Some serious Help from the Learned please

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Re: Some serious Help from the Learned please

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:08 pm

Accreditation also carries with it certain tax deductions not available for expenses connected with study at an unaccredited school.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby RayLeonard721 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:58 pm

gravamen wrote:
I would not be so quick to dismiss Northwestern California simply because it is not DETC accredited. From the perspective of the distance law school student, DETC only buys one access to Federal student loan programs (absent some employer requirement for reimbursement).
I understand that accreditation almost always is strongly preferred; it's just not clear to me why it matters in this case. Moreover---and certainly not to shill for a school I've never attended---Northwestern California's program is long-established, California-Bar qualifying, inexpensive, and has reasonable FYLSE and General Bar pass rates. For what it's worth, my advice would be to seek to strike a "balance" between cost and success on the FYLSE and General Bar Exam when selecting among Bar-qualifying distance law schools.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

I have not dismissed them in whole as of yet. I think the reason why I'm more reluctant right now is that I feel that the A.B.A. will be coming around on it's stance of non-traditional law schools ( Most likely due to pressure from the courts then anything) and that they will allow it but will require the school to be accredited by an accrediting body in some form or another.

As to what you said about the Telecommute and Distance Education part, I thank you much for the insight.

As to all that have commented, I have heard what you said but most importantly, I have understood what you have all said!

Is all that is said, This Nations Educational System ( or lack thereof ) is in some serious trouble. In my small and tiny quest I have learned that a very Prestigious school has offered distance learning for some, I believe, 200 plus years, including law degree's to allow students to practice law. I'm talking about University of London.

I do strongly believe that if distance learning law schools were more available and as cheap as they are now, that if we got more inner city kids involved in them, we would have a much better and stronger chance of rebuilding this nation into a better nation. <---Personal thought
RayLeonard721

Postby johann » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:08 pm

RayLeonard721 wrote:...I have learned that a very Prestigious school has offered distance learning for some, I believe, 200 plus years, including law degree's to allow students to practice law. I'm talking about University of London.

That's true - but completion of the LLB alone won't admit you to practice - anywhere. They other UK requirements are far from trifling. if you want to practice here where I live (Canada) with a UoL LL.B., you've got a long road ahead, starting with (I believe) eight mandatory courses on campus at a Canadian law school. That alone will probably cost nearly what the LL.B costs - and you're far from done. It's no cakewalk for a foreign-trained lawyer, who wants to practice in the US, either.

RayLeonard721 wrote:...I do strongly believe that if distance learning law schools were more available and as cheap as they are now, that if we got more inner city kids involved in them, we would have a much better and stronger chance of rebuilding this nation into a better nation. <---Personal thought

Sure. That's what we need -- lots more lawyers! :) Seriously, if we got more inner-city kids involved in carpentry, bricklaying, welding - anything except gangs, car-jacking, drugs and burglary - we'd do fine. Law study certainly isn't for everyone, inner-city or not. People need skills that pay the bills - and there are enough unemployed or underemployed newly-fledged lawyers right now. Let the bulk of inner-city kids learn things they might have a knack for and that will make them a good living.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:51 pm

By the way, that's what's being done very successfully in the city where I live. (Hamilton ON). We have a building school that does a great job, right in the 'hood/barrio or whatever you want to call it. It teaches basic construction techniques to people who need jobs at low-or-no cost, depending -- and they get them!

50 miles away, Toronto has a rather similar scheme. I remember an account of one young woman, about 21, who took their plumbing course. When she finished, she entered an apprenticeship and after not very long at all, she was already earning over $25 / hr. - and liking the work.

Haven't seen any nearly-free law schools around here yet, though. :)

Johann
johann

Postby RayLeonard721 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:48 pm

johann wrote:Sure. That's what we need -- lots more lawyers! :) Seriously, if we got more inner-city kids involved in carpentry, bricklaying, welding - anything except gangs, car-jacking, drugs and burglary - we'd do fine. Law study certainly isn't for everyone, inner-city or not. People need skills that pay the bills - and there are enough unemployed or underemployed newly-fledged lawyers right now. Let the bulk of inner-city kids learn things they might have a knack for and that will make them a good living.

Johann

LOL :lol: I remember watching a show on Showtime or something like that called Route 66, Where one of the cities he visited everyone was a lawyer. Was funny stuff. I'm not saying that everyone should become a lawyer but to study the law, learn how to think about the law more of like and Associates Degree program. just get the basics. But just enough to change the mentality of some of these kids that there is something more then there "street lives"
RayLeonard721

Postby johann » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 pm

RayLeonard721 wrote:and Associates Degree program. just get the basics. But just enough to change the mentality of some of these kids that there is something more then there "street lives"

LOL? Glad you're getting a chuckle - no problems, but I really wasn't trying to be funny.

I completely fail to see how a law course of short or long duration is particularly suitable to "change the mentality" of at-risk youth. In fact, I see it as no more/less suitable for that purpose than than a beginner's course in theology! I don't imagine many of the young people we're talking about are that motivated by, or interested in legal studies. Many have significant barriers to academic success.

I think many more would be motivated by, and interested in cars than law. Perhaps a basic auto course would result in more job opportunities. Once they have an income, people can decide for themselves what their academic aspirations are - if they choose to have them.

Johann
johann

Previous

Return to Distance Learning