared the Nobel Prize for the discovery of CP violation (technical subject.) The Physical Review Letters paper in which their discovery was first published had four authors. Two were professors at Princeton, one was a postdoc, and one was a graduate student. The two professors, who initiated the work and brought in the younger scientists to work with them, shared the Nobel Prize. That's the way we do publications in multiple-investigator scientific projects. But graduate students' PhD theses from these experiments are always single-author works, written entirely (except for the inclusion of quotations, and sometimes appendices holding reprints of published of their articles) by the PhD candidate.

GollinLies wrote:You are not just an academic fraud but a calculating liar as well.

No, that is not true, and you are fully aware that it is not true.
GollinLies wrote:That kind of garbage might fly at a Dumbass Factory like Princeton.

Princeton is a fine school, with significant commitment to undergraduate teaching and scholarly research. I thought the students I taught were terrific.

GollinLies wrote:But let’s hear from Vargas as to whether it flies at SJDLC. Then we will see exactly who has the “odd looking” program.

Aw sheesh, bringing in Hans Kempe and West Coast University? (They're gone now.) That was pretty silly, wouldn't you say? At least it can be called "odd looking" if not "screamingly funny." I mean, come on, have you ever read Kempe's description of how his GKA gizmo works? Gosh, what a strange lot of hooey Kempe generated to sell his Thing.

Now, tell us, what's your real name? And why are you so very, very angry?
g-gollin

Next

Return to Unaccredited Programs