Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Those three degrees are for Costa Rica only.

Outside of Costa Rica they are authorized to grants degrees such as Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates.

You may contact Dr. William Zamora for more information.

E-mail: info@unem.edu

I do not have anything else to say to you.

Thanks.

JS.
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:58 pm

You do not have all the information.

Those three degree are for Costa Rica only.

According to my knowledge UNEM has the authority to grant degrees outside Costa Rica Only such as Bachelors, Masters and doctorates.

This is a separate entity from Ministerio de Educacion Pública de Costa Rica:

UNEM is authorized (by Asesoría Legal del Ministerio de Educación No. ATJ-167-CONESUP) to operate internationally and to grant Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates Degrees with International Agreements with others universities (Outside Costa Rica only).

If you need more information you may contact Dr. William Zamora

I do not have anything else to say to you.

Thanks.

JS.
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby Gus Sainz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:19 pm

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:Outside of Costa Rica they are authorized to grants degrees such as Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates.

Wait a minute!

You claimed to be a graduate of “Empresarial University of Costa Rica.”

You said the name on your degree was “Empresarial University of Costa Rica.”

Is “Empresarial University of Costa Rica” a different and separate entity from Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica?

I ask because Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica, only has authority to issue the three degrees previously mentioned. If your degrees are from a different entity called “Empresarial University of Costa Rica,” where is it located and from whom does it derive its degree granting authority? If your alma mater is a distinct and separate entity, why do you keep referring to Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica’s authority to grant degrees?

On the other hand, if your degrees are actually from Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica, why do you persist in claiming they have the authority to grant any degree it wants outside of Costa Rica? Since it wasn’t CONESUP or the MEP (not that they could), WHO granted them this authority?

I ask you these questions, Dr. Strazzeri, because as a faculty member at a regionally accredited U.S institution (based on your degree from “Empresarial University of Costa Rica”) and an "expert" on credential evaluation who maintains his own Web site (see HERE) promoting such services (albeit one claiming “accreditation” from the eminently dubious AAHEA (see HERE), you should be well versed with these issues.
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Do not confuse things.

Empresarial University of Costa Rica is the same of Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica

UNEM is authorized to grant degrees from a separate entity called: Legal Department of the Costa Rican Ministry of Education.

UNEM is authorized by (Asesoria Legal del Ministerio de Educación No. ATJ-167-CONESUP) to operate internationally and to offer international programs and to grant Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates Degrees with International Agreements with others universities.
THIS AUTHORIZATION IS FOR OUTSIDE COSTA RICA ONLY.

IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION:

jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby Gus Sainz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:13 pm

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:Do not confuse things.

Empresarial University of Costa Rica is the same of Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica

UNEM is authorized to grant degrees from a separate entity called: Legal Department of the Costa Rican Ministry of Education.

UNEM is authorized by (Asesoria Legal del Ministerio de Educación No. ATJ-167-CONESUP) to operate internationally and to offer international programs and to grant Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates Degrees with International Agreements with others universities.
THIS AUTHORIZATION IS FOR OUTSIDE COSTA RICA ONLY.

IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION:

¡Ay Caramba!

Listen, doctorcito (sorry for the Cantinflas reference—my mother made me watch all his films when I was growing up), Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica has the legal authority to only grant THREE degrees. This legal authority is an institutional authority, and, as a Costa Rican institution, applies everywhere in the world.

The Asesoria Legal del Ministerio de Educación No. ATJ-167-CONESUP that UNEM cites so often is not an AUTHORIZATION so much as an EXCEPTION. It basically states that UNEM cannot not offer any other degrees in Costa Rica, but if it wants to market other degrees outside of the country, it must be done in conjunction with another legitimate, duly authorized, institution. In other words, UNEM may provide the means and the instruction, but the degree itself and oversight must come from the other institution. Neither CONESUP nor the MEP can authorize anything outside of Costa Rica.

In other words (at the risk of repeating myself), any degree issued by Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica aside from the aforementioned THREE, according to CONESUP, is fraudulent. Mr. Zamora chastised the previous owners for engaging in this subterfuge (he characterized it as fraudulent and dangerous), but, according to you, it seems he is continuing this practice.
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Interesting Reading

Postby devilsadvocate » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:41 pm

Hello Folks,

I found the attached PDF posted online. The acceptance of the university seems very interesting. Wow, NACES too.

http://www.rt3s.com/Canada_Revenue_1.pdf

Regards,

Harley
devilsadvocate

Re: Interesting Reading

Postby Gus Sainz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:47 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:Hello Folks,

I found the attached PDF posted online. The acceptance of the university seems very interesting. Wow, NACES too.

http://www.rt3s.com/Canada_Revenue_1.pdf

Regards,

Harley

Acceptance should be great for the THREE degrees (B.A. Business, B.A. Accounting, M.B.A.) it is authorized to issue.

Any other degrees issued by Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica aren't legitimate. Hell, they aren't even legal. :roll:
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Article 8 of Costa Rican law 6693-81

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:05 am

For Everyone's Information

Article 8 of Costa Rican law 6693-81 establishes that "once its operation has been authorized, any private university shall enjoy total liberty to develop its academic activities and curriculum as well as its study plans and the establishment of degree programs" (Conesup decree No. 270-98; official English translation issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Costa Rica). Appearance of a degree on the "Carreras Aprobadas" ("Approved Careers") list published by the Consejo Nacional de Educacion Superior (Conesup) does only indicate that a given degree is recognized as entrance qualification to a specific professional career. This however does not diminish the validity of any degree, awarded by a fully accredited private university, which does not appear on the list.

Regards,

Harley
devilsadvocate

Re: Article 8 of Costa Rican law 6693-81

Postby Gus Sainz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:22 am

devilsadvocate wrote:For Everyone's Information

Article 8 of Costa Rican law 6693-81 establishes that "once its operation has been authorized, any private university shall enjoy total liberty to develop its academic activities and curriculum as well as its study plans and the establishment of degree programs" (Conesup decree No. 270-98; official English translation issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Costa Rica). Appearance of a degree on the "Carreras Aprobadas" ("Approved Careers") list published by the Consejo Nacional de Educacion Superior (Conesup) does only indicate that a given degree is recognized as entrance qualification to a specific professional career. This however does not diminish the validity of any degree, awarded by a fully accredited private university, which does not appear on the list.

Regards,

Harley

I’m sorry, devilsadvocate (how appropriate), but it seems your aren’t familiar with Costa Rica, its laws, CONESUP, or the Ministerio de Educación. Are you even fluent enough in Spanish to navigate their Web sites and understand what you read?

What you just quoted was an anonymous entry in a pseudopedia. If you consider this an authoritative source, take a gander at THIS. Guess which institution isn’t listed as a private university in Costa Rica?

That’s right. Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica isn’t even listed. :roll:
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:48 am

Thanks to Mr. Harley for your support.

I do teach Spanish as an Adjunct Faculty, one subject only.

I did not know about this law from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Costa Rica.

UNEM is a fully accredited private university. UNEM is listed in the majority of websites lists of Costa Rican Private Universities. UNEM is listed in the world list of private universities.

They do not have a full list of the private universities because they are so many, they listed the biggest private
universities. UNEM is very small.

Thanks again to Mr. Harley.
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby Gus Sainz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:13 am

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:Thanks to Mr. Harley for your support.

I do teach Spanish as an Adjunct Faculty, one subject only.

I did not know about this law from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Costa Rica.

This is not surprising since the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Costa Rica never issued such a law (not that they could). :roll:

But enough about Empresarial. Why don't you tell us how you think Century University is also a great institution? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:21 am

To: Mr. Gus Sainz, Administrator

You called me doctorcito and I let you know that my degree cost me 3 and a half years to get it. To study online it takes more work and more effort than traditional school. You must be autodidact and very responsible. I am 59 years old and I have been living in 4 countries and I have been in school all my life and I have 7 degrees.

I wish a very nice evening.

Thanks

JS.
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby Gus Sainz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 am

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:I am 59 years old and I have been living in 4 countries and I have been in school all my life and I have 7 degrees.

I do not doubt that you have worked very hard for your degrees. I have heard that many times before.

How many of your degrees are from Century University and how many are degrees from Empresarial (that aren't one of the three they are authorized to issue)?
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:34 am

I see that European-American University is claiming that it's "validated" by Universidad Empresarial.

http://www.thedegree.org/accreditation.html

That page says:

All degree programs of the University are reviewed and validated by the Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica (UNEM). The Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica has been accredited by the Consejo Nacional de Enseñanza Superior Universitaria Privada (CONESUP) of the Ministry of Education, Costa Rica, since 5 November 1997, and is listed in the International Association of Universities International Handbook of Universities. Graduates of an EAU program can go on to obtain a dual degree award from UNEM without further academic requirements, on payment of a validation fee.

That despite the fact that the Costa Rican authorities have only accredited three local Empresarial business programs, while E-A-U is awarding its own advanced degrees in all kinds of things ranging from theology to music.

What Empresarial is doing right now kind of reminds me of what was happening with MIGS a few years ago, except that this time it seems to be even more brazen.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Rich Douglas » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:49 am

Unless I'm missing something--and I've been looking at Empresarial for a veeeeeerrrrrrryyyyyy long time now--what we have is a MIGS-type situation. The school has a very limited degree-granting authority, but its national government really doesn't care what it does outside the nation's borders. So, it rents its name and degree-granting ability to people in the U.S. who run their programs and award--in this case--UNEM degrees. It is practically legal--Costa Rican authorities apparently don't care--but the situation won't stand scrutiny. Graduates are banking on a lack of scrutiny--usually a good bet. When I discovered MIGS' shenanigans, I contacted Florida authorities. They pressured MIGS to apply for state licensure or to shut down. MIGS shut down. William Zamora operates(ed) UNEM's doctoral programs from the U.S.

Degrees awarded by whatever means outside the ones UNEM is approved to offer are illegitimate. But who really checks such things?
Rich Douglas

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs