Institute of Lutheran Theology

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Institute of Lutheran Theology

Postby mattchand » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:45 pm

The following as-yet-unaccredited institution was brought to my attention by a friend. The Institute of Lutheran Theology offers MDiv and other master's programs, certificates, and "open learning" for those not wanting to pursue a degree. They say that they are pursuing accreditation, and apparently have faculty with genuine degrees. The utility of their degrees is quite limited for those in the LCMS or ELCA, though they are straightforward about that.

I have my own reservations about Luther generally (virulent anti-semite that he was), though there are streams of Pietism that I find fascinating. My own prejudices aside, however, this seemed like a program with enough potential to make bringing it to attention here worthwhile.

Peace,

Matt
mattchand

Re: Institute of Lutheran Theology

Postby Oregon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:41 pm

mattchand wrote:
I have my own reservations about Luther generally (virulent anti-semite that he was),
Matt

Ever hear of the organization called the Roman Catholic Church which was operating this thing called the inquisition at the same time? Luther was a pussy cat.
Oregon

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Pussy cat? Um...well...at first...but when Jews didn't accept his invite to convert (either) Luther became as virulent as most any Nazi up to and including concentration camps. Luther was no friend to the Jews.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby mattchand » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:41 am

nosborne48 wrote:Pussy cat? Um...well...at first...but when Jews didn't accept his invite to convert (either) Luther became as virulent as most any Nazi up to and including concentration camps. Luther was no friend to the Jews.

No, he certainly was not. Luther's antisemitic tracts are some of the most poisonous documents I have ever read -- I felt physically nauseated afterward. Indeed, William Shirer's monumental The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich includes a chapter on the influence of these writings on the developments in Nazi ideology, although Shirer also adds that the Nazi movement itself had an eventual goal of the eradication of Christian faith by ancient Pagan faith.

That having been said, I think it's only fair to add that modern Lutheran denominations have publicly disavowed these particular writings of Luther and antisemitism generally.
mattchand

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:10 am

Oh, uncle janko would have just the right thing to say. (Though with the intervening years of peripatetic language learning it would probably be in Classical Chinese or something and we'd have no idea what he'd said. But we'd be glad he'd said it.)
Jonathan Whatley

Postby mattchand » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Jonathan Whatley wrote:Oh, uncle janko would have just the right thing to say. (Though with the intervening years of peripatetic language learning it would probably be in Classical Chinese or something and we'd have no idea what he'd said. But we'd be glad he'd said it.)

Thought about that. *sniff*...

Interesting quote tangentially related to this, from the late Samuel Sandmel of HUC: "In my view, persecution, even by Christians, was not Christian persecution; it was un-Christian, the product of an age that had not learned that persecution can never be squared with religion."
mattchand

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:23 pm

That "Age" would be "now".

Whenever I get really depressed about the state of the Great American Experiment, I just think about how much progress, INCREDIBLE progress, we've made just in my lifetime. And despite our bitter differences, the vast majority of Americans, Right and Left, seem to agree that discrimination on the basis of religion or ethnicity is just unacceptable, legally and socially. This was not the case when I was small. There is hope for us.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Oregon » Fri May 04, 2012 1:24 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Pussy cat? Um...well...at first...but when Jews didn't accept his invite to convert (either) Luther became as virulent as most any Nazi up to and including concentration camps. Luther was no friend to the Jews.

So you think the Inquisition wasn't as bad? Odd.
Oregon

Postby Jimmy » Sat May 05, 2012 12:22 am

mattchand wrote:...I have my own reservations about Luther generally (virulent anti-semite that he was)...Matt

Calvin was not much better.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Oregon » Sat May 05, 2012 12:48 am

Jimmy wrote:
Calvin was not much better.

Calvin ran his own Inquisition.
Oregon

Postby Russ Veldman » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:16 am

The Institute of Lutheran Theology is now accredited by ABHE.

Has anyone had any experience with this school? They have several established, well-published scholars, such as Beilfeldt, Kilcrease, Lioy, and others.
Russ Veldman
M.Div., Asbury Theological Seminary
Russ Veldman

Return to Unaccredited Programs