Buy an accredited UK degree?

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Buy an accredited UK degree?

Postby wankopet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Just bought myself a degree in accounting from a UK university.
University is top 300 and number 68 in UK.

no exams no studying!!

u might want to check: http://ukrealdegree.blarghgsplat.com/
wankopet

Re: Buy an accredited UK degree?

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Spammer.

From the website:

WHAT YOU ARE BUYING

REAL Degree, REAL University, Fake Student.
University does exist, degree is real, but student does not attend the University.

This is a scam, but it isn't clear who gets scammed. Perhaps it is the buyer who gets issued a fake degree. Or perhaps it is the university (whichever one it is) that gets scammed by a company that submits fake documents on behalf of real applicants.

Something else, perhaps?

It is telling that neither the spammer nor the website reveals the university in question. If it was a legitimate service designed to help you through an external examining process towards a degree, the school would also be revealed.

So, what university is this, Spammer? (And note the vulgarity in the Spammer's account name). AMEX cards at the ready, sir! :roll:
Rich Douglas

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:28 pm

If they are breaking a law, then law enforcement can easily purchase the fake degree and expose the schools?

Also fully accredited by what agency ? :-)
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:55 am

Reminds me of the various "diploma replacement services" out there. Thirty years ago, the TV station I worked for had a reporter buy a replacement Ph.D. From New Mexico State University. Not only did he not hold a Ph.D., NMSU didn't even offer such a degree! Yet here was this entirely convincing diploma.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Rich Douglas » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Eric wrote:http://www.university-list.net/uk/rank/univ-10001.htm

Ranking universities in UK

Link doesn't work. Url doesn't work, either. Google lists it, but none of the links work.

Not a very credible source anyway, is it? The Times would be a better one, especially for UK schools.
Rich Douglas

Postby donnawhite » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:06 am

wankopet wrote:Just bought myself a degree in accounting from a UK university.
University is top 300 and number 68 in UK.

no exams no studying!!

This is totally scam here
no exams no studying !!!!!!!!! What is this????
Never trust on the like scammers
donnawhite

Postby worthingco » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:48 pm

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been deleted by the moderator(s).
worthingco

Postby Hungry Ghost » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:39 pm

worthingco wrote:I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been deleted by the moderator(s).

Nobody had clicked on the 'report this post' link, so I just did. I suggested to Gus that he delete the link to the fraud-site, but let the thread remain, because it illustrates what may be interesting issues with the British-style "validation" practice.

Rich Douglas wrote:From the website:

WHAT YOU ARE BUYING

REAL Degree, REAL University, Fake Student.
University does exist, degree is real, but student does not attend the University.

This is a scam, but it isn't clear who gets scammed. Perhaps it is the buyer who gets issued a fake degree. Or perhaps it is the university (whichever one it is) that gets scammed by a company that submits fake documents on behalf of real applicants.

I agree with Rich. This might be a fake-diploma service, or maybe it's something more sinister than that.

Several British universities have already gotten themselves into trouble with their practice of "validating" separate institutions all around the world to offer the British school's degree programs. I'm sure that the great majority of these deputized schools are perfectly fine, but a few have proven to be embarassing. The British universities basically oversee these arrangements all by themselves, with perfunctory oversight from the QAA. And some British universities seem to have seen them as money-making opportunities, ways to get a nice cash-flow coming in at little cost to themselves, by licensing out use of their names.

The late University of Wales' validation unit suffered a tremendous explosion a couple of years ago, when British newspapers and TV got wind of some of the abuses flying the Wales flag. There was the Malaysian pop-star with a phony doctorate awarding U. of Wales degrees. There was another company that was both offering Wales degree programs and selling degrees from American degree mills on the same website. Significantly, the QAA's evaluations continued to praise the Wales validation unit right up to the time that office disbanded.

It is telling that neither the spammer nor the website reveals the university in question. If it was a legitimate service designed to help you through an external examining process towards a degree, the school would also be revealed.

If they really are facilitating individuals purchasing degrees from some unnamed British university, without having undertaken any studies or done any work, perhaps by creating fake files full of phony exam results and purchased prewritten papers for use if the QAA or anybody ever decides to check up, and not just selling fake diplomas with the University's name on them, then of course the organization committing this fraud isn't going to reveal either its own name or the school they are parasitic on. If the university ever got wind that a particular foreign partner is this corrupt, then the school would quickly terminate the "validation" arrangement and the (perhaps) very profitable scam would come to an end.

Reportedly abuses like this are very popular in places like China, and might not be all that uncommon there. It isn't just British universities that it's happening to, there are schools from other countries as well.
Hungry Ghost

Postby johann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:Several British universities have already gotten themselves into trouble with their practice of "validating" separate institutions all around the world to offer the British school's degree programs.

Indeed they have -- and others might. University of Cumbria is one of the UK's newer universities. I'm told it narrowly avoided bankruptcy only a few years back. It has since augmented its revenue by going down the "validation" path. Here's its validation page:

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/AboutUs/Servic ... ships.aspx

The page indicates U. of Cumbria has validated degree programs at Swiss Cantonally-registered Robert Kennedy College. This school has been much discussed, mostly in an unfavourable light, in DD and various other degree fora for at least ten years. Like most Cantonally-registered schools, it does not have the equivalent of institutional accreditation - i.e. Swiss Federation approval. It can "legally" grant degrees but they have no inherent standing. U. of Cumbria has not validated degrees of Malaysian pop-stars' schools so far, but who knows?

Hungry Ghost wrote:Reportedly abuses like this are very popular in places like China, and might not be all that uncommon there. It isn't just British universities that it's happening to, there are schools from other countries as well.

Yes. It happens a lot of places. The Russian "provedennyi diplom" scheme is well-known. For around $7,500 to $10,000, a corrupt official at a good, but cash-strapped State school will issue a degree. The diploma is genuine, has all the right stamps and the recipient's name and his/her uh, "academic records" are entered in the school's system.

Johann
johann

Return to Distance Learning