Columbus University, Mississippi

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Is Columbus University a legitimate school or a degree mill?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:52 am

Legitimate school
4
40%
Degree mill
6
60%
 
Total votes : 10

Columbus University, Mississippi

Postby Mankind » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:52 am

Is Columbus University a legitimate school or a degree mill?

Thanks.
Miguel E. Stefan
Keiser University, Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting (In progress)
Tulane University, Master Certificate of Business Management
University of Dayton, Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing
Mankind
Senior Member
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:32 am
Location: Fort Pierce, FL

Re: Columbus University, Mississippi

Postby Arminius » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:03 pm

Mankind wrote:Is Columbus University a legitimate school or a degree mill?

Thanks.


The school does business through a P. O. Box. Ugh...

Arminius
Arminius
 

BECAREFUL

Postby Bullet » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:00 pm

Please, everyone becareful; there is a Columbus University in Panama (the Republic in Central America) and they are legitimate. So there is at least one legitimate Columbus University in the world (located in Panama).
Que mas?
Bullet
Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Che-Landia

Re: BECAREFUL

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:59 am

Bullet wrote:Please, everyone becareful; there is a Columbus University in Panama (the Republic in Central America) and they are legitimate. So there is at least one legitimate Columbus University in the world (located in Panama).


Really? I don't seem to find them listed as a Panamanian University. Perhaps you could provide a recognized reference?
Rich Douglas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Columbus University, Mississippi

Postby Hungry Ghost » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:49 am

Mankind wrote:Is Columbus University a legitimate school or a degree mill?
*************

They were operating out of Louisiana until that state tightened its regulations. They claim accreditation by WAUC, but that didn't satisfy the LA regents, who booted them.
Hungry Ghost
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2598
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:46 am

Re: Columbus University, Mississippi

Postby Gus Sainz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:45 am

Columbus University is indeed a legitimate private university in Panama, having been formed and authorized by an act of the legislature (State Decree Law 112-Year 1994) to offer both residential and distance education.

Contrary to what some degree mill operators would have you believe, a legitimate Panamanian school is not simply a matter of incorporating with the name “university” and procuring a business license. Like all of Panama’s other legitimate private universities, Columbus University not only falls under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education, but also is, by law, subject to the supervision of the University of Panama over the courses and degrees it offers.

In fact, there was somewhat of a scandal in May of last year involving the University of Panama. The Supreme Court of took away an attorney’s license to practice law after having deemed that it was based on a fraudulently obtained Columbus University diploma (see Diploma scandal hits just as University of Panama regent seeks more power).

All that having been said, Columbus University’s home page at http://www.columbus.edu.pa/ is still down after many months, as are the pages for their Schools of Medicine, Merchant Marine, Business, Education, Agribusiness, Social Science, and Law. Moreover, their Web site at http://www.columbus.edu still claims to be under construction, as well as some strange association with a Canadian venture (also after many months).

However, Columbus University’s School of Medicine is still listed in IMED (one of only three in Panama), a requirement for ECFMG Certification

So, although Columbus University’s (Panama) Web sites have been, shall we say, somewhat mysterious for quite a few months, it does indeed have a legitimate pedigree. On the other hand, Columbus University in Mississippi is a Tier 1 diploma mill.


P.S. As a great example of how careful one has to be with information from the Internet, as well as why diploma mills choose names identical or similar to legitimate institutions, Catalogue of World Universities correctly lists Columbus University as being located in Panama, but then provides a link to the mill in Mississippi. :roll:
Last edited by Gus Sainz on Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gus Sainz
Moderator
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Columbus University, Mississippi

Postby Hungry Ghost » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:33 am

Administrator wrote:Columbus University is indeed a legitimate private university in Panama, having been formed and authorized by an act of the legislature (State Decree Law 112-Year 1994) to offer both residential and distance education.
*************

I'm not convinced.

It appears that until 1994 there were only three universities in Panama: Universidad de Panamá, Universidad Técnica, and Universidad Santa María La Antigua (private, Catholic). In addition, Florida State University seems to have been operating a remote site operation there.

After the 1994 law, some 14 new private universities have suddenly appeared on the map.

Fourteen new private universities created in just ten years, in a relatively small, poor country? That sounds like a political attempt to shake up the higher education sector by injecting some market forces, but I'm not comfortable just accepting the results on faith. It would be nice to see some corroboration of these schools' credibility.

http://www.american.edu/initeb/cs6223a/itworkforce.htm
Hungry Ghost
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2598
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:46 am

What ever you feel.

Postby Bullet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:06 pm

Columbus University in Panama, the Republic of Panama is a Bona Fide University. I started medical school there; and some of my best friends graduated from there.

Here are some links:

http://www.prensa.com/educacion.shtml

http://www.elpanamaamerica.com.pa/archi ... _pix.shtml (notice it mentions she is a MEDICAL STUDENT)

http://www.panamcham.com/business_cente ... p?CODE=448


http://www.pa/consejo/tau1.htm (NATIONAL COUNCIL OF RECTORS OF PANAMA - WHAT ELSE CAN BE SAID???)

http://www.vicomex.gob.pa/texto/panama_ ... tunity.pdf (from an official government of Panama website)


http://www.ipat.gob.pa/centroeduca.html (another official government of PANAMA website)
Que mas?
Bullet
Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Che-Landia

More links

Postby Bullet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:10 pm

More links to prove that the Columbus University were I started my medical training is legit versus the DIPLOMA MILL in the USA:


http://www.mef.gob.pa/informes/Sectores ... rivada.asp (website to the Department of Treasury in Panama)


http://www.organojudicial.gob.pa/conten ... venios.htm (Here is a link to the Department of Justice in Panama)
Que mas?
Bullet
Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Che-Landia

World Health Organization and Panamerican Health Org.

Postby Bullet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:13 pm

Look and see who works in coordination with these very real Organziations:


http://www.ops-oms.org.pa/id17.htm


Ok, that is my last link, I just hate to see the confusion with one and the other.
Que mas?
Bullet
Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Che-Landia

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:11 pm

Any evidence that there is a real university in Panama named Columbus University? I don't mean lists, governmental or otherwise. I mean a campus, students, classes, that kind of stuff. If it is DL, how about evidence of curriculum, faculty, courses, etc.? And is the instruction in Spanish? Or is it set up in Panama as a convenience in order to market to foreigners? Just wondering.
Rich Douglas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

what more evidence do you need?

Postby Bullet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:38 pm

One of the biggest problems people face is coming to grips that Universities in latin america do not live and die by their website.

Proof of faculty? Facilities and the rest can be obtained by you getting on an airplane and going down there. Why? Because the website is down; but that still does not invalidate the fact that Columbus exists.

The website to the treasury department shows that Columbus gives out loans to students, the rest can be concluded by knowing that loans are not given to non-existent students, with non existent faculty at a non-existant school.
Que mas?
Bullet
Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Che-Landia

Re: what more evidence do you need?

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:42 pm

Bullet wrote:One of the biggest problems people face is coming to grips that Universities in latin america do not live and die by their website.

Proof of faculty? Facilities and the rest can be obtained by you getting on an airplane and going down there. Why? Because the website is down; but that still does not invalidate the fact that Columbus exists.

The website to the treasury department shows that Columbus gives out loans to students, the rest can be concluded by knowing that loans are not given to non-existent students, with non existent faculty at a non-existant school.


This isn't true. It happened quite recently when Senator Collins of Maine set up a fake school and got real student loans for fake students (including herself).

As for the website, I didn't make the comment you're arguing against. It is a strawman.

There seems to be a great deal of evidence that several operations have decided to use Panama as a haven for their operations, even though they're not organic to Panama. If so, Panama has become the latest Liberia. If this is incorrect, please offer more than unsupported statements.
Rich Douglas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

here we go

Postby Bullet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:31 pm

Sen. Collins (I presume) is not a Panamenian Legislator.

Panama - has 3 million + souls and not all that many Universities; the only Government lender in the country is IFHARU, none else. IFRARU extends loans to students @ Columbus University in Panama and no if you are not a Panamenian national you don't qualify...........so ref: sen collins, is another moot point; we are talking of two different worlds here.

If you choose to ignore the links I provided the board, that is fine. You are trying to approach Columbus University in Panama using American investigative methodology. No website = probable diploma mill ------- No faculty = Probable diploma mill...................................

A "faculty" page establishes a "employer-work" relationship (which means huge costs to the CCSS) and a webpage won't make or break a school in that neck of the woods.

Panmenians are like most of Latin American, the majority cannot afford computers (thus no internet), so most study on campus. Because Columbus does not have a working webpage does not affect its bottom line, it has plenty of students and more than campus and it's recognized by the government of Panama.
Que mas?
Bullet
Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Che-Landia

Postby Rich Douglas » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:57 pm

If Columbus University in Panama is recognized by that country's ministry of education (or equivalent), does anyone know a government website that lists it?

If so, isn't this off-topic (since the topic is "Unaccredited Programs)?

Do they offer DL? If not, isn't this OT and, thus, should be moved to the OT forum?

Just wondering.
Rich Douglas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Next

Return to Unaccredited Programs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron