The Giordano Bruno GlobalShift University

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

The Giordano Bruno GlobalShift University

Postby cbkent » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:17 pm

This is a new one--founded 9/11/11. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with them? http://www.giordanobrunouniversity.com/
cbkent

Re: The Giordano Bruno GlobalShift University

Postby Hungry Ghost » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 pm

cbkent wrote:This is a new one--founded 9/11/11. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with them? http://www.giordanobrunouniversity.com/

Never heard of them until now. My initial impression is that whatever it is, it puts out a slightly unpleasant odor.

The FAQ page includes this:

GBU is licensed in Washington DC, and has started the accreditation process by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Our credits and degrees are to be recognized and accepted by other accredited colleges, universities, and professional schools throughout the World.

"Has started the accreditation process"? Credits and degrees "are to be recognized"? Even assuming that this information is meaningful and true, we still don't know whether the thing has any chance of eventually achieving candidacy. What's more, using an accreditor's name in boasts about planning to become accredited sometime in the future is generally a big no no. Even schools with recognized candidacy are usually required to include a disclaimer saying that candidacy does not ensure eventual accreditation.

Its 'contact' page is just a form.

A Google search on '.edu' domains suggests that this thing is spamming discussion boards on university websites. I assume that the idea is to generate .edu hits. Here's an example of what's being posted from a British university board. The slightly bizarre text obviously wasn't written by a native English-speaker.

The 'faculty and tutors' page doesn't seem to include any names. I'm guessing that some names will eventually appear, since the thing is advertising for faculty.

And te thing seems to be busily selling franchises.

Maybe it really is a good-faith effort to start an idealistic new DL university. Time will tell. But right now, I'm skeptical.
Hungry Ghost

Postby johann » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 pm

This looks like another operation I've seen before that had a similar grandiose ring -- named all its schools after famous figures - as this one does with Erasmus, Da Vinci etc. Can't place it yet... Apparently, the mother organization is in Tuscany. (Does that make it close to Seborga?) :)

I'm sorry - I could be wrong, but I've never seen a new-school website with such a pretentious feel about it, that turned into a workable, legit and enduring entity. Here's a link to the Chancellor's web-page: http://ervinlaszlo.com/gche/about/ . The premature accreditation blurb, the franchise-selling and the virtual spamming of uni. sites don't add any class, either.

Johnan
johann

Re: Of interest to Physicists - Unified Theory of Everything

Postby johann » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Seems from the Wiki that Dr. Laszlo was originally a concert pianist, and is now a philosopher. His philosophy has reached into spiritual realms and he has allied himself with others who have made a lot of money from things spiritual -- e.g. Deepak Chopra. He claims to have what is basically a "unified theory" of everything, to do with "Akashic fields" -- more here. (Remember the Akash Tablet in the off-topic forum? Word from the same root.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ervin_L%C3%A1szl%C3%B3

His web-page here has obviously striven for popular appeal. Can't say it succeeds with me. http://www.ervinlaszlo.com

I'd no more sign up for this than I'd sign up for a "Deepak Chopra University" or an "Oprah Winfrey College!"

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Just checked. Seborga is in Liguria. Not all that far, but definitely distinct from Tuscany. Despite lack of a Seborga connection, my feelings about this school are still unhinged -- I mean unchanged. :)

Johann
johann

Postby SteveFoerster » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:
GBU is licensed in Washington DC, and has started the accreditation process by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Our credits and degrees are to be recognized and accepted by other accredited colleges, universities, and professional schools throughout the World.

Normally I would say to beware of those forward looking statements, but I don't actually believe the one that makes a claim about the present. The D.C. Board of Education web site doesn't mention them. I realize that I've complained elsewhere that ODA can't keep an online list current either, but I'm at least peripherally familiar with the D.C. office and have the feeling that's not what's happening here.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby John Bear » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 am

The opening statement on their website is a bit awkward.
"Mikhail Gorbachev, Desmond Tutu, Deeprak Chopra, Jane Goodall and the Princess of Netherlands converge that Giordano Bruno University it’s an avantgarde project that will provide higher education to the most unprivileged young people the world."

Google maps suggests their Washington address is a small office building with dental and therapy offices, but not them.

And it is unusual but not unheard of for a university URL registration to be done with the GoDaddy "anonymous" service.

But they surely have some impressive folks participating (by video) in their launch ceremony.
John Bear

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 pm

johann wrote:Seems from the Wiki that Dr. Laszlo was originally a concert pianist, and is now a philosopher.

Erwin Laszlo was actually rather famous in more avant-garde intellectual circles, back in the 60's and 70's as I recall. An early proponent of "systems-theory" or something, and author of several books. (I may even have one of his books in a cardboard box somewhere.) If he's the originator of this new school, then that's probably a point in its favor.

I wonder what's up with that. Is this an elderly academic personality who decided to start his own personal university in order to propagate his views, and doesn't really care a whole lot about the formalities?

It's happened before. I remember the case of a fairly high-powered Chinese immigrant academic in California who just set up a website and started awarding his own advanced degrees in Chinese philosophy, without bothering to get state approval or anything. On one hand what he was doing was thoroughly illegal, but on the other hand, he probably was more knowledgeable about contemporary Chinese philosophy and in closer contact with academics back in China than many University of California professors ostensibly teaching the subject.

Another thing -- Erwin Laszlo is probably nearing 80 by now and I wonder how involved he would be in the detailed work that would be necessary if somebody was actually trying to start a real accreditable university. I'll speculate that he might just be lending his name to it, supplying the broad philosophy and the inspiration from his retirement home (in Tuscany?), and that the actual shape of the online business might be somebody else's doing entirely. His fronting for the project might be what attracted Jane Goodall et.al. to its launch. It's possible that somebody is taking advantage of the old man, or maybe everybody's sincere and just kind of clueless.
Hungry Ghost

Postby johann » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Hungry Ghost wrote:(The faculty and tutors' page) doesn't seem to include any names. I'm guessing that some names will eventually appear, since the thing is advertising for faculty.

I'll bet Hans, the 6Dr., Prof. Pot, The WIDOO of Kentucky and other Wackademics are eagerly polishing their curtain-rods at the prospect. Dunno if any of 'em will succeed in gaining appointments. Hope not. There's talk on the website of appointing spiritual mentors - hope the fake-Mahatma of IUFS doesn't get wind of it.

Even if the concept itself is sincere, the whole thing is SO open to victimization ... I can't see it surviving. 80-year-old academic and some opportunists. Sounds like a WIDOO/Evreinov bomb, waiting to explode.

Johann
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:50 pm

It seems to me.......

I don't think it is EVER proper for an applicant for accreditation to make any claim AT ALL about the possible outcome of the application.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 pm

I don't think so, either. But when you're already "accredited" by Deepak Chopra 'n them, I guess you kinda forget about insignificant things like that. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dr. Phil, Joel Osteen and Eckhart Tolle joining the board.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:10 pm

Resurrecting this thread just to say that Giordano Bruno U. is still making outrageous claims of "exclusive international accreditation."

Becoming a citizen of the world The official accreditation of the various programs that Giordano Bruno GlobalShift University's academic body comprises is divided into two major areas:

a) We are initiating a process to obtain International level accreditation by the "Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools", an accredited institution of higher education programs in the United States.

b) At a national level the responsibility will remain with the licensees. It will be processed by them before the local authorities of the different countries where our university operates.

Our exclusive international accreditation will provide our graduates a competitive advantage to reach beyond a traditional local field of action towards
global working opportunities in all sorts of organizations such as government agencies, NGO's, multinational corporations and many others that, in
turn, expand their own borders throughout the global world we live in.

I read up a tiny bit on the late Giordano Bruno, who seems to have been a good man who met a vile end at the hands of the Church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno

By making ridiculous, exaggerated claims of accreditation, I think this school does a disservice to the memory of the man from whom it derives its name.

Johann
johann

Postby toribio » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:27 am

Please be aware that GIORDANOBRUNOUNIVERSITY.COM is a Fraud Scam created by a well known Mexican megalomaniac named Francisco de Paula Leon Olea, whose life has been surrounded by scandal, fraud and corruption, you can read about this man here: http://www.cronica.com.mx/notas/2003/88713.html
toribio

Postby johann » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:34 pm

His GBU colleague Erwin Laszlo is a musician-turned-philosopher -with some cred. Señor de Paula Leon Olea is said to be a musician-turned-philosopher. One of his books, about a "Unified System for Mankind" is listed on Amazon.

Here is his 14-minute ad for his Uni. on Youtube. I watched the whole thing, so you don't have to. Make your own decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHkIxXpw8L8

Beam me up, Scotty! :(

Johann
johann

Return to Distance Learning