Regarding Dr. Muhammad Schmidt and NationsUniversity

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: Regarding Dr. Muhammad Schmidt and NationsUniversity

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:39 pm

Bill wrote:...You' have my dissertation. See Hoover and the HTR mentioned on pages 174 & 261

Actually I don't. I loaned it to Janko. Who knows where it is now.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Hungry Ghost » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:55 pm

Oregon wrote:During my less than regular appearances at the Sunday morning magic show, I can't ever recall thirsting for the meaning of a word in BC Hebrew, AD Hebrew, BC Greek, or AD Greek but that's me.

It might have some scholarly interest. I've found myself thinking (in my layman's way) about how ancient vocabulary was used in different periods and by various schools and traditions, with an eye towards the conceptual development of ideas and about what messages particular textual accounts might have been intended to convey to readers in their original (and sometimes hard to reconstruct) context.

Unfortunately, this thread is threatening to implode into a display of shop-talk arcana that's only going to be of interest to evangelical exegesis buffs. That's ok, it won't be the first time that's happened. I can always tune it out, I guess.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Bill » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:
Oregon wrote:During my less than regular appearances at the Sunday morning magic show, I can't ever recall thirsting for the meaning of a word in BC Hebrew, AD Hebrew, BC Greek, or AD Greek but that's me.

It might have some scholarly interest. I've found myself thinking (in my layman's way) about how ancient vocabulary was used in different periods and by various schools and traditions, with an eye towards the conceptual development of ideas and about what messages particular textual accounts might have been intended to convey to readers in their original (and sometimes hard to reconstruct) context.

Unfortunately, this thread is threatening to implode into a display of shop-talk arcana that's only going to be of interest to evangelical exegesis buffs. That's ok, it won't be the first time that's happened. I can always tune it out, I guess.

--------

I'll take the blame for that, and, if I feel it necessary, will continue such comments in off topic. Sorry.

I am more interested in reading the interaction between Dr. Schmidt & you re. his school than I am about discussing textual issues.
Bill Grover
Faculty, http://www.satsonline.org
BA,(Bible),ThB -1966, SCTS
MA (Religion)- 1968, PL Naz Uni
Tea Creds USD (Lang Arts)-1969/OSU (Spec Ed)1978
MDiv (Equiv)-1992 and ThM (Biblical Studies)-1994, Western Seminary
D.Th. (Theology)-2005 Unizul
Bill

Postby levicoff » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:34 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:Unfortunately, this thread is threatening to implode into a display of shop-talk arcana that's only going to be of interest to evangelical exegesis buffs. That's ok, it won't be the first time that's happened. I can always tune it out, I guess.

True, and it's masking the real gossip . . . Bill sent his dissertation to Jimmy, who lent it to Janko?

The real question is: How many people on this forum have been in bed with each other? Literally or otherwise?

(Okay, that one is strictly hypothetical, but I thought this thread could use some potential gossip. Besides, the gang over at DLT could have some fun with the notion.)

When all is said and done, what we're left with is a fraudulent shyster (Muhammed) who will never have the balls to sue anyone around here. A few of us have blatantly called him a sham and, like the great con artist that he is, he actually has the huzzangas to participate in the exegetic debate. And to think that this thread has grown to three pages already...

Anyway, this does raise the concept of "Six Degrees of Separation." Let's see . . . If memory serves me, I have actually been with John, Jonathan, Chip, and from the really old days, Dennis. And, come to think of it, Martin Spillane (I know, for a few people that will be a blast from the past). I have, however, been to bed (literally) with none of them.

. . . or have I? :lol:
levicoff

Postby John Bear » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Steve Levicoff: "...Anyway, this does raise the concept of "Six Degrees of Separation." Let's see . . . If memory serves me, I have actually been with John, Jonathan, Chip, and from the really old days, Dennis. And, come to think of it, Martin Spillane..."

John Bear: I see a sociogram arising. I've met (in person), among others, Steve, Chip, George Gollin, Hungry Ghost, Tom Nixon, George Brown, and from the distant past, Martin Spillane, John Wetsch, Russ Blahetka, Larry McQueary, Gregg DesElms, and, from the early days of alt.education.distance, David Yamada.
Author/co-author
Bears Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning (first 15 editions)
Degree Mills: The Billion $ Industry That Has Sold ... a Million Fake Diplomas.
Send This Jerk the Bedbug Letter
John Bear

Postby Vice » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 am

levicoff wrote:
When all is said and done, what we're left with is a fraudulent shyster (Muhammed) who will never have the balls to sue anyone around here. A few of us have blatantly called him a sham and, like the great con artist that he is, he actually has the huzzangas to participate in the exegetic debate. And to think that this thread has grown to three pages already...

Levicoff, I have the balls to sue you as well. This presupposes that you communicate your personal details like your real name and do not remain one of the many faceless cowards around here. Nicks and aliases do not help. So, do you have the balls to tell me your real name and where you live?

And yes, as a registered member it is my good right to participate in any debate - even on that on exegetic issues. Who are you to tell me that I may not? It is a topic that I am very much interested in, and since I have been trained in that (as well as in other fields of Theology), I may also have something to contribute. But it seems that you are afraid that when such contributions are made that your assumptions of me being a "fraudulent shyster" will be proved wrong? This is very foolish of you, and at least in this matter I do regard you as a fool.

And I can assure you that it will be only me to decide on which topic I post and to which posts I am going to reply. If you are able to read, you are free to download the sample text file from the link I have supplied earlier in this thread. But may be, you cannot "read"......lol.

BTW, I am wondering what would qualify to call you a "non-fraudulent shyster"?. Do you have any degrees from reputable unis/colleges, and do you have some publications to your credit that demonstrate your scholarship in any field? I am asking this because my life experience tells me that those who cannot claim anything to their credit have the biggest mouths. Bill Grover may have a second-class doctorate from Unizul but as he says himself this was "earned" at the age of 61 after retiring from a career as a High School teacher. If he is playing now the role of a "scholar" and "professional" in tertiary education, this is a self-serving muppet show as he has not spent the major part of his life in that field - unlike me; I have taught at real universities in Europe and abroad for decades; and I know how to communicate within my own scholarly community while Grover does not - he even does not know how to debate in a scholarly manner because he never passed a disputation as one of the requirements for a doctorate.

In your case, besides retorting to 13 year old teenage level of dispute and your claim of knowing Jesus, there is not much else that I can see you could claim to your credit. So, in case of the a fraudulent shyster, I suggest you look in the mirror - perhaps it is you who should not participate in an exegetic "debate" because of lacking competence...hehehhe!
Vice

Postby John Bear » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:09 am

The pseudonymous (presumably) "Vice" writes to Levicoff, "So, do you have the balls to tell me your real name."

You know, I've wondered the same thing. And I forgot to ask to see his driver's license the several times we met in person. So I do a Google search for "Steve Levicoff" and there are 1,090 hits, covering his career, his numerous books, his credentials, the Wikipedia article on him, and so on.

Then I do a Google search for "Vice" (just in case that is his real name) and get 213,000,000 hits, beginning with, "Vice is a practice or a habit considered immoral, depraved, and/or degrading in the associated society."

Incidentally, using one of the popular people-finding free websites, it took me 9 seconds to find a mailing address for Levicoff.
John Bear

Postby Vice » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:43 am

John Bear wrote:The pseudonymous (presumably) "Vice" writes to Levicoff, "So, do you have the balls to tell me your real name."

You know, I've wondered the same thing. And I forgot to ask to see his driver's license the several times we met in person. So I do a Google search for "Steve Levicoff" and there are 1,090 hits, covering his career, his numerous books, his credentials, the Wikipedia article on him, and so on.

Then I do a Google search for "Vice" (just in case that is his real name) and get 213,000,000 hits, beginning with, "Vice is a practice or a habit considered immoral, depraved, and/or degrading in the associated society."

Incidentally, using one of the popular people-finding free websites, it took me 9 seconds to find a mailing address for Levicoff.

Well, internet research is one thing and a similar name possibly relating to different persons another. For me, this is not good enough; I would better make sure by using other sources (if available) as well. Maybe, for you, John Bear, a superficial internet search may be good enough, and if it is, then it is quite likely that there will be many factual errors in your published guide on distance learning. People on another board say that you are the one who listed a distance school as legitimate while it was not and turned out to be a degree mill at the end. Other people on the same board make the claim according to which you used to operate a degree mill yourself. So far as on "associated society".

Levicoff - whether a genuine name or alias - is a no-name and nobody to me. Should I know him for scholarly purposes? No, I think not.

As for the problem of degree mills in general - yes, they are a plague that all of us better would do without. But as you well know yourself, degree mill operations do have their roots in the US - a country where you are from. Europe has a very different system with its universities and colleges traditionally state-run and not by a private set-up. So, it you (rightly) want to blame degree mills for what they are, you should critisize the system in your own country.

As for a Wikipedia article on someone or something, this is nothing I could really respect. Any nobody can write an article on himself or have it written by a friend if his ego asks for it. Information given in such an article may be accurate, partly or not accurate at all. Real scholars famous for a certain work or achievement get listed in more serious publications with a name to trust and to rely on. Wikipedia is no such source. But again, that´s typical for someone like you to be satisfied with superficial research. And it is what makes me believe that your so-called guide on Distance learning could not be much better in terms of research quality either.
Vice

Postby levicoff » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:47 am

Vice wrote:Levicoff, I have the balls to sue you as well. This presupposes that you communicate your personal details like your real name and do not remain one of the many faceless cowards around here. Nicks and aliases do not help. So, do you have the balls to tell me your real name and where you live?

Put up or shut up.

Seriously, this thread continues to get funnier. This wazoo is the second guy here in the last month or so to question whether I had any credentials at all. (I'm sure most of our readers remember the last one, which was too golden for words, especially the "What degrees do you have, and what seminary do you teach at?" part.)

Only one observation need be made here - I have never participated in the writing or editing of the Wikipedia piece on me. I understand that it's considered unethical for someone to edit their own Wiki piece, and I have respected that over the years - in fact, I have never contributed to Wikipedia at all, although I consult it on a regular basis.

As for where I live, that's the easiest answer around - it's right in this post. Since 1996, when I moved from my last home, I live "somewhere in a truck." Like Kerouac, quite simply, I live on the road - and wouldn't have it any other way (at least until I get too old to do what I do). There's nothing like traveling around the country in my "camper with a big-ass box on the back of it."

But once again, we have in Muhammed an example of a king with 1,000 trops who sends them against a king with 10,000 troops. One of the few things I have chosen to do "without" for the past few years, on principle, is a television. Unlike most long-distance truckers, I do not have a TV on board. So if I were asked about any of the current top 10 TV shows, I would know nothing about them or their stars. But before commenting on them, I'd sure do some research instead of shooting from the hip like Muhammed does.

Now, the Bible says we should never say about anyone, "Raca!" - in other words, never call a person a fool. So I won't. I'll just stick to calling Muhammed a fraud and a rip-off. And, despite any knowledge of exegesis he may have, an incompetent nincompoop when it comes to research.

But Muhammed, stick around. You're great for entertainment. With you here, who needs television? :roll:
levicoff

Postby John Bear » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Levicoff: "So if I were asked about any of the current top 10 TV shows, I would know nothing about them or their stars."

1. American Idol (Wednesday night)
2. American Idol (Tuesday night)
3. Dancing With The Stars
4. CSI
5. NCIS
6. The Mentalist
7. Desperate Housewives
8. Two And A Half Men
9. Criminal Minds
10. CSI: Miami

And, just for fun, here's the list for 1959
1. Gunsmoke
2. Wagon Train
3. Have Gun Will Travel
4. The Danny Thomas Show
5. The Red Skeleton Show
6. Father Knows Best
7. 77 Sunset Strip
8. The Price is Right
9. Wanted: Dead or Alive
10. Perry Mason
John Bear

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Vice wrote:And yes, as a registered member it is my good right to participate in any debate - even on that on exegetic issues. Who are you to tell me that I may not?

I don't have any objection. The board's owner might though, seeing as how you've already been banned here at least once. (Most recently as 'assalamu44' I believe.) Re-registering over and over with new logins is probably a violation of the board's terms of service.
It is a topic that I am very much interested in, and since I have been trained in that (as well as in other fields of Theology), I may also have something to contribute.

This isn't a theology discussion board. It's a distance-learning discussion board.

Seeing as how you are awarding your own advanced degrees in theology through your IFTS, your training in the subject that you teach does have some relevance, I guess. You seem to me to be largely self-taught in religion. (Your legitimate doctorate is in linguistics.) There's nothing wrong with being self-taught certainly, it's a wonderful thing. But it might be a weak base from which to award advanced degrees. That's especially true when the degrees aren't being awarded by a recognized educational institution.
Bill Grover may have a second-class doctorate from Unizul but as he says himself this was "earned" at the age of 61 after retiring from a career as a High School teacher. If he is playing now the role of a "scholar" and "professional" in tertiary education, this is a self-serving muppet show as he has not spent the major part of his life in that field - unlike me

I have the greatest respect and fondness for Bill Grover's following his lifelong dream in his 60's. His doctorate may be from a low-prestige institution, but it's indubitably a legitimate degree and it's actually in the field that he teaches. He doen't pretend to be the pope of any imaginary religious denomination. He doesn't inflate his own credentials and he doesn't unilaterally award advanced degrees on his own initiative. He doesn't misrepresent what he's doing. He just teaches some classes online and advises some students. He's probably pretty good at it too, if his scrupulousness and attention to detail on the discussion boards is any indication. His students are lucky to have him. If evangelical exegesis was my thing (it isn't) I'd be eager to study with Bill Grover. Not because I could use his name to impress people, but because I sense that he could actually teach me the craft.
I have taught at real universities in Europe and abroad for decades; and I know how to communicate within my own scholarly community while Grover does not - he even does not know how to debate in a scholarly manner because he never passed a disputation as one of the requirements for a doctorate.

You have yet to explain the "Federal US States Law" that you assure your students validates and legitimizes the degrees that you award them. You can't very well applaud your own superior disputation prowess while you run from your own words on your own website.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Vice wrote:As for the problem of degree mills in general - yes, they are a plague that all of us better would do without. But as you well know yourself, degree mill operations do have their roots in the US - a country where you are from. Europe has a very different system with its universities and colleges traditionally state-run and not by a private set-up. So, it you (rightly) want to blame degree mills for what they are, you should critisize the system in your own country.

You are playing all the emotional keys like a pianist, aren't you? Now the troll-tune is nationalism.

So my question to you Muhammad is -- if the American educational system is the breeding ground of degree mills, then why in the world do you claim that the degrees that you are unilaterally awarding your own students in Africa or wherever are mysteriously made legitimate and valid by some unspecified "US Federal States Law"? How does a very doubtful South Carolina seminary's exemption from government regulation inside that state translate into American legal backing and validity for things that a separate school does on a different continent?

It's self-defeating to simultaneously suck up to the United States while you are putting it down.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:It's self-defeating to simultaneously suck up to the United States while you are putting it down.

AM RADIO HOST
Tell Barack Obama!

SFX: RIMSHOT

SIDEKICK
Like you put down a dog.

</drift! sorry>
Jonathan Whatley

Postby Bill » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:
Bill Grover may have a second-class doctorate from Unizul but as he says himself this was "earned" at the age of 61 after retiring from a career as a High School teacher. If he is playing now the role of a "scholar" and "professional" in tertiary education, this is a self-serving muppet show as he has not spent the major part of his life in that field - unlike me

I have the greatest respect and fondness for Bill Grover's following his lifelong dream in his 60's. His doctorate may be from a low-prestige institution, but it's indubitably a legitimate degree and it's actually in the field that he teaches. He doen't pretend to be the pope of any imaginary religious denomination. He doesn't inflate his own credentials and he doesn't unilaterally award advanced degrees on his own initiative. He doesn't misrepresent what he's doing. He just teaches some classes online and advises some students. He's probably pretty good at it too, if his scrupulousness and attention to detail on the discussion boards is any indication. His students are lucky to have him. If evangelical exegesis was my thing (it isn't) I'd be eager to study with Bill Grover. Not because I could use his name to impress people, but because I sense that he could actually teach me the craft.

----------
HG

Thank you so much.

To Whomever: Regarding my formal education, I completed two public teaching credentials in two subject areas from two regionally accredited universities. When getting the last I was a graduate teaching assistant at OSU under Dr. Ahrendt.I also completed the work for three master's degrees from two regionally accredited schools. The last of these was the ThM. The ThM cumulatively requires four years of full time graduate study, two languages, and a thesis which must be defended. The thesis took me two years (part time) and I received an "A' for each of those four semesters in the early 1990s. The thesis committee was Dr. Carl Laney and Dr. James De Young , both of whom have doctorates from Dallas TS. The Th.M . by some schools, as the Baptist Seminary in PA, is considered work toward the PhD. During the MDiv/ThM work, I was teaching school full time while studying part time.

I was still teaching school-- and over 35 years four school districts paid me for my graduate coursework-- when I began the Unizul doctorate in 2001 at 61 years of age. During the last year with Unizul, I had retired. In 2005, at the age of 65, I received the DTh. The dissertational committee was composed of Drs. Pitchers,Greyling, and Smit, of THREE different public universities. I have their comments on the dissertation, and these comments were very positive! Dr. Derickson, of Corban College, who has his PhD from Dallas TS, also read the dissertation in 2005 and has told me that it is the equal of those required by Dallas.

Since 2005 I have lectured at the Sacramento branch of Western Seminary, presented a reading to the NW branch of Evangelical Theological Society, worked with Faith Seminary of Salem, been given two contracts with SATS, published three articles for the SATS journal, and co authored a book with H. Wayne House. I keep busy at 69 years of age with little time available to go fishing! But I feel so grateful for still being useful at my age.

If anyone questions the virtue or value of my formal training, I suggest they contact SATS, counter my three online articles, or contact House, Derickson, Pitchers, Smit, Greyling, Pitchers, De Young,Laney, and the Grossmont, Wasco ESD, Newberg, and Cascade school districts, OSU or Ahrendt, and USD.

Again, HG, thank you for your very kind comments.
Bill Grover
Faculty, http://www.satsonline.org
BA,(Bible),ThB -1966, SCTS
MA (Religion)- 1968, PL Naz Uni
Tea Creds USD (Lang Arts)-1969/OSU (Spec Ed)1978
MDiv (Equiv)-1992 and ThM (Biblical Studies)-1994, Western Seminary
D.Th. (Theology)-2005 Unizul
Bill

Postby Vice » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:27 pm

levicoff wrote:But Muhammed, stick around. You're great for entertainment. With you here, who needs television? :roll:

I am glad to hear that. Would it be correct to conclude from your latest input that you have no permanent address and are something like homeless?
I need to have more exact personal data to sue you.
Vice

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs