American East Coast University

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

American East Coast University

Postby Sami Zain » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Would you pls help me to know if this (AECU) university accredited by the US Department of Education or any
Regional Accrediting agencies ???
This AECU Un. is offerring certificate, diploma, Masters Diploma, Associate Degree, Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral programs by Open distance learning mode....hope to find an answer to decide to move forward in registeration or not..??
Sami Zain

Re: American East Coast University

Postby Rich Douglas » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 pm

No. Why should it be?

First, the U.S. Department of Education doesn't accredit schools. It does recognize accrediting agencies who, in turn, accredit schools.

The regional associations are not in the habit of accrediting foreign schools (with some exceptions): "Licensed and Accredited by Ministry of Higher Education,
Republic of Guinea Bissau, West Africa" I'm not sure which region that would be.

It is not listed among the universities in Guinea Bissau.

It claims a lot of other authorizations. This is a tactic employed by diploma mills. I really don't feel like de-bunking them all. You could check these.

Assuming it is not operating as an approved university, it would not be considered comparable to accredited schools here in the U.S.

It doesn't look like a university. It looks like some else entirely.

They say: "Credits earned at AECU are FULLY TRANSFERRED to selected US universities for the award of US DEGREE." They also say: "American East Coast University (AECU) is a private university that offers Degree & Diploma Programs by Open distance learning. AECU is not an American University. AECU offers transfer programs to State Approved Universities in the US through its academic collaborations in the US." This is scammy. I'd want to know what schools accept credits from this thing. Good luck finding that out.

They award graduate credit for life experience. Are you getting the picture?

No faculty listed. Good luck verifying the few names they do use.

Almost no curricular information.

Attend this and they promise you'll get an American degree. (More on that in a second.)

This thingy swears it's not a U.S. school, but calls itself "American East Coast University." Oh, my.

No money is mentioned on the website. What does it cost to take a program from this thing that leads to a degree from a school they won't identify? Why would you even need to ask such a thing?

Bottom line: This is a scam to enroll non-U.S. students and award them diploma mill degrees from some fake operation either with state licensure somewhere or pretending to have it. Either way, it is a huge dead-end. (And the money? What do you bet they charge a fee to get going and just keep piling on the costs because you're stuck with them. Just a thought.)
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Sami Zain wrote:Would you pls help me to know if this (AECU) university accredited by the US Department of Education or any
Regional Accrediting agencies ???

No - it DEFINITELY does not have any recognized US accreditation - whatsoever. It is a private university that claims to be "licensed and accredited" by Guinea-Bissau. What, if any, standing that gives to the school's degrees is doubtful at best, to me. I think the school may very well have legal permission to operate - in Guinea-Bissau - and issue lawful-but-meaningless degrees, of no academic value whatsoever.

It further claims to have a transfer-credit agreement with some recognized US Universities, but gives no names or details. I am very, very suspicious. The University's parent company, the American Education Council, has a title very close to that of a legitimate organization, The American Council on Education. I think this title was deliberately chosen to confuse people, and that the AEC is probably a paper-thingy - no more than a set of incorporation papers in a drawer somewhere in Delaware.

I checked Whois. The site is registered in India - and despite whatever MOU (memorandum of understanding) it claims with IGNOU in India , this school, AECU, is not UGC recognized, so its degrees would not have standing in India, either.

The whole thing looks to me like a set-up, to attract money from people who don't have very much of it to spare - people in low-income countries who would love a chance to get an American degree. Avoid disappointment. Save your money for a real school.
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:09 pm

johann wrote:I think the school may very well have legal permission to operate - in Guinea-Bissau - and issue lawful-but-meaningless degrees, of no academic value whatsoever.

Perhaps, but I didn't see anything that makes me think this would be any less misleading than everything else they say. If anyone speaks French and would like to find out definitively, the phone numbers for the Ministry of Education in Guinea-Bissau are +245 21 24 39 and +245 20 14 00.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby John Bear » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:04 pm

They are advertising currently in at least two publications in Dubai, and in ExpatAds.com, where their ad reads:

Bba/mba Degree from American East Coast University (UAE)
get ugc recognized degrees from indian/us/eu/uk universities in distance learning mode in dubai! degrees fully attested by embassy/hrd/foreign affairs.
(bba/mba/bsc/msc/b tech/m tech/phd). credit given for work experience and prior learning. call mr. charles 0558825198

The "UAE" suggests a presence, or at least a contact, in the Emirates.

(The following ad offers a guaranteed 40% return on investment. Oceanfront lots in Arizona presumably to follow.)
Author/co-author
Bears Guide to Earning Degrees by Distance Learning (first 15 editions)
Degree Mills: The Billion $ Industry That Has Sold ... a Million Fake Diplomas.
Send This Jerk the Bedbug Letter
John Bear

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:16 pm

John Bear wrote:Oceanfront lots in Arizona presumably to follow.

Well, if you buy in Yuma, and wait long enough....
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:05 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
johann wrote:I think the school may very well have legal permission to operate - in Guinea-Bissau - and issue lawful-but-meaningless degrees, of no academic value whatsoever.

Perhaps, but I didn't see anything that makes me think this would be any less misleading than everything else they say.

Either of us could be right, Steve, but I don't think it really matters. I'd figure it's like Liberian accreditation of old - permission could be bought from a thug representing the government-of-the-week for under $100 US. Or maybe, as you suggest, one needn't bother. The sad plight of education - and the corrupt state of affairs in general - in Guinea-Bissau is outlined here:

http://www.irinnews.org/fr/report/98129 ... -education

Although my French is at least tolerable, I'm not interested in investing even the price of one phone call on this mill, AECU. We both know what it is, with or without a piece of paper of dubious origin. Thanks for the number anyway.

Johann
johann

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Calling that thing a diploma mill would be beating a cheval mort, non?
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:Calling that thing a diploma mill would be beating a cheval mort, non?

Bien sûr, et quant à moi, j'ai d'autres chats à fouetter. Yep - and as for me, I have other fish to fry. Lit. "other cats to flog!" :shock:

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
John Bear wrote:Oceanfront lots in Arizona presumably to follow.

Well, if you buy in Yuma, and wait long enough....

I understand that's why the late billionaire, Howard Hughes, bought so much property in Nevada. He was waiting for the "big one" in California, so he'd have shoreline property. :(

Johann
johann

Return to Unaccredited Programs