Victoria University Switzerland?

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby mineralhh » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 pm

...and interestingly enough the city shown on their main page photo is not Neuchatel, where they claim to be located. If they don't even get this right - what do they?
mineralhh
Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:46 pm

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby monarch » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:32 pm

But how can Victoria University gained AACSB membership? Look at http://www.aacsb.edu/membership/Applica ... tional.pdf
They ask all schools to show the legal authority for granting degrees. I see there's no other non-accredited schools on their member list. I think AACSB is at a much better position to judge schools than your guys here...what do you say? Dr. Bear? Dr. Gollin?
monarch
New Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:24 am

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby Tark » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:05 pm

AACSB appears to accept Swiss cantonal licensure as a valid form of degree-granting authority, which in fact it probably is (it seems comparable to US state licensure). So AACSB can accept canton-licensed business schools like Victoria or Educatis as members.

Unfortunately, neither cantonal licensure nor AACSB membership is any indicator of academic quality (again, the same is true for US state licensure). These things may demonstrate that a school is issuing degrees legally -- but they don't mean that such degrees will be widely accepted or respected.

It would be different if Victoria U held AACSB accreditation, as opposed to AACSB membership. That would count for a lot. But Victoria U doesn't have it.

I suspect Victoria U is probably operating legally. But that doesn't necessarily mean that its degrees have significant value.
Tark
Senior Member
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:39 am

monarch wrote:But how can Victoria University gained AACSB membership? Look at http://www.aacsb.edu/membership/Applica ... tional.pdf
They ask all schools to show the legal authority for granting degrees. I see there's no other non-accredited schools on their member list. I think AACSB is at a much better position to judge schools than your guys here...what do you say? Dr. Bear? Dr. Gollin?


Monarch appears to be very keen on shilling for Victoria University. I Wonder if this is a self-serving contribution to promote this University.
Matt
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:55 am

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:15 am

The following advertisement says it all about Victoria:

http://www.educations.com/Victoria_University_of_Switzerland_in_China__b12912.html
Matt
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:55 am

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby BaRoe » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:40 am

My name is Bart Roelofsen and I have been working with Victoria University in Beijing since early 2009. I can assure you: the school is certainly NOT a degree mill! Please allow me to elaborate on a few issues stated above.

Swiss and Singaporean academics and business people initiated Victoria University in 2002. The idea was to start a business school where people from East and West could learn from each other. Due to some internal differences of opinion, the school became an Asian-focused institute where over the past eight years hundreds of people have successfully studied in close partnership with some academics from Peking University in Beijing, one of the most renowned universities in Asia.

Each Swiss canton does indeed provide an approval for private schools’ operations. Victoria University is officially registered in Neuchâtel and, responding to the school’s founding fathers’ initiative, the school will start a campus here from September 2011 onwards. We are working hard to obtain the Swiss eduQua accreditation by mid-2011. The campus in Neuchâtel aims to attract students who are pursuing a management career with an Asian focus.

Victoria University has been working together with Harper Adams University College in the UK since 2009. Both sides are determined to proceed with this affiliation. Thanks to Victoria University’s solid academic and business networks in China, more schools have recently shown interest in cooperation.

The website http://victoria-university.info/index.html is being operated from Malaysia. Victoria University has NOTHING to do with it and we have put a lot of effort into trying to make the owner close the website. Unfortunately, so far without success.

In China, some things do go differently. Because of the country’s size, huge number of inhabitants (almost 20% of the world’s population), and roughly 5ooo years of history, presentations are indeed delivered with a certain sense of grandeur. In Western eyes, this may look, to some extent, over the top but that does not mean that objectives are less well intended.

I trust I was able to clarify some of the topics stated in this forum. I would like to thank you for your attention.
BaRoe
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:55 am

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:42 pm

Fact of the matter is that this university is presently not accredited by any recognized accreditation body. It is at best the equivalent of a US State licensed school. The Victoria university website makes the following assertion: "In 2002 "Victoria University" was officially accredited by the Swiss Canton of Neuchâtel." This is a false statement. However well-intentioned, it is an unaccredited university which makes the degree's utility in academia and the workplace suspect.
Matt
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:55 am

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby monarch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Mr. Landry, I feel there's maybe too much tension here...maybe every school deserves a chance to build itself and contribute. It is anyway up to the market to decide...
monarch
New Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:24 am

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:34 pm

Matt wrote:Fact of the matter is that this university is presently not accredited by any recognized accreditation body. It is at best the equivalent of a US State licensed school. The Victoria university website makes the following assertion: "In 2002 "Victoria University" was officially accredited by the Swiss Canton of Neuchâtel." This is a false statement. However well-intentioned, it is an unaccredited university which makes the degree's utility in academia and the workplace suspect.

Yes, but their representative just said they're not responsible for that web site, that it's a spoof or fake, or whatever.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby Tark » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:33 pm

It is anyway up to the market to decide


That's questionable logic, because it implies that degree mills are perfectly acceptable. After all, no one doubts that there is a market for impressive credentials that can be obtained easily and cheaply. So degree mills serve a clear market need, right ?
Tark
Senior Member
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby Matt » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:40 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Matt wrote:Fact of the matter is that this university is presently not accredited by any recognized accreditation body. It is at best the equivalent of a US State licensed school. The Victoria university website makes the following assertion: "In 2002 "Victoria University" was officially accredited by the Swiss Canton of Neuchâtel." This is a false statement. However well-intentioned, it is an unaccredited university which makes the degree's utility in academia and the workplace suspect.

Yes, but their representative just said they're not responsible for that web site, that it's a spoof or fake, or whatever.

-=Steve=-


Hi Steve,

The indication of accreditation is from their own website, not the one which they claim doesn't belong to them. See this link : http://www.vubs.ch/InfoDetail.asp?InfoID=1

Matt
Matt
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:55 am

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby SteveFoerster » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:00 am

Matt wrote:The indication of accreditation is from their own website, not the one which they claim doesn't belong to them. See this link : http://www.vubs.ch/InfoDetail.asp?InfoID=1

Ah, so it is. Well, then that's no good.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Northern Virginia & Dominica, West Indies

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby monarch » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:10 am

Tark, can't you see victoria is not a diploma mill? Go to Switzerland and find it yourself...
monarch
New Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:24 am

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby Matt » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:16 am

Victoria University, Switzerland is an unaccredited school that has no valid recognition at this stage. The website does not mention this to be the case and misleads prospective students. If Victoria is sincere in its mission to start a new university, then it should clearly indicate that it is not an accredited institution. However, by stating that it is "officially accredited by the Swiss Canton of Neuchâtel", it is being less than honest in its dealing with the public.

Matt
Matt
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:55 am

Re: Victoria University Switzerland?

Postby Tark » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Tark, can't you see victoria is not a diploma mill? Go to Switzerland and find it yourself...

No, I can't see that, because the Victoria degree programs have apparently never been subjected to any form of independent or trustworthy evaluation. That's the problem.

I could go to Switzerland and investigate Victoria for myself, but that approach has the obvious drawbacks of being very expensive and time-consuming. Why should I -- or anyone else -- make that investment? There are plenty of other schools with solid reputations that can be verified for free.

As stated previously, I think Victoria is probably operating legally. Its degrees may, or may not, have any academic value. There is no way to tell.
Tark
Senior Member
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:42 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron