Low COST Master's

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Low COST Master's

Postby Asus1000 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 am

Greetings All,
I am on the look out for a Master's program in Business/Finance/or Accounting around 10K . I am not based in US or a US citizen.
Please provide me suggestions of schools. I have and am still considering few South african universities and welcome any thoughts on US vs SA institutions.
Many thanks

MK
Asus1000

Re: Low COST Master's

Postby nosborne48 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:34 pm

I had a very positive experience with Taft Law School whose sister is W.H. Taft University www.taftu.edu

WHTU offers an MBA in your price range. The school is accredited by the DETC.

Now, this program might not meet your needs. It surely won't carry weight in the world of Big Business but if the goal is to do consulting or work in smaller, more local firms and markets, you might find it useful.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Asus1000 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks Nosborne,
Taft i am not sure about it present. I really not keen on MBA program as these days every tom dick and harry working towards MBA.
I seek a master's program i.e. non MBA.
Thanks

MK
Asus1000

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:16 am

Asus1000 wrote:I seek a master's program i.e. non MBA.

Just for the sake of terminology correctness, an MBA is a Master of Business Administration, which means that it is a Master's degree. To be clear, you should say you want a Master's degree other than an MBA.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Asus1000 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:43 am

Point taken Steve, cheers
MK
Asus1000

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 am

Every tom dick and harry? Oh, yes, so it would appear. That might be why WHTU reduced its MBA fees to about $4,000 total (if you finish).

WHTU also offers a Master of Science in Taxation, definitely NOT in the "etdah" class. Total tuition for THAT degree runs close to $12,000. Far fewer schools in competition for students, you see. You mentioned accounting but I doubt a U.S. tax degree would be of much use to an Aussie (though it would qualify you to take the California CPA exam).
nosborne48

Postby Asus1000 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 am

Nosborne, I've looked at the program and is on list follow up.
These days eveyone tries to earn a MBA. and frankly the value of a MBA is watered down, hence I seek a non MBA, graduate degree program.
MK
Asus1000

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Oh, I'm not trying to sell you anything, believe me. I don't have an MBA myself and have no intention of earning one, either.

The tightest constraint on your search is the $10K price cap. That excludes most regionally accredited distance learning programs in business related subjects. Most DETC accredited business masters programs are MBAs.

There is also the University of London distance learning program. My own attempts at earning a Master of Laws through the UoL met with a pretty solid failure but that was in part because I did not have access to a suitable Commonwealth based law library. A business degree should be a bit easier to arrange. Tax law resources certainly were easier for me to access.

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/pr ... /index.php

I think you would end up spending something close to double your $10K target, though.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:28 pm

This might suit you, Asus1000. It's Regionally Accredited, not an MBA and under 10K. Master of Science, Management Science, from Amberton University. 36 credits, $705 per 3-credit course - total tuition $8,460. Here it is: http://www.amberton.edu/Degrees/Graduate/Default.aspx

Also, Wayne State (again, Regionally Accredited) offers a distance Master of Science degree in Organizational Management and I believe it can be done for $10K or slightly less - here: http://www.wsc.edu/schools/nss/hhps/grad_programs/ms/ (I think tuition is $237.50 per credit for distance students; that would make the total around $9,000.)

Whatever program you choose, I wish you every sucess.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:53 pm

nosborne48 wrote:I think you would end up spending something close to double your $10K target, though.

There are places to earn a well-respected British Master's Degree for 'way less than $20K. U of Leicester offers several distance Master of Science programs (notably Finance and Management) for 7,300-7,900 pounds total. That's US $11,500 to $12,400. Here's their page. http://www2.le.ac.uk/study/ways/distance/courses

And no -- I am in no way shilling... I mean affiliated with any school I've mentioned. :)

Johann
johann

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:33 pm

johann wrote:Also, Wayne State (again, Regionally Accredited) offers a distance Master of Science degree in Organizational Management and I believe it can be done for $10K or slightly less - here: http://www.wsc.edu/schools/nss/hhps/grad_programs/ms/ (I think tuition is $237.50 per credit for distance students; that would make the total around $9,000.)

For clarity, Johann refers to Wayne State College, a fine, regionally accredited, public college of about 3600 students in Wayne, Nebraska, not Wayne State University, the fine regionally accredited public university of about 32600 students in Detroit (Wayne County), Michigan.
Jonathan Whatley

Postby johann » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Jonathan Whatley wrote:For clarity, Johann refers to Wayne State College...

Indeed I was, Jonathan. Thanks for making it clear. :)

Johann
johann

Postby Asus1000 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Gents thanks heaps.

I have UOL of on the list and Leeds uni. I know Leed charge around 9500 Pounds for its MBA. Thats around 20K in New Zealand.
I have few Aussie School on the list.
At present I am exploring all available options and I do appreciate your efforts.

MK
Asus1000

Postby willijenny » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:36 am

Why choose low-cost MBA programme in the UK

* Low cost, and affordable;
* No prior work experience required;
* Students can work up to 20 hours during their studies to support themselves in London;
* Globally respected UK university degrees;
* Intensive courses allowing completion in the minimum time;
* Access to careers in management at a senior level.
willijenny

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:56 pm

An American student considering a UK distance degree should take careful stock of the degree requirements and his own available resources. In my case, the lack of a local common-law library (plus some issues with the UK system of grading) finally caused me to drop out and seek an American degree instead. I'm not saying, "Don't do it" but I am saying "Be aware."

The systems and expectations really are different. An American can be blindsided by the English approach both in traffic and in higher education.
nosborne48

Return to Distance Learning