Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Re: Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica

Postby Gus Sainz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Mr. Strazzeri, I don't know if you are just naive and being duped, or whether you are a willing accomplice.

On the one hand, you seem sincere and are just passing along information that William Zamora is feeding you. On the other hand, you have had extensive experience with, and have avidly promoted, a questionable school before (Century University). You also intentionally omit facts, misquote laws, and translate things erroneously to suit your purposes.

So, if you would be so kind, please answer the following questions.

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:Dr. William Zamora send me a copy to explain me about the business.

Dr.William Zamora? He is still the owner, correct? My understanding is that an American still owns Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica. Is Dr. Zamora in Phoeniz, Arizona?

Also, why would he send you a document to explain the business? I know he is a member of this forum. Is he reading this thread and then just sending you stuff, or are you requesting corroboration from him? If he is reading this thread, why doesn’t he answer our questions and concerns himself?

If you are requesting material from him, why are you doing that? Do you now have personal doubts about the validity of your degree, or are you just requesting “ammunition” in order to help him defend and promote his institution?

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:I ask him about UNEM accreditation and he told me about it.

UNEM doesn’t have accreditation. It is not a member of SINAES, and, consequently, it does not appear on its list of accredited universities. UNEM has legal authority to grant just three degrees—a B.A. in Business, a B.A. in Accounting, and a M.B.A..

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote: For international degrees Conesup do not sign it.

We all know this. CONESUP does not have the authority to regulate higher education outside of Costa Rica. It does, however, have the authority to regulate what degrees a private Costa Rican university can legally issue.

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:But private universities are authorized to do business outside Costa Rica only, to grant Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates, and that is legal.

AUTHORIZED? By whom?

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:According to my knowledge they are fine, I have been working hard for many years to get it.

Fine. Forget the law, for now, and help us understand UNEM. Tell us about your personal experience. You studied at UNEM for three years. Did you receive a Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate in that time frame?
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby Hungry Ghost » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 am

Here's something else that's kind of interesting.

It's from a 2010 University of Pennsylvania doctoral dissertation by Silvia P. Castro entitled 'Costa Rican Higher Education, Its Universities and Students'

On pp. 46-7, she writes:

Moreover, three private universities and one public university will not appear [in her study]...

...The Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica (UNEM) was founded in 1997 as a special-focus institution in business, and reported no graduates in 2007. These institutions have not been included in the study as neither enrolled new students in 2010; thus, these institutions have been classified as inactive.

http://www.ulacit.ac.cr/doc/Silvia_Cast ... tation.pdf

This suggests that the Costa Rican B&M school with the three approved business programs is most likely defunct. If that's true, then about all that remains of UNEM appears to be the unapproved overseas DL degree programs and the "validation" of European-American University.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Gus Sainz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:49 am

If Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica has been inactive since at least 2007, how does one explain the promotional video uploaded by “unem2009”to YouTube on November 28, 2008 entitled Empresarial University in Costa Rica UNEM in English?

The video is described as “Empresarial University in Costa Rica UNEM Promotional Video,” and there’s a Spanish version as well.

From the video:
“We offer programs leading to Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorates in Administrative Sciences, Education and Humanities, Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, Biological Sciences, and General Science.”

:roll:
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby Gus Sainz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:29 am

Remember Global Academy Online (a.k.a. DiUlus Institute and University) run by Fred DiUlus (see Unwanted Export?)?

Here’s how it bills itself:
“Global Academy Online, Inc., (the Academy), is an international online education university builder. The Academy is a premier provider of private label online education curriculum and instructionto colleges, universities, eLearning, and distance online education institutions on four continents.”

At one time, the eminently questionable WIDU (World Information Distributed University ), whose U.S Vice President is the commiserable Robert Ray Hill, established an "agreement concerning of [sic] accreditation and recognition" with the DiUlus Institute.

Guess who else has partnered with this entity refereed to by some as a diploma mill?
According to THIS 2008 press release, “Empresarial Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica has partnered with Global Academy Online, Inc. (the Academy) of Washington DC, USA to offer an online international MBA in both English and Spanish.”

Once again, we see the same misleading statements:
“With students and former students from 20 nations, Universidad Empresarial is accredited by the National Council of Higher Education for Private Universities (CONESUP) of the Costa Rican Ministry of Education. The university is authorized to grant Bachelors, Graduate (Licensure), Masters, Professional Specializations and Doctoral Degrees.” [empahsis added}

Interestingly, on Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica’s own Web site, the same press release in Spanish reads a bit differently:
“Con estudiantes y ex-estudiantes de 20 naciones, la Universidad Empresarial recibió la aprobación del Consejo Nacional de Educación Superior Privada (CONESUP) del Ministerio de Educación costarricense. La Universidad está autorizada para conceder los grados de bachillerato y maestría, y muy pronto licenciaturas y grados doctorales.”

TRANSLATION (differences from the English version in red)
“With students and former students from 20 nations, Universidad Empresarial has received approval from the National Council of Higher Education for Private Universities (CONESUP) of the Costa Rican Ministry of Education. The university is authorized to grant Bachelors, Masters and very soon Graduate (Licensure), and Doctoral Degrees.”

Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby Hungry Ghost » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Gus Sainz wrote:Remember Global Academy Online (a.k.a. DiUlus Institute and University) run by Fred DiUlus (see Unwanted Export?)? ...

At one time, the eminently questionable WIDU (World Information Distributed University ), whose U.S Vice President is the commiserable Robert Ray Hill, established an "agreement concerning of [sic] accreditation and recognition" with the DiUlus Institute.

Universidad Empresarial "validates" European-American University.

http://www.thedegree.org/accreditation.html

A noted ecclesiastical figure:

The Most Revd. John Kersey, OCR, DD (Tau Eleutherius, Ep.Gn.)

http://innerchurch.wordpress.com/

is E-A-U's President and Director of Academic Affairs:

http://www.thedegree.org/administration.html

Kersey in turn is an associate of Sheila Danzig's, the famed credential evaluator and former proprietor of MIGS. MIGS in turn bore an uncanny resemblance to UNEM.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116&p=942

It's a small world, Gus.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Jack » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Gus Sainz wrote:
jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:I do no have the information that you asked me.

The name of the university with international agreement is on the back of the diploma.

Since the information is on the back of the diploma, why don’t you look on the back of your diplomas and tell us what it says? What does it say on the back of your Ed.D.?

I've just read through this entire thread and I'd like to thank Gus, HG and Lukeness for their research on this topic. The only small contribution that I might make is express my disbelief that Mr. Strazzeri does not know/remember the name of the institution that is allegedly printed on the back of his diploma. I can only think that you must have been well aware of which school was responsible for your degree (after all, if not for this school there would be no degree, correct?) You must have know the name of this school from the very beginning and now you can't remember it? It's beyond belief. I'm thinking that either there is no name printed on the back or it's a name like Knightsbridge (in which case you might be better off with no name printed on the back).
Jack

Postby Roberto Hernandez » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:50 am

I made the post in March 2009 that began this thread, and it's interesting to read all of the replies.

This thread largely repeats information thoroughly discussed before and in several places.

But the most telling new information comes from the 2010 dissertation of Silvia P. Castro (Costa Rican Higher Education: Its Universities and Students) of the University of Pennsylvania, in which she said that Empresarial University reported no graduates from 2007 through 2010 to the Costa Rican government.

While Empresarial University continues to appear on a Costa Rican government website with unambiguous authority to grant only three degrees as mentioned often in this thread, it appears that the university has not been graduating any Costa Rican students for at least three years.

An Internet search also finds no non-Costa Rican recently claiming any legitimate or questionable degree from Empresarial.

The Empresarial University website has not been updated in years.

The university promotional video uploaded to YouTube in November 2008 by unem2009 was actually filmed around five years before.

The only recent news (March 2010) is that Empresarial seeks students from the unaccredited, discredited European-American University for a dual diploma upon payment of a validation fee. Empresarial reviews and validates all degree programs of the European-American University -- interesting when all but three of Empresarial's degree programs have not been reviewed and validated by any reputable agency.

The only action that Empresarial can take now to start regaining its reputation of past years, when it had Costa Rican students and its doctorates were evaluated as U.S. regionally accredited equivalents, is to join the National Higher Education Accreditation System (SINAES) created by law to evaluate Costa Rican university degree programs of public and private institutions.

Absent that news, I would conclude based on Dr. Castro's report of no graduates for three years and other inactivity that the "real" Empresarial University has closed. Only an illegitimate university remains.
Roberto Hernandez

Postby jorge_maduro » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Private Universities in Costa Rica are autonomous, which means that once that the National Council of Higher Education (CONESUP) approve their operations, the institutions regulate themselves.
http://www.sinaes.ac.cr/riacesen/index. ... Itemid=176

Empresarial University of Costa Rica, received positive reports from NACES

NACES is one of the US National bodies.
http://www.unem.edu.pl/naceseng.html

Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica (also known as Entrepreneurial University of Costa Rica & Empresarial University in Costa Rica)

Acronym UNEM

It's a private university located in the suburb of Zapote, in Montealegre, in the state of San Jose de Costa Rica. The begins of it academic life, was through the Business School of San Jose.

Unmet educational demand, by the 5 public universities, made possible the proliferation of 52 private universities, making a total of 57 universities that currently operate in Costa Rica.

The educational body to control and regulate the operation of private universities is CONESUP (National Council of Higher Education). http://www.sinaes.ac.cr/riacesen/index. ... Itemid=168

In the case of the Entrepreneurial University, its operation is approved in the assignment No. 336-97 of November 5, 1997 ( http://www.mep.go.cr/CentroDeInformacio ... 102452.pdf ).

Empresarial University in Costa Rica it's also been listed by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO); International Association of Universities (IAU) and the International Handbook of Universities http://www.unesco.org/iau/onlinedatabas ... /c-nw.html Under Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica

Costa Rica, has the peculiarity, that his army was abolished in 1948 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Costa_Rica ), which induces the Costa Rican people to channel their efforts towards technological progress, driven by education.

The world was no stranger to this effort, which back in 1987, the President's Office, Dr. Sanchez, is winner of the Nobel Prize in Peace ( http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/ ... s-bio.html ).

Public education system was established in 1917. At the time of study abroad, Costa Rica is an option to consider, as are Spanish and English, both official languages ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Rica#Languages ).

The low cost of living, the invaluable ecosystem, beaches and people, explain why more people choose to do their undergraduate and / or graduate there. With distance education, the benefit of higher education in Costa Rica, is not limited to natives of the region, or who, have the resources to travel and study there, but also opens its doors to thousands of people around the globe, that through e-learning now also access their education through virtual classrooms in distance mode.

Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica, has academic agreements, several universities worldwide, offering academic cooperation, sharing new developments and trends in order to raise the long-awaited forum at both student and faculty. Creidts granted by Empresarial University of Costa Rica are recogniced by NACES (US National bodies) http://www.unem.edu.pl/naceseng.html

The website of the Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica is http://www.unem.edu.pl/indexeng.html
jorge_maduro

Postby g-gollin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:05 am

Amusing that you know enough about shills for mills that you also posted this at DLYoodleNoodle.
g-gollin

Postby Gus Sainz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:28 am

jorge_maduro wrote:The website of the Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica is http://www.unem.edu.pl/indexeng.html

So the Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica is now in Poland?

Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:45 pm

This UNEM marketing post simply ignores all of the information that everyone was discussing earlier in the thread. That's a little peculiar, since I get the impression that we were communicating (whether directly or indirectly) with UNEM's owner (or at least with the proprietor of the off-shore DL programs).

jorge_maduro wrote:Private Universities in Costa Rica are autonomous, which means that once that the National Council of Higher Education (CONESUP) approve their operations, the institutions regulate themselves.

Has CONESUP actually approved all of the offshore distance learning programs being offered on the internet bearing the 'UNEM' name? Does CONESUP really approve of UNEM's "validating" European-American University's programs?

Or is the idea that since these programs are being offered off-shore and not from within Costa Rica itself, that no CONESUP approvals are necessary?

If the latter is the case, then isn't it kind of disingenuous to place so much marketing emphasis on CONESUP approvals that aren't even relevant to the DL programs?

It's a private university located in the suburb of Zapote, in Montealegre, in the state of San Jose de Costa Rica. The begins of it academic life, was through the Business School of San Jose.

Reportedly, the Costa Rican bricks-and-mortar campus had no students in 2010 and was termed 'inactive'. Is that information accurate? Do UNEM's Costa Rican on-campus programs and operations still exist? Or has the school converted into a totally distance-learning format? If that's the case, then where are UNEM's DL activities originating? Appearances would suggest the United States.

The educational body to control and regulate the operation of private universities is CONESUP (National Council of Higher Education). http://www.sinaes.ac.cr/riacesen/index. ... Itemid=168

It's interesting that you linked to the Costa Rican accrediting body SINAES to tell us about CONESUP. But what about SINAES itself? UNEM has not been accredited by SINAES, has it? Which implies that UNEM doesn't really possess what Americans, and Costa Ricans as well since they created SINAES, think of as 'accreditation'.

Empresarial University in Costa Rica it's also been listed by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO); International Association of Universities (IAU) and the International Handbook of Universities

And that's UNEM's special selling-point, isn't it? This tiny Costa Rican school got its name into an international reference book based on its three local CONESUP-approved Costa Rican programs. Then the school experienced difficulties and may no longer even be offering those programs. But somebody, somewhere, who might not even reside inside Costa Rica, continues to busily operate an off-shore distance learning operation that's offering many additional offerings, up to and including doctoral programs, all bearing the Costa Rican school's name.
Hungry Ghost

Postby jorge_maduro » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:53 am

Well my friend
I hope I do not take you sleep away :D
CONESUP 2011 listing http://www.mep.go.cr/CentroDeInformacio ... 101655.pdf
UNESCO IAU 2011 listing http://www.unesco.org/iau/onlinedatabas ... /c-nw.html
And last but not least, you forgot to mention UNEM's NACES recognition

I wonder why, with all the information available in the web, you insist on blacklisting UNEM
If you prove me wrong...
Why UNESCO, CONESUP and even SINAES still list UNEM ???
jorge_maduro

Postby Jack » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:15 am

jorge_maduro wrote:Well my friend I hope I do not take you sleep away

It seems more likely that we are taking your sleep away.
Jack

Postby Gus Sainz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:59 am

jorge_maduro wrote:Why UNESCO, CONESUP and even SINAES still list UNEM ???

Could it be that they are only referring to the Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica that was authorized (at one time) to offer Bachelors (and ONLY Bachelors) degrees IN Costa Rica, but that overstepped their authority and illegitimately offered Masters and Doctorate degrees to gullible foreigners (or willing co-conspirators)?

Since the Costa Rican UNEM went out of business some years ago, I'm pretty sure these approvals do NOT apply to the new business venture seemingly operating out of Poland.

Is this the start of a new trend? Unscrupulous operators simply take over the name of a defunct degree mill that falsely claimed some degree of legitimacy and run the business from another country (or jurisdiction)? After all, who is going to go after them?

What’s next? Knightsbridge University run from Liberia? Columbia State run from Denmark?

Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:54 am

The same thing happened with West Coast University.

Legitimate RA accredited went out of business in late 90's in CA and suddenly number of WCU's appeared, some with same info that used to be on the closed WCU catalog. Today we have WCU in CA that under new ownership in early 2000's purchased the old WCU records and earned DETC accreditation and we have number of WCU's out there that are less then wonderful.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

PreviousNext

Return to Unaccredited Programs