M.A or M.Sc

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

M.A or M.Sc

Postby amrut » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:54 pm

I want to pursue masters degree in Psychology in distance.
I found few institutes offering M.A Psychology and few other M.Sc Psychology.
What is the difference?
Which one is preferable?
Plz help.
Thank u
amrut

Re: M.A or M.Sc

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:30 pm

There's no standard difference from which you could generalize to any program in psychology. If you compared all the MAs in every subject, psychology or not, with all the MScs in every subject, psychology or not, you'd find some global differences between the population of MAs and the population of MScs on the whole. Almost all history programs will be under MA, most biology programs under MSc.

This doesn't help you at all in comparing psychology programs. There can be major differences between graduate programs in psychology, but that level of the degree title is not going to be very predictive of the differences between any two.

What are you interested in doing with a master's in psychology? What's your prior background? What other differences can you see between programs you're looking at, particularly in terms of courses involved?

Also, you should know that many graduate programs in psychology that use distance learning are what we call "hybrid," "blended," "short residency" or "low residency," they involve some in-person requirements. These may include requirements at the school's location, and/or in a supervised practicum or internship, which you might be able to arrange closer to you.
Jonathan Whatley

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:30 pm

I don't think there's a significant difference. If I were you, I would choose based on other differences.

Good luck,

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby briantuck » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 am

Now a days Its Best For The People Who Complete Their Studies Through Distance Mode But Someone fail To Find The Best Distance education centre . I also Had Complete My Studies Through Distance education And I feel Great That My all Problems had Been Perfectly Solve By Softkey Distance Education centre Which is In Mumbai And Other parts Of India. Its Almost 18 years Old Distance Education Centre In Mumbai
briantuck

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 pm

briantuck wrote:Now a days Its Best For The People Who Complete Their Studies Through Distance Mode But Someone fail To Find The Best Distance education centre . I also Had Complete My Studies Through Distance education And I feel Great That My all Problems had Been Perfectly Solve By Softkey Distance Education centre Which is In Mumbai And Other parts Of India. Its Almost 18 years Old Distance Education Centre In Mumbai

Does your centre offer advaned degrees in Psychology?
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Surprise, Surprise, Steve!

Postby johann » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Steve Foerster wrote:Does your centre offer advanced degrees in psychology?

"Surprise, Surprise, Gol-lee," as Jim Nabors (Gomer Pyle) used to say, Steve! They actually DO! An M.Sc. in Psychology - here:

http://www.softkeyindia.com/master-science.htm

Dunno why I even looked, but...it's there. No comment on the school. Haven't had time to check UGC, AICTE, DEC etc.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Thu May 30, 2013 11:50 pm

Why, oh why did I bother? This place is an "autonomous institute" - appears to have no degree-granting authority of its own. From its page:

"So, at this stage it won’t be an exaggeration to say that we are one of best institutes in specializing in providing guidance and coaching for the different courses conducted by reputed universities."

Even without the locally-flavoured phraseology, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot Indian "snake-management stick," as shown here:
http://www.indiamart.com/florabiotech/s ... ement.html

Johann
johann

Postby msganti » Fri May 31, 2013 6:05 am

Guys...take my word, and stay away - especially if you are not located in India.
This is just a study center authorized by some universities to market...err..facilitate their programs. The Universities themselves are good - UGC/AICTE approved. But these study centers are mushrooming like any thing these days.
Also, as per the DEC (Distance Education Council) norms in India, no university can have a study center outside their jurisdiction (usually the State where the University is located). But these study centers are starting websites and trying to sell the courses to anybody from anywhere (within India), which is not legal. And they are definitely not authorized to admit foreign students.

Bottom line....if you are not from India and are not used to deal with Indian Universities, pls stay away from these Study Centers.
msganti

Postby SteveFoerster » Fri May 31, 2013 4:04 pm

msganti wrote:Guys...take my word, and stay away - especially if you are not located in India.
This is just a study center authorized by some universities to market...err..facilitate their programs. The Universities themselves are good - UGC/AICTE approved. But these study centers are mushrooming like any thing these days.

Do they just do marketing and recruitment? Or do they offer any actual student services like access to computers for those taking online subjects, tutoring sessions, etc.?

Also, as per the DEC (Distance Education Council) norms in India, no university can have a study center outside their jurisdiction (usually the State where the University is located). But these study centers are starting websites and trying to sell the courses to anybody from anywhere (within India), which is not legal. And they are definitely not authorized to admit foreign students. Bottom line....if you are not from India and are not used to deal with Indian Universities, pls stay away from these Study Centers.

Well, the study centre isn't admitting anyone, the university is, right? And it seems unlikely that the universities don't realise that these students are outside their area. I ask because this reminds me of when Indian universities were not supposed to offer doctoral programmes by distance, and IGNOU basically just disregarded that rule.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby msganti » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:16 am

SteveFoerster wrote:Do they just do marketing and recruitment? Or do they offer any actual student services like access to computers for those taking online subjects, tutoring sessions, etc.?

They are supposed to offer these services, but most of them either don't, or offer a very poor service.
Well, the study centre isn't admitting anyone, the university is, right? And it seems unlikely that the universities don't realise that these students are outside their area. I ask because this reminds me of when Indian universities were not supposed to offer doctoral programmes by distance, and IGNOU basically just disregarded that rule.

True...but most of these universities being either understaffed or cash-strapped, just accept the applications coming from the study centers.

Also, I remember seeing something about the DEC of IGNOU and AICTE putting a halt on distance post-graduate engineering programs(Master of Engineering / Master of Technology) till they come up with a process to evaluate them. I couldn't find the link though. But some of the universities (or their study centers) are still offering these programs.
msganti

Postby GSingh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:39 am

I just listen about the M.A Psychology and don't know about the M.Sc Psychology. This thread tells me about the M.Sc Psychology..
GSingh

Postby careeravenuees » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:50 am

There is really no substantial difference.Most states require a doctoral degree to be licensed as a psychologist, but there are a few that license at the master's level.So it will depend on where you live and what are there rules.MA psy is easier as compared to MSC psy .MSC psy has more of anatomy related to it and has more focused approach.

Distance learning course in Delhi
careeravenuees

Postby rohitnacs » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:31 am

Hello friend,

If you want to pursue masters degree in psychology then you should prefer M.Sc in psychology because it has more market value than M.A.
After M.Sc in psychology you can easily get many choices of lecturers job in govt. institutes.

http://www.ipsmeerut.com/

http://www.ipseduhub.com/
rohitnacs

Return to Distance Learning