The AAHEA accreditation splooie

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: The AAHEA accreditation splooie

Postby hindi24 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:05 pm

This research is soooooo interesting. If we want to know who the "Dave Chesson, Legal Adviser" is for the AAHEA, take a look at his website. :lol: http://www.bbinfo.org/OmniHomeServices.htm
hindi24

Postby John Bear » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:07 am

Good find. And it gets better.

We learn from the website you provide that Dave Chesson is "Mr. Fixit" who gives "termite advice" and is a "handyman" and "pressure washer" and "painter" . . . and that his business, Omni Home Express, is a 5-star good-rated member of the BETTER BUSINESS -- um, not Bureau but "Information."

And then we learn from the site of Better Business -- um -- Information that it is run by what appears to say "Rev. David Chesson, Ph.D." who talks to us in a sort of British accent, urging us to join the organization.

When I called the BB, um, I, after unblocking my caller ID, I got a recorded message that said that this number "does not accept this kind of call," and ordered me to remove the number from my system."

Penultimately: if you desperately need termite advice, you're out of luck, because when you call the number for Omni Home Express, you find that it is not in service.

Finally, I'll leave it to better researchers than I to figure out if the probably-British-accented Dr. Dave Chesson is the same as a well-known British skateboarder named Dave Chesson who OD'd on morphine after an accident (http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/skate/word/690)
John Bear

Postby paparazzi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:41 am

hindi24 wrote:I couldn't resist, John. I think if you research this whole scam you will find that "Dave Chesson, Legal Advisor" and "Dr. De Mel" are all none other than one person who calls himself "Doc. B----" The guy's in a lot of trouble and just keeps digging himself in deeper. Maybe the feds will catch up with him sooner than later.

me neither I couldn't resist.I sent them some emails and here what i got:

me:

hello,

where are your accredited universities?

thx

their answer :d:d:d:d

All over the US and the world as well, Doc

again me as I was surprised:

You must be kidding.I'm sorry, but I cannot find any university's website with AAHEA as accreditor.

thx

and their scared answer:

No we are not kidding. What is it you want and who are you? Doc

:):)

I answered them but since no reply :d:d he or she or they...vanished!!
paparazzi

Barfley is "accredited" by AAHEA

Postby g-gollin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:31 pm

See "Regarding University of Berkley Accreditation" here:

http://www.berkley-u.edu/university_accreditation.html

Yowie Zowie, YoodleNoodles selling creds!
g-gollin

Picky, picky

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Um, well, technically, in every U.S. jurisdiction, at least so far as I know, anyone offering legal advice for a price, that is, every "Legal Advisor", actually needs to be a licensed attorney.

Especially if he/she/it describes himself/herself/itself as "Legal Advisor" to any sort of entity.

Sticky, sticky. :roll:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:02 pm

Oh, and before the good Rev. Dr. Termite Killer asks, yes, I am a licensed attorney at law in the Great State of New Mexico (just to the right of Arizona on the map, assuming that you hold it so North is up.)
nosborne48

Re: New Mexico

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:05 pm

and nestled (regrettably) in the arms of the Lone Star State to the east and south. But we try not to think about that. :mrgreen:
nosborne48

Re: New Mexico

Postby samiam » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:36 am

nosborne48 wrote:and nestled (regrettably) in the arms of the Lone Star State to the east and south. But we try not to think about that. :mrgreen:

HEY NOW!
samiam

Re: Can you say "busted?"

Postby g-gollin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:50 am

g-gollin wrote:See http://chronicle.com/daily/2008/08/4337n.htm
Monday, August 25, 2008

Inquiry Into Higher-Education Group Reveals Odd Connections
By THOMAS BARTLETT

The American Association for Higher Education and Accreditation began in 1870. Or so says its Web site.

But that claim, along with a number of others, falls apart on close inspection. For example, though it lists a Washington, D.C., location, that address turns out to be a UPS mailbox. Its actual headquarters are in Central Florida.

Most significantly, AAHEA has assumed the identity of a now-defunct organization with a similar name—the American Association for Higher Education. It has even acquired AAHE's old phone number. That comes as an unpleasant surprise to AAHE's former leadership, including Michael B. Goldstein, a higher-education lawyer with the Washington law firm Dow Lohnes, and a former member of AAHE's board. "Some of their activities appear, on their face, to be clearly unacceptable," he said...

You will be amused by this. The Wikipedia article "List of unrecognized accreditation associations of higher learning" has been the site of recent skirmishing between a YoodleNoodle using the handle "AAHEA20006" and those who preserve the accuracy of material in Wikipedia.

Check out the "history" tab for the article, in particular around January 14 of this year.
g-gollin

AAHEA hissy fit

Postby g-gollin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:20 pm

I do love their use of "Splooie" in the URL for the following material: http://www.aahea.org/AAHEAAccreditationSplooie.htm

This information is posted as a direct response to an illegal blog that a competitor has placed on the internet.

An open letter: “The AAHEA accreditation Splooie”

We stand on our almost 140 years of impeccable reputation and we do not feel we should have to even answer this kind of trash talk. However, we are also aware there are people out there that do not know and just accept what they read and therefore we will respond to the lies that have been posted.

First, we want to say that this is a direct result of ACCET- Roger J. Williams, who wants to try and destroy a great old organization and all in the name of making more money. Yes a competitor.

To hide their misdeeds, this accrediting organization turns to Mr. George Gollin to get him to do the dirty work by starting a post of lies in order to destroy our reputation. We have never had a single complaint or blemish on our record to date. When we answered all of the lies that were posted they just made fun of us and continued to do the same. The truth is not on their agenda. You see this is a left wing, self-acclaimed, self-appointed, advocate /activist according to the internet listings on him. http://www.dltruth.com/showthread.php?tid=320 He holds himself out as one man against the world to right all of the wrongs in education. He has no one to answer to or to control him when it’s off the track. The problem is, he is now one of the problems. We have tried in vain, everything to reason with this over the top man and it’s only made his quest on behalf of ACCET- Roger J. Williams, worse. He in fact, will not even talk to us. After reading his posting some may think he has lost touch with reality.http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/3 ... 350868.htm

He and his associates, according to several high powered attorneys, have broken several laws. So you may ask why then have you not gone after him? I will tell you. We are in one state, the accreditation organization (competitor) is in another, Gollin is in a different state and so we are talking about three states. Because of the amount of damage they have done we would end up in Federal Court in one state or another. The cost to do this is over $100,000 in legal fees alone and we would have to use the money the organization takes in for higher education in order to fight. None of the people, staff or directors of our organization are paid. Is this the right thing to do? Many may think so, but we must consider that the money we take in is for one purpose only and not for exorbitant legal fees.

We may ultimately have no choice, but that remains to be seen. Gollin has not stopped at lying/slandering but has now resorted to contacting a reporter by the name of Mr. Bartlett from some .com publication that he sent emails to hoping to further his agenda by providing all of the misinformation he hopes Bartlett will believe and run with and thus spread more lies. We, against the advice of council, talked at length, more than ½ hour, answering all of the questions put to us so it could all be cleared up but it appears the reporter had other ideas of his own. I guess that is why this particular reporter was contacted in the first place as Gollin already knew what Bartlett would do. We hoped he would be impartial and unbiased and tell the whole story and that does not look at this point as what will happen. Bartlett instead of investigating is interrogating and intimidating people and has even turned people against AAHEA by using the same lies he was told and we corrected and provided proof on.

The truth: We took this organization over in 2006 when it was left idle by the former board, headed by one, Clara Lovett, who took on the job as president to help this great old organization and was paid very handsomely to the tune of $250,000 a year plus benefits and two years before she walked away from it, she and the board were warned by the AAHE accounting firm that it would go under within two years if changes were not made immediately. This is during a time that they were taking in 7.7 million dollars and spending more then they took in. They employed 40 some odd people and in positions most of us never even heard of. Well you can image what happened. Clara with all of her many years of wisdom did nothing but drive it into the ground and walk away all while she was being paid a small fortune to save it. Yes, they left the ashes burning and went out to make more money elsewhere.

We, the voting members, who were never legally notified or voted on any closing, as is legally required by law, came along and got it back on its feet. It’s that simple. All legal and proper and the morally right thing to do. Now, what do you think Clara Lovett that tried to destroy this very old prestigious organization has had to say, great job? No, she was mad because she said “it could NOT be done and it could not continue to operate.” When the truth was, it could not continue to operate under the gross mismanagement of that board and specifically with Clara Lovett at the wheel. As you can see many years later it is not only survived but is once again operating and helping the higher education field with a surplus of funds and doing so with a small fraction of the revenue once taken in. Surprise, surprise! So now what can they say but, we took it over illegally and we cannot do that and we are not the original organization, ALL lies, with the intention to make them look better.

Oh yes and did I mention the fact that Clara Lovett illegally tried to dissolve the corporation in 2007 and did not succeed and she did it again in 2008 telling the DC Corporate people a pack of lies to put it down once again, the fact that was illegal made little difference to her. Telling lies and swearing to the lies under oath is apparently not a big issue to her or her associates.

A similar event happen in 1924 (as is posted on our web site) and it was in fact, left dormant that time for more than 20 years and then started back up again, but of course this is ok. Well the members of AAHE, including some lifetime members, that were literally cheated, are belonging once again and have a legal right to do so, unfortunately for Clara Lovett, she is not one of them.

We have been accused of fraud. Where is the fraud? No one gets paid, where is the fraud? There are 20 distinguished, dedicated directors of this great old organization, all of which are non-paid. Talk is cheap, so we say again, where is the fraud? Put up or shut up, is in order.

We will address two other points in the blog directly. ONE: “AAHEA URL was purchased from an old accreditation organization in order to gain some kind of benefit from that.” Nothing could be further from the actual truth. There is, in fact, NO truth to this. We purchased the URL the exact same way everyone gets a new URL. We got a new one to reflect our amended name AAHEA instead of AAHE.

TWO: AAHEA is not recognized by CHEA or the US Government to do accreditation. Yes in deed. What this lie fails to tell the reader is that no one gets that recognition until they serve a minimum of two years doing the accreditation work and then and only then can it be applied for. We are in that window period now and while in this time period ,we nor anyone else, can not under any circumstances be recognized.

We would like to mention to anyone interested, that this is not the only time the distinguished Clara Lovett messed up. One only needs to search her on line to find newspaper clippings on line that states she lied and cheated on a college she was overseeing and as a result she resigned under fire. Please see Flagstaff Tea Party Vol. 2 Issue 9 September 2001. Umm, makes you wonder doesn’t it? But that does not stop her from bad mouthing us. I guess one can understand, she has been humiliated as a direct result of her own actions. We are in a society where it’s always a better idea to blame someone else.

Please feel free to call us any time with ANY questions you may have.

In the meantime we will continue on to do the great work of Higher Education and on behalf of our many happy members worldwide,

The Board of Directors of AAHEA
8/15/2008
g-gollin

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Umm..."advice of counsel", please, not "council". I have enough trouble with my diet without having to feed more than one person.

Sooo...it takes two years to gain DoE recognition? Okay...so this organization should have obtained recognition 138 years ago, right?

And an organization can commit fraud by assisting another to obtain illegal gains through false representations. I'm not saying that happened here, but that's the law.

Well, after all, I'm not a "high powered attorney"; I'm more of the twirly bulb type...fairly low energy but I do occassionally shed light. :mrgreen:
nosborne48

Postby Bill Huffman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Perhaps the council that they are referring to that was giving them the high powered advice was the The Grand Council of Academic Frauds Wearing Silly Hats and Carrying Curtain Rods?
Bill Huffman

Re: AAHEA hissy fit

Postby Hungry Ghost » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:55 pm

g-gollin wrote:I do love their use of "Splooie" in the URL for the following material: http://www.aahea.org/AAHEAAccreditationSplooie.htm

It looks like this guy's tail was stepped on.

I say 'guy', since despite the 'board of directors' talk, the peculiar writing-style suggests that 'Hitman14/Dave Saucier' who appeared in this thread on 8-9-08 and the author of this not-entirely-coherent rant dated 8-15-08 are one and the same individual.

This guy squatting on the history and reputation of the defunct AAHE organization, and some in higher education simply swallowing it uncritically and lending it credence, is troubling.

Keep stomping on the tail.
Hungry Ghost

Re: AAHEA hissy fit

Postby Peter French » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:55 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:
g-gollin wrote:I do love their use of "Splooie" in the URL for the following material: http://www.aahea.org/AAHEAAccreditationSplooie.htm

It looks like this guy's tail was stepped on.

I say 'guy', since despite the 'board of directors' talk, the peculiar writing-style suggests that 'Hitman14/Dave Saucier' who appeared in this thread on 8-9-08 and the author of this not-entirely-coherent rant dated 8-15-08 are one and the same individual.

This guy squatting on the history and reputation of the defunct AAHE organization, and some in higher education simply swallowing it uncritically and lending it credence, is troubling.

Keep stomping on the tail.

This all quite sad. Many moon ago I was involved with a project with the 'real' AAHE. I can't any longer located the files but it related to the then possible future issues in non paper based version of distance education. The area I did my papers in was the downsides of traditional 'talk and chalk' teaching, which neve rreally worked in real live classrooms, yet seemed to be hte likely choice of several early entrants into IT based DE. It waqs an interesting exercise then in the early 1990s with some very ehtical and genuinely concerned people.

Isn't it interesting - Sri Lankan and Russian connections. It always makes me wonder how nearby Hoyer and Danzig may be. Nothing much ever changes does it?
Peter French
[Adequately qualified academically and professionally in Accounting, Education, Engineering & Law]
Adelaide Plains South Australia
Peter French

The AAHEA accreditation splooie redux reflux

Postby g-gollin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:35 am

An epoisses for everybody!

Yee-hah!

This too:
http://chronicle.com/article/Inquiry-Into-Higher-Educati/13518/
g-gollin

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs