Are You Looking for Distance MBA Courses?

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Are You Looking for Distance MBA Courses?

Postby meera » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am

Are you searching for distance MBA courses? Without losing your career, you can achieve a master degree through this distance learning program. According to my opinion, Sikkim Manipal University is a good option for distance education and the directorate of distance education is recognized by ministry of HRD, UGC(University Grants Commission),DEC(Distance Education Council).They offers a high value certificates which are globally accepted.
meera

Re: Are You Looking for Distance MBA Courses?

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:11 pm

There's a shill in the air.
Rich Douglas

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:There's a shill in the air.

So it would seem. At least it's a real school, though.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby msganti » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:20 am

Agree. Though it appears to be a shill, the school is legitimate (at least for now).

The Distance Education Council in India recently announced that any University offering distance learning programs (through study centers) should not have any study centers outside it's jurisdiction (read "State"). Yet, I am seeing many shops in different states claiming to be the study centers of this (and other) universities. This happened before also (with Punjab Technical University, Allahabad Agricultural Institute etc), but those schools quickly remedied themselves.
msganti

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:53 pm

msganti wrote:The Distance Education Council in India recently announced that any University offering distance learning programs (through study centers) should not have any study centers outside it's jurisdiction (read "State"). Yet, I am seeing many shops in different states claiming to be the study centers of this (and other) universities. This happened before also (with Punjab Technical University, Allahabad Agricultural Institute etc), but those schools quickly remedied themselves.

Fascinating -- do you have a source for this?
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:04 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:Fascinating -- do you have a source for this?

It's here, Steve:

"3.3.That the parent institution shall not establish its Study Centres/Regional Centres outside its jurisdiction as specified in the parent institution Act/ MoA. In case of Deemed to be Universities the offering of distance education programmes will be confined to the state in which the main campus of the parent institution is located, except for programmes that are culturally and linguistically relevant even outside their state. Explicit approval of DEC should be obtained for offering such programmes"

You can read the whole document - all regulations, under "Norms and Standards" at http://www.dec.ac.in

Also - msganti is infallible :) on matters of Indian education. He always tells it like it is!

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:35 pm

BTW - this might explain some of the "disobedience" - schools opening centres in other States despite the DEC regulation - and the relevant UGC regulation as well. There was a notable instance in which a State-approved University in Sikkim (EIILM?) opened a branch campus in Mauritius, over strong objection. I believe the school maintained that under the laws of its State, it was permitted to do so. It's not hard to conjecture that other schools flouting the DEC and UGC regulations might be relying on more relaxed State rules -- or attempting to.

In India, distance ed. is still a bit of a frontier scenario in some ways. Regulations are evolving but there have been noticeable fiascos, like the 27 or so "new" State-chartered distance universities - very cheap for foreigners - that sprouted up in the somewhat new (then) State of Chhattisgarh. When the wide-open rulebook was re-written, all 27 schools were deemed deficient and promptly closed by Government order. :(

There was a group of (mostly) American Chhattisgarh-enthusiasts on the "boards" at the time who thought (until the debacle) that they'd discovered the DL degree-bargain of the century. :(

Just a thought as to why these schools think they can skirt the regulations. I don't think it'll last....

Johann
johann

Postby msganti » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 am

Again, a word of caution especially for foreign nationals (those from other than India).

The DL education system is evolving and considered experimental. Most traditional DL universities are state-run, under-staffed (on the Administration side) and could not withstand or streamline the inflow of applications. Hence the concept of satellite study centers. The study centers act as "facilitators" between the student and the school, offering a smooth admission handling, course material distribution and exam facilitation. It's a sad fact that some of these study centers are compromised, and providing back-doors to degrees.

The truth is, almost ALL of the Indian DL universities are not authorized/equipped to offer their DL courses to foreign nationals. The only exceptions I know of are:
- IGNOU has somestudy centers and planning to open more in the Europe - but no idea about USA.
- Don Bosco University has completely online programs, and accepts anybody across the world. About ~USD2000 for an MBA and ~USD3000 for an MSIT. this is a real steal.

I'll post more programs as I discover them.
msganti

Postby johann » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:58 am

Just looked up the Don Bosco University PDF catalogue. I notice they have 3-year Bachelor's degrees too - the BBA costing a TOTAL of $1,700 for foreigners - exams accessible pretty well world-wide, by computer. For a good school, this is nothing short of amazing! I think 3-year Bachelor's degrees are better-recognized here in Canada than they are in U.S. They're pretty well the norm in UK, I believe.

Good find, Msganti! :) Oh, by the way - isn't Madurai Kamaraj University a viable choice too? From their main site:
"The Directorate of Distance Education of the University has a student strength of about 1.30 lakhs."
IIRC, that means 130,000 distance students.

I believe they have a US location to facilitate study by America-based students, here: http://www.mkudeusa.org/ Main (India) site is http://www.mkuniversity.org

Johann
johann

Postby msganti » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 am

Yes - MKU is a good option too for the price. It's a good old school in India, and almost a pioneer in DL (along with Annamalai University). I am not sure though how the 3-year degrees will workout for the US environment.

The MKU study center is located in Solomons, Maryland. The guy running it is Dr. Selvin Kumar, and he is working out with more universities in India to setup shop in the USA. You can read more about it here: http://www.tamiluniversityusa.org/index.html

BTW - I just discovered this. Karnataka State Open University is a state-run university offfering DL programs in India. Recently, they started online programs (similar to DBU). Their MBA programs cost less than USD2000. KSOU is recognized by UGC and DEC. It's open to International students too.
http://www.ksouonline.edu.in/index.html
msganti

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Oh, I wasn't doubting msganti, I asked because I was genuinely interested, not skeptical!

U.S. foreign credential evaluators usually do not report that three year Bachelor's degree from Indian schools is the equivalent to a four year Bachelor's degree from a U.S. school. (They do evaluate three year Bachelor's degree from UK schools as such: draw what conclusion you like from that.)

Some schools here offer a "top up" fourth year of undergraduate study for those seeking entry to U.S. schools. This typically is good enough to "make up the difference", and not coincidentally it's also lucrative for the schools that offer it.
Last edited by SteveFoerster on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:04 pm

As for me, when it comes to India I would primarily consider doing a PhD through IGNOU. I realize there are other good universities there, but I'm interested in open educational resouces and they're a world leader in that area, so I expect that finding good supervision in my sub-field would be pretty easy, especially as I already have a few acquaintances among their faculty members.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby briantuck » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:33 am

See there is no.s of distance education centre across the globe but people still finding difficulties to find the best distance education..see if anyone want to go Mba Course Via Distance In Mumbai then I am Going to Provide that with Good facilities and Faculty...Its More than 18 years Old Distance education In Mumbai With 7 Branch. More than 5000 thousand students enroll over here...If You are going Ahead with Future Studies You Will Guide Better With Us..So take Enquiry With Us OR Missed Call On 8080045999
briantuck

Postby msganti » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:16 am

SteveFoerster wrote:U.S. foreign credential evaluators usually do not report that three year Bachelor's degree from Indian schools is the equivalent to a four year Bachelor's degree from a U.S. school. (They do evaluate three year Bachelor's degree from UK schools as such: draw what conclusion you like from that.)
it.

WES, for one, started evaluating Indian 3-year bachelor degrees - subject to some (fair) conditions. See here:
http://www.wes.org/students/indiapolicy.asp
Quote from their page:
This means that if you have earned a bachelor’s degree, such as B.Sc. or B.Com, with Division I or II from universities accredited by NAAC with a grade of “A” or better, then WES may evaluate your degree as equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree.

Refer to http://www.naac.gov.in/Universities_Colleges.html for universities accredited by NAAC
msganti

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:57 pm

msganti wrote:WES, for one, started evaluating Indian 3-year bachelor degrees - subject to some (fair) conditions. See here:
http://www.wes.org/students/indiapolicy.asp
Quote from their page:
This means that if you have earned a bachelor’s degree, such as B.Sc. or B.Com, with Division I or II from universities accredited by NAAC with a grade of “A” or better, then WES may evaluate your degree as equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree.

Refer to http://www.naac.gov.in/Universities_Colleges.html for universities accredited by NAAC

Very good to know, and good for them for making this change.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Next

Return to Distance Learning