"'Tis the season..for DETC speculation.

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

"'Tis the season..for DETC speculation.

Postby johann » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:09 am

Next meeting is Jan 16-17, so we're a little early, I guess. Will any of these applicants make it this time around?

•EC-Council University, Albuquerque, NM
•O'Reilly School of Technology, Sebastopol, CA
•Orlando University, Orlando, FL
•University of the People, Pasadena, CA

The O'Reilly School has had some seriously good press and, IIRC, collaboration with at least one very good RA school. A couple of years ago, some O'Reilly-based certs were being offered through U. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. I'd like to see the O'reilly school accredited.

Johann

"Well, they won't have Nations U. to kick around any more." R.I.P Accreditation Attempt(s) - 2007-2013! :(
johann

Re: "'Tis the season..for DETC speculation.

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm most interested to see what happens with University of the People.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby John Bear » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:52 am

EC-Council University (another school that won't make the list of 10,000 best school names) is, I gather, primarily known for granting the Certified Ethical Hacker credential. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_Ethical_Hacker)

Here at the Oxymoron Institute, we like that designation.
John Bear

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:16 pm

One would think, but it's called that because among IT people "hacker" doesn't mean what it means in the news and on 24.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Well, to some it does, to some it doesn't. It's not unusual to hear of "black hat" hackers - the bad guys - and "white-hat hackers" - the type of people that EC-council purports to train for penetration testing, strategies to foil the bad guys, etc. After all, they (the Certified Ethical Whatevers) have to know what the bad guys do, just as police and security personnel have to know in detail the latest exploits of lawbreakers.

A couple of years ago, some DD members really took exception to the "Certified Ethical Hacker" label, when I first mentioned it. "Hacker" was just too bad a word in their lexicon -- they preferred "penetration testers" etc. I really don't know what all the fuss was about. :?: From the EC Council ads etc. I think they're targeting a pretty young group for their course and the word "hacker" helps in that. IIRC in the early days, they offered the course on a pre-loaded IPod and the ad showed a guy who was likely still in his teens, intently watching a CEH lecture on his IPod.

I'm not impressed with EC Council. Not only has the CEH program had some none-too-good press and reviews in the various fora, the CEH course book and videos are all over the darker corners of the internet (as one would expect) and very easy to obtain, even for a casual surfer. My take: they look like they've got a lot of work to do prior to accreditation.

I've often thought a Certified Ethical Hacker should have to "break into" the Exam Centre site to write the exam. If he does OK, the screen should read "OK, You passed. Now log on through the back door and steal your diploma." :)

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:40 am

SteveFoerster wrote:One would think, but it's called that because among IT people "hacker" doesn't mean what it means in the news and on 24.

To some in the IT universe, I'm sure it still retains the original meaning - back when "hacking" usually meant experimenting and devising new solutions and methods with computers. An "elegant hack" was a piece of code that did something in a concise and brilliant manner - like maybe display a bitmap in less than 147 lines, back in those days... :)

There's a kids' version of the programming language Ruby, called "Hackety Hack." Children seem to like it at least partly for its name. I know my grandson (10) does! :)

Johann
johann

Postby PatsFan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:57 pm

johann wrote: "Well, they won't have Nations U. to kick around any more." R.I.P Accreditation Attempt(s) - 2007-2013! :(

I hadn't heard. What happened to Nations University? I thought they were making some solid changes.
Tom
BA, Nyack College
MAR, Eastern Nazarene College
MSW, University of Connecticut
D.Min, Ashland Theological Seminary
PatsFan

Postby PatsFan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:06 pm

PatsFan wrote:
johann wrote: "Well, they won't have Nations U. to kick around any more." R.I.P Accreditation Attempt(s) - 2007-2013! :(

I hadn't heard. What happened to Nations University? I thought they were making some solid changes.
Tom

Never mind, I found the July thread that discussed this.
BA, Nyack College
MAR, Eastern Nazarene College
MSW, University of Connecticut
D.Min, Ashland Theological Seminary
PatsFan

Postby johann » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:37 pm

johann wrote:A couple of years ago, some DD members really took exception to the "Certified Ethical Hacker" label, when I first mentioned it. "Hacker" was just too bad a word in their lexicon -- they preferred "penetration testers" etc. I really don't know what all the fuss was about. :?:

I guess the fuss wasn't confined to DD members. From the CEH Wiki:

"Certain computer security professionals have objected to the term ethical hacker: "There's no such thing as an 'ethical hacker' - that's like saying 'ethical rapist' - it's a contradiction in terms."[5] Part of the controversy may arise from the older, less stigmatized, definition of hacker, which has since become synonymous with computer criminal.

On the other hand, some companies do not seem to mind the association. According to EC-Council, there has been an increase of careers where C|EH and other ethical hacking certifications are preferred or required.[6][7][8][9] Even the US government accepts this association and requires C|EH accreditation for some jobs per DoD 8570.01-M guidelines"

Put me down as someone who does not object (and never has) to the Certified Ethical Hacker designation.

EC-Council also teaches the Government-accepted (and required, for certain jobs) Certified Network Defense Architect program. That kicks its accreditation potential up several notches, I'd say. Forget what I said. Everyone else already has. :) How could the U.S. Government be wrong? :)

If the Feds like the school - and they do, then it's sure to get accreditation -any type it wants!

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:39 am

Jan. 28. No new accreditation announcements on the DETC site. Checked all four applicants' sites - none flying DETC colors yet.
...Yawn. Back to Hibernation. It's -20 C (-4 F) and lots of Früzenshite again, here. I can wait...

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:51 am

Still no announcement - but something interesting. Orlando University is no longer on the list. Since they recently revamped the site, DETC lists "Institutions To Be Considered" for accreditation at its next meeting. This includes applicants for re-accreditation, in the same list as new applicants.

Not really surprising; a school Like Orlando U.,that is largely (or completely) devoted to doctoral studies, may not be an ideal fit with DETC. Nothing against Orlando U. or DETC in that remark. I may be a little crabby from battling the cold and the Früzenshite, but I'm still reasonable so far...I think. :)

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:56 am

One new school approved - University of the People.

I'm pleased - I guess Steve might be, too. :)

Johnan
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:09 pm

johann wrote:One new school approved - University of the People. I'm pleased - I guess Steve might be, too. :)

Of course! I think they're a good effort and I wish them well.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:03 am

In other DETC actions:

(1) I note that some DETC schools are letting their accreditation expire. One that caught my eye was California Miramar University. Its accreditation expires at the end of April. IIRC, the school that became California Miramar U. was once known as Pacific Western U before it was sold, re-branded and subsequently accredited by DETC.

(2) This was a real surprise. It was a jolt to see that both Cleveland Institute of Electronics and World College are under Show Cause. I don't know the story behind that.

Johann
johann

Postby Rich Douglas » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:17 am

johann wrote:In other DETC actions:

(1) I note that some DETC schools are letting their accreditation expire. One that caught my eye was California Miramar University. Its accreditation expires at the end of April. IIRC, the school that became California Miramar U. was once known as Pacific Western U before it was sold, re-branded and subsequently accredited by DETC.

(2) This was a real surprise. It was a jolt to see that both Cleveland Institute of Electronics and World College are under Show Cause. I don't know the story behind that.

Johann

CMU is also accredited by ACICS. I don't know if it is retaining that one.
Rich Douglas

Next

Return to Distance Learning