Regarding Dr. Muhammad Schmidt and NationsUniversity

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Father Sarducci?

Postby g-gollin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Gosh, could that be Father Guido Sarducci in the center?
g-gollin

Urgent need? Phone us. No, wait . . .

Postby John Bear » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:18 pm

From the Orthodox Eparchy site:

Weekly Schedule
Holy Sacraments: Upon Request
Counseling: By Appointment
Vocations: By Guided Studies
International Administration: by the Bishop Primus
Incardinatin or Information: Contact our office
Urgent Needs: Call us anytime

Feeling an urgent need, I decided to call. But of more than 30 comparable Japanese churches listed in NetMinistries (http://netministries.org/cgi-bin/nmform02.exe), the Orthodox Eparchy is the only one with no address or telephone.
John Bear

Re: Regarding Dr. Muhammad Schmidt and NationsUniversity

Postby Hungry Ghost » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:50 pm

mineralhh wrote:Some notes from the sideline to those who are actually interested in the topic:
1. Dr. Schmidt has legitimate credentials, including a doctoral degree and a habilitation...

The subject of his legitimate doctorate is linguistics, I believe.
1. The self-reference "Dr. phil. Muhammad Schmidt, M..A., M.R.S. (NU/USA), Th.D. (ICW/USA)" is in violation with german laws, due to the unaccredited status of NU in Germany; this reference would need to be removed.

ICW is defiantly unaccredited. Nations University looks like Cal Tech compared to it.

http://www.icwseminary.org/deception.htm and http://www.icwseminary.org/wa_slaps_god.htm
My personal summary: Dr. Schmidt has fine academic credentials.

At least the linguistics doctorate looks fine.

Schmidt doesn't seem to have any conventional qualifications in Christian theology or in religion more generally, which are the subjects that he's teaching these days. The Nations University masters may or may not be a semi-credible unconventional credential, depending on what one thinks of NU. The ICW ThD looks like a vanity degree.

There wouldn't really be any controversy at all if Schmidt was teaching linguistics at a conventional institution. There wouldn't even be very much controversy if he was just offering his own non-credit classes in whatever religious tradition has caught his attention at the moment, perhaps capped off with a certificate of completion or something. I might even be faintly inclined to think that was kind of cool.

The biggest problem that I see is his unilaterally awarding advanced degrees entirely on his own authority and initiative, outside the United States, while making false and misleading claims to his prospective students about those degrees being backed up and validated by United States law.

(To tell the truth, I'm a little put off by all the grandiosity and ecclesiastical wierdness as well. I'm generally very tolerant of other people's religious practice as long as it stays out of my face, but the credibility of the ecclesiastical stuff really does influence the credibility of the religious education stuff.)
Hungry Ghost

Postby Hungry Ghost » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Vice wrote:These details do not change the fact that your doctorate and the procedure behind are not equivalent to the general standards of a doctorate in Europe because of the oral defense of your thesis missing. In these terms, it is a second-class doctorate. Period.

Of course, one could argue that the European-style dissertation-only doctorate is not equivalent to the general standards of a doctorate in the United States, because coursework, breadth requirements and comprehensive examinations are missing. In these terms, many European universities award second class doctorates. Period.

Nevertheless, the Europeans still manage to muddle through somehow.

(They could probably even come up with counter-arguments why their degrees are superior to American degrees, if they were motivated.)

In real life, international comparisons of degree requirements will always have to take those kind of regional variations into account. Differences in degree syllabi may or may not be important. Credential evaluation is more of an art than a science.

The fact remains that here in the United States, degrees from properly recognized South African universities are universally accepted as fully legitimate accreditation-equivalent degrees. Many individuals with ZA degrees live and work in this country. Nobody has any problem with that. The same thing is true in Europe, I'm sure.
Hungry Ghost

Re: Father Sarducci?

Postby Malcolm Jenner » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:37 pm

g-gollin wrote:Gosh, could that be Father Guido Sarducci in the center?

If you are referring to the photo in the previous post then the answer is clearly "no". Centre and right are two bishops - only the one on the left is a priest.
Malcolm Jenner

Re: Father Sarducci?

Postby Stanislav » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Malcolm Jenner wrote:
g-gollin wrote:Gosh, could that be Father Guido Sarducci in the center?

If you are referring to the photo in the previous post then the answer is clearly "no". Centre and right are two bishops - only the one on the left is a priest.

I believe the one in the centre is His Eminence Daniel of Japan, Archishop of Tokyo, Metropolitan of All Japan. Vladyko Daniel was subject of a minor Internet flashmob, taking lead in interactive "vote for next Patriarch of Russia" poll (Japanese Orthodox Church formally answers to Moscow, and His Eminence was delegate to the last Synod of Bishop and theoretically could be elected).
Stanislav

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Vice wrote:...Levicoff, if you quote "raca" from the Bible, please take more care to be exact. Raca for example occurs in the Greek text of Mt. 5:22 but is not as Greek but an original Aramaic word (the Greek word would most likely be moros ). The original meaning of Aramaic Raca could be rendered more precisely as "a brainless person who is incapable of life because of that"...lol. Now, fool would not be the appropriate English translation as there is much more in the original meaning of that Aramaic word. To whom you or I may apply this term is a question that I want to leave undebated here as this seems to be too much far-off topic...lol.

Actaully, Mr. Schmidt, a number of Assyrian scholars state that "Raca" means "I spit on you."
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:46 pm

Stanislav wrote:...So Vladyko Schmidt is an impostor. It is quite clear that his "Eparchy" has nothing to do with the real, autonomous Orthodox Church of Japan http://www.orthodoxjapan.jp/

Schmidt's group shows some connection to The International Free Protestant Episcopal Church which shows some connection to the Free Protestant Episcopal Church, a church that had a connection to one Gordon DaCosta, former Indiana degree mill owner.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Vice wrote:...What about the Southern Baptist Convention and its alleged links with the Ku-Klux clan in the USA?...

There is no substantiation of SBC links with the KKK. Yes, individual SBC members and pastors were Klan members as were many denominational pastors and members. Even the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) had Klan members in their midst, especially in rural Indiana.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby levicoff » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Wow . . . is this thread still continuing?

Oh, well . . . Just thought I'd take a moment to let Muhammad know that I'm still laughing at him. :lol:
levicoff

Postby John Bear » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:59 am

Jimmy: "...Schmidt's group shows some connection to The International Free Protestant Episcopal Church which shows some connection to the Free Protestant Episcopal Church, a church that had a connection to one Gordon DaCosta, former Indiana degree mill owner."

John: "Bishop" DaCosta was the founder-president of Indiana Northern University, whose campus was a dairy farm in Gas City, where Paul Saltmann, founder of Kennedy-Western University got his doctorate. DaCosta also founded the International Accrediting Commission, which, after being closed following a Missouri Attorney General's clever sting operation, morphed into the current Accrediting Commission International.
John Bear

Postby Jimmy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:10 am

John Bear wrote:...John: "Bishop" DaCosta was the founder-president of Indiana Northern University, whose campus was a dairy farm in Gas City, where Paul Saltmann, founder of Kennedy-Western University got his doctorate. DaCosta also founded the International Accrediting Commission, which, after being closed following a Missouri Attorney General's clever sting operation, morphed into the current Accrediting Commission International.

DaCosta also founded the short-lived Accrediting Association of Specialized Colleges housed in Farmland, IN at Crossroads Bible College and Graduate School of Divinity, which was housed in a former funeral home. Graduation services were held at Farmland Friends Church.

The President of Crossroads, Dr. Robert A. Shockney, held degrees from American Bible College. Shockney founded the Evangelical Christian Church, headquartered in Farmland and claimed it was an original denomination founded by Horace Bushnell. Bushnell was said to have been the "spiritual head of the Evangelical Christian Church." Bushnell was a liberal Congregational minister.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Family tree

Postby John Bear » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:25 am

Many years ago, I had a family tree diagram going, that suggested that just about every then-unaccredited school was connected in some way with any other.

Fred Calabro, the founder of Kensington was California Coast's lawyer. Forte left Kensington to start Pacific Western. Tom Lavin left Kensington to start Bedford and a few others. Ray Chasse left Pacific Western to start American Coastline, Summit, and a bunch of others. Frank McConnell left California Coast to start the University of Beverly Hills. Paul Saltmann left Beverly Hills to start Kennedy-Western. Don Breslow left Beverly Hills to start Century. Saltmann's doctorate was from DaCosta's Indiana Northern. Ray Sarna left Beverly Hills to start Louisiana Pacific. The president of one of the big California-authorized schools originally claimed his doctorate from Ernie Sinclair's Atlanta Southern. Sinclair later started California Pacifica and Hollywood Southern. And on and on and on.

It grew unwieldy and I stopped long ago. But I'd love to see it updated.
John Bear

Motion to designate as a nuisance litigant

Postby some gobbledygook » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:39 pm

:roll:
some gobbledygook

Postby samiam » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:55 am

John Bear wrote:Steve Levicoff: "...Anyway, this does raise the concept of "Six Degrees of Separation." Let's see . . . If memory serves me, I have actually been with John, Jonathan, Chip, and from the really old days, Dennis. And, come to think of it, Martin Spillane..."

John Bear: I see a sociogram arising. I've met (in person), among others, Steve, Chip, George Gollin, Hungry Ghost, Tom Nixon, George Brown, and from the distant past, Martin Spillane, John Wetsch, Russ Blahetka, Larry McQueary, Gregg DesElms, and, from the early days of alt.education.distance, David Yamada.

I feel hurt, you met me.... in Vegas...
samiam

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs