"DLT" discussion forum

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: "DLT" discussion forum

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Um. Right...the math involved in quantum chromodynamics is, shall we say, somewhat involved? I kinda doubt anyone over there is even remotely equipped to follow it. I sure couldn't.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby John Bear » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:35 am

So I did a search for "quantum chromodynamics" and the first hit was a book on the subject that "fills a void by offering a readable introduction..."

Here's the Amazon summary. I assume a "reggeized gluon" has something to do with Bob Marley, but beyond that, I am a bit confused.

What is a Pomeron?:A basic introduction to Regge theory is provided.
A simple example: A simplified model of scalar gluons and quarks is used to illustrate many of the essential features of scattering at high energies.
The reggeized gluon: Turning to QCD, we first consider quark-quark scattering with colour octet exchange. The gluon is seen to reggeize.
The QCD Pomeron: We move on to study elastic scattering amplitudes (i.e. with colour singlet exchange) within QCD. We derive the BFKL equation and its solution.
From cuts to poles: The effect of including asymptotic freedom is studied along with some general methods designed to account for the non-perturbative effects in the theory.
Applications in deep inelastic scattering: The deep inelastic structure functions in the region of small Bjorken-x are examined. A more direct probe of the BFKL pomeron is provided by the more exclusive process, whereby an additional forward jet is required. This process is computed. Connection with the usual DGLAP formalism is illustrated. The role of coherence is also examined.
Diffraction: Rapidity gap processes are discussed. Large-t scattering is shown to provide an excellent test of the BFKL physics. Photon dissociation is discussed as a classic example of a diffractive process and the concept of a pomeron structure function introduced.
Taming the growth: The colour dipole approach to high energy scattering is discussed and shown to produce equivalent results to those previously derived for elastic scattering processes. Dipole re-scattering corrections are computed and shown to lead to a unitary amplitude.
Author/co-author
Bears Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning (first 15 editions)
Degree Mills: The Billion $ Industry That Has Sold ... a Million Fake Diplomas.
Send This Jerk the Bedbug Letter
John Bear

Postby Peter French » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:44 am

John Bear wrote:So I did a search for "quantum chromodynamics" and the first hit was a book on the subject that "fills a void by offering a readable introduction..."

Here's the Amazon summary. I assume a "reggeized gluon" has something to do with Bob Marley, but beyond that, I am a bit confused.

What is a Pomeron?:A basic introduction to Regge theory is provided.
A simple example: A simplified model of scalar gluons and quarks is used to illustrate many of the essential features of scattering at high energies.
The reggeized gluon: Turning to QCD, we first consider quark-quark scattering with colour octet exchange. The gluon is seen to reggeize.
The QCD Pomeron: We move on to study elastic scattering amplitudes (i.e. with colour singlet exchange) within QCD. We derive the BFKL equation and its solution.
From cuts to poles: The effect of including asymptotic freedom is studied along with some general methods designed to account for the non-perturbative effects in the theory.
Applications in deep inelastic scattering: The deep inelastic structure functions in the region of small Bjorken-x are examined. A more direct probe of the BFKL pomeron is provided by the more exclusive process, whereby an additional forward jet is required. This process is computed. Connection with the usual DGLAP formalism is illustrated. The role of coherence is also examined.
Diffraction: Rapidity gap processes are discussed. Large-t scattering is shown to provide an excellent test of the BFKL physics. Photon dissociation is discussed as a classic example of a diffractive process and the concept of a pomeron structure function introduced.
Taming the growth: The colour dipole approach to high energy scattering is discussed and shown to produce equivalent results to those previously derived for elastic scattering processes. Dipole re-scattering corrections are computed and shown to lead to a unitary amplitude.

G'day guys - back form the dead and now working for one of George Browns products.

I reckon it simply means the dimensions of the CHROME DOME of RR HILL
Peter French
[Adequately qualified academically and professionally in Accounting, Education, Engineering & Law]
Adelaide Plains South Australia
Peter French

QCD/GDG discussion forum

Postby g-gollin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:11 am

Regge is the Italian theoretical physicist Tulio Regge, very smart fellow, died some years ago. You'll want to stay away from the small Bjorken-x region: that corresponds to scattering with only a small amount of momentum transfer from the beam particle to the target, and QCD is difficult to use for collisions like that. Pomerons and Regge poles are things from the '60s, before QCD. We don't use those ideas now, since we have a real theory of the underlying physics that's going on.
g-gollin

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:56 pm

So the gluon DOESN'T grow dreadlocks? I'm so relieved.

I have actually heard of a couple of those things...isn't a color singlet a meson? And I recognize (but don't understand) the octet business...it has to do with multi-dimentional symmatry, doesn't it? I places a limit on the total number of combinations available or something.

Been a long time and I didn't understand it even then. I do recall that gluons can combine to form gluballs without any quarks. That's actually worse than dreadlocks, come to think of it. :?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby g-gollin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 am

g-gollin wrote:...the board's focus. What could it be?

I think we know now: DLT is primarily devoted to counting the hours until the owner of The Diploma Mill Formerly Known as St. Regis is released from prison. Curious pastime. 
g-gollin

"DLT" discussion forum down the oubliette.

Postby g-gollin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Now that all but one of the St. Regis felons are out of prison, DLT has largely run out of steam, except for the occasional howl about political matters not to the liking of the person holding most of the aliases. Is their domain going up for sale soon? Perhaps we should buy it and put it to something useful.
g-gollin

Re: "DLT" discussion forum down the oubliette.

Postby johann » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:09 pm

g-gollin wrote:Is their domain going up for sale soon? Perhaps we should buy it and put it to something useful.

No - NOBODY should ever touch it. It's like bidding on nuclear or hospital waste.... We should continue in our efforts to put this domain to best use!

Johann
johann

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:38 am

Wow..what an emphatic statement. I'll second that! :D
Matt

Postby GeeBee » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:28 pm

But maybe the "best use" for the DLT domain would be to buy it, and put up a web page that says "We apologize for all of the years of misinformation. If you are looking for useful info on distance learning, visite DegreeDiscussion.com."
GeeBee

Squirrelmania

Postby g-gollin » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:48 pm

g-gollin wrote:I want to be bone-dry in how I write this. Please ignore the small print

Robert Ray Hill (the person who explained that an unidentified hacker had made me a "World Information Distributed Umiversity Grand PhD and Full Professor") has announced on Degreeinformation DL the existence of a new forum named "DLT" ("DLT," somewhat like "BLT" which is a sandwich. Perhaps "DLT" is a sanbwich).

The DLT logo features a piece of the Statue of Liberty (that looks a lot like what was visible above the sands of post-apocalypse New York at the conclusion of Planet of the Apes) in its logo, perhaps to suggest something about the board's focus. What could it be? (Why it's perfectly obvious: punk hairstyles featuring spikes, or else How to Make Hats From Toothpicks.)

The first post in the first thread incorrectly identifies DegreeDiscussion as a "cancer." (I would have guessed "Libra" or maybe "Pisces.") This same post informs the naive visitor that "following [DD members'] advice is like drinking from the toilet. Yeah it's water but who wants to drink it." (Clearly, the poster has never owned a cat. Recall Colby Nolan, the cat who held an advanced degree from a self-accredited goat bag. Perhaps it is not Colby's cat-ness but the nature of his academic accomplishment that makes him seek water in unconventional, innovative locations.)

Most of the contents page for entry into the site is occupied by a "DL Hall of Shame" list (that names a number of people who are widely thought to be unsympathetic to the notion that a credit card that hasn't yet been maxed-out demonstrates life experience equivalent to a Masters of Business Administration). This would suggest that the site's major emphasis is not distance learning but something else (howling at the moon, or else something much like it).

And that's today's news.

In case you hadn't noticed, someone with ties to DLT hacked my DD account and posted something using my ident, then spread the silly thing around the web. Gus deleted the DD post and locked things down for a bit.

The little commotion going on at DLT is like a troupe of squirrels that's come upon an ear of corn in a bird cage: lots of agitation, but none of the rodents can figure out what to do with it. It's pretty funny to watch, and is probably keeping them out of trouble.

Book news: I'll have the second draft done in about a week.
g-gollin

SquirrelineRacer behind bars

Postby g-gollin » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Well, the forum administrator over there seems to have eaten the corn! But now he's stuck.

g-gollin

DLT guys slept through American History!

Postby johann » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Dr. Gollin,

No matter what scrabbling and squeaking occurs in the DLT squirrel cage, I don't care -- even if I were to hear the occasional new squeak that sounded like "Johann."

One thing did catch my eye, long ago, George - they were comparing you to Abraham Lincoln. It started with something like "Abe Lincoln - born in Illinois; George Gollin - works in Illinois."

Don't they know Abraham Lincoln was NOT born in Illinois? He was born in Kentucky and later raised in Indiana. He moved to Illinois - still with his family - when he was 21. How come it takes a non-American, like me, to correct them? Obviously, they slept through history like the rest of their classes.

Johann
johann

DLT guys slept through American History!

Postby johann » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Duplicate post - sorry. (Johann)
johann

Postby g-gollin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:00 pm

If I recall correctly, one of the YoodleNoodles said he'd rather get shot than drive a Saturn. Bad choice.
g-gollin

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs