Yorktown University? Who ARE these guys?

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Yorktown University? Who ARE these guys?

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:35 pm

School offers an MA in Government for $18,000, a bit pricey for a DETC Master's degree but not completely unheard of I don't think...but the school seems to be dedicated to perpetuating the doubtful economic theories of the Reagan era coupled with a distasteful (to me) reference to our "judeo-christian heritage". Why must such people always include the Jews when talking about an almost entirely Greek-derived civilization? IT'S NOT OUR FAULT! :evil:

www.yorktownuniversity.edu
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: Yorktown University? Who ARE these guys?

Postby johann » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Why must such people always include the Jews when talking about an almost entirely Greek-derived civilization? IT'S NOT OUR FAULT! :evil:

Of course it's not, Nosborne. Can't say I agree with Yorktown's pundits -- but this writer does indeed discuss Jewish events, starting with Moses ascending Mount Sinai... If you look at this document on the Yorktown site, you may not like/agree with it, but you will begin to see where these people are coming from:

http://www.yorktownuniversity.edu/docum ... dition.doc

Feel free to stop at any point. :)

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:07 pm

This is old. Back in 2000, this article appeared, stating whom Yorktown U. is intended for: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-18896111.html

Quote: "President and Chief Executive Officer Dr. Richard J. Bishirjian, said Yorktownuniversity.com is aimed at "the literally millions of American conservatives who feel disenfranchised by the uniformly and relentlessly liberal teachings of our colleges and universities."

Dr. Bishirjian is the author of the "Judaeo-Christian" document referred to in my earlier posting. He earned his Ph.D. (Government and International Studies) at Notre Dame.

Johann
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:11 pm

In my experience, University faculty DO tend to be Lefties. But sometimes actually knowing something about a subject can get one tagged as a "liberal" because one doesn't accept the received wisdom. Take evolution, for instance.

My law school professors ran the spectrum from middle of the road to (shrill) Marxist. I don't think I encountered a single conservative, meaning anyone to the Right of myself.
nosborne48

Postby Hungry Ghost » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:26 pm

nosborne48 wrote:School offers an MA in Government for $18,000, a bit pricey for a DETC Master's degree but not completely unheard of I don't think...

Yorktown's been around for quite a while. I remember posting about it back in the good-old-days. As I recall, Arthur Laffer taught some classes for them once upon a time, which impressed me. On the other hand, the guy who owns Robert de Sorbon once taught a class on European Conservatism for them too, which didn't impress me nearly as much.

I guess that Yorktown is an acquired taste, suited for a particular kind of student. It's like theological seminaries in that regard, or perhaps those trendy 'cultural studies' programs for students at the other end of the political spectrum. If you're already into what one of these schools teaches, then it will be very attractive. If you aren't, then it won't.

but the school seems to be dedicated to perpetuating the doubtful economic theories of the Reagan era

Seriously, are there any economic theories that aren't doubtful? I suspect that despite all the mathematization, economics isn't really law-governed in quite the same way that physics is. It doesn't become a science as easily.

It's only makes things worse when economics is joined at the hip with politics. That results in a great deal of economics (like much of social science) turning into little more than sophistry, rhetoric designed to justify conclusions that were already held for entirely different (and typically more self-serving) reasons.

coupled with a distasteful (to me) reference to our "judeo-christian heritage".

I've never studied Yorktown very closely and don't recall the details from years ago, but the overtly religious angle seems to me to have been added since I looked at it last. I can't say that I like it either. (The religious right gives me the creeps, just as the trendy/looney left does.)

Why must such people always include the Jews when talking about an almost entirely Greek-derived civilization? IT'S NOT OUR FAULT! :evil:

Yes it is. Entirely your fault, Nosborne.

I guess that historically, Christianity could be described as a Jewish heresy. It continued proselytizing and eventually won Imperial patronage, while the more orthodox Judaism brought disaster down on itself in the two failed Jewish wars against Roman domination of Judea. So the Orthodox side stopped proselyting and turned in on itself, while the Christian side kept on spreading aggressively all over the map. Then the Muslims showed up sporting much of the same mythology and...

So yeah, there is definitely a Jewish strain in the Western civilization mix, even if it found its way there kind of indirectly.
Hungry Ghost

Postby Tark » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:12 pm

In my experience, University faculty DO tend to be Lefties.

This is, of course, a frequent complaint from the Right Wing. Yet there is nothing to stop conservatives from establishing right-wing universities, and Yorktown, to its credit, appears to be doing just that.

What I find curious about Yorktown is the almost total lack of information about enrollments or degree completions. Yorktown staff seem to be working hard to make sure the institution has a newsworthy profile -- by granting honorary degrees, attending conferences, distributing podcasts, issuing position statements, and so forth -- but there is surprisingly little indication that they actually issue degrees. For example, their 2011 graduation press release highlights Arthur Laffer as the Commencement speaker, without mentioning a word about any graduating students.

In their August 2009 newsletter, the big news was that one of their students would be earning an MA in Government.
In ther September 2010 newsletter, the big news was that the same student had, in fact, earned that degree.
In their December 2010 newsletter, they featured the same student again.
And that student's testimonial is now featured on their website.

It's great that a Yorktown student has earned an MA in Government. But there is so much coverage of this one student, and so little mention of any others, that you almost get the sense that this may be the only student that they have.

So I wonder about their enrollments and completion numbers. I suspect they are very small.
Tark

Postby Tark » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:52 pm

It's great that a Yorktown student has earned an MA in Government. But there is so much coverage of this one student, and so little mention of any others, that you almost get the sense that this may be the only student that they have.

DETC prepares an annual publication that highights "Outstanding Graduates" of DETC-accredited schools. Yorktown contributed to the 2011 edition, featuring ... the same student again.

This particular student may, in fact, be outstanding -- I just wonder how many other recent graduates Yorktown has. No Yorktown graduates were included among the 2009 or 2010 DETC "Outstanding Graduates", and there apparently won't be any in 2012 either.
Tark

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:33 am

Alas for DETC, then. Since my LL.M. is from a DETC accredited school, I am a little bit defensive but when I saw that they accredited the University of Atlanta...doubtless a legitimate school NOW but lordy, what a past...

I still think that Christianity is much more the development of Greek and Roman paganism than it is a Jewish heresy. The Temples are the same, the calendar is the same (or nearly so)...and all that Greek thought about the body/soul/spirit tricotomy and the Platonic notion of perfection "out there"...None of that is Jewish. There's a reason that the gospels were written in Greek instead of Hebrew.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:24 pm

nosborne48 wrote:...None of that is Jewish. There's a reason that the gospels were written in Greek instead of Hebrew.

I agree that they were so written, Nosborne - i.e. in Greek. However, I'm not sure of your philological reasoning. I'm given to understand that Greek (Koiné) was a lingua franca in the time and place of Jesus. Also that there were many (primarily) Aramaic/Hebrew-speaking Jews and many other Jews who were day-to-day Greek-speakers. Apparently, the two groups didn't always get along well together. Somewhere in Acts, I believe, St. Paul mentions this and says that there should be no further "differing" by Christians who were former Greek-speaking Jews and Christians who were former Hebrew/Aramaic speaking Jews.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:18 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Alas for DETC, then. Since my LL.M. is from a DETC accredited school, I am a little bit defensive but when I saw that they accredited the University of Atlanta...doubtless a legitimate school NOW but lordy, what a past...

I don't think you should worry about that, Nosborne. Some people will always diss DETC because it has, on several occasions, accredited a school that was a horror-story in bygone days, although it subsequently reformed and successfully met DETC standards. Apparently DETC is like many churches - if a truly repentant sinner has seen the light, yea, he is forgiven. :)

Most recent example I can recall is California Miramar University - now a pretty darn decent DETC school. It is the purchased-and-rebranded Pacific Western University. DETC has done this sort of (legit) forgiveness-accreditation several times, usually ushering-in a new round of beard-wagging and raiment-rending from some of the doyens of distance-ed here and in other fora. Less of it in recent years -and that's a good thing, as I see it. Can't remember a single instance of recidivism - a truly awful school that was re-branded, DETC-shriven and then went back to (or even thought about) its old shenanigans. If it ever happened, I'm sure DETC would deal with it.

I think DETC must have a couple of old-fashioned country preachers on staff - fellers who can look someone in the eye and tell if they're truly repentant. :)

Johann
johann

Postby John Bear » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:40 am

The only recidivist that comes to mind is the Canadian School of Management.
John Bear

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:20 pm

johann wrote:Some people will always diss DETC because it has, on several occasions, accredited a school that was a horror-story in bygone days, although it subsequently reformed and successfully met DETC standards. Apparently DETC is like many churches - if a truly repentant sinner has seen the light, yea, he is forgiven. :)

For what it's worth, I interviewed Mike Lambert earlier this year, and he commented on this sort of thing.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Interesting interview. The ABA keeps accrediting unnecessary new law schools because, they claim, restricting accreditation to match supply and demand would violate anti-trust law. Hm. The medical folks seem to be okay with it.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:39 pm

"But they never let that body go, they're still dragging it around. Sad!" (Mike Lambert, DETC)

Well said, Mike! :)

Re: recidivism and CSM, mentioned by Dr. Bear:

Good point. Forgot all about 'em. Started with good intentions, ended up with a degree-granting arm in Vanuatu! Was DETC-accredited twice, I think - then uh, relinquished it, both times. The only school I can think of with that distinction. That was some years ago. An accreditor's progress, like any other field of endeavour, is a learning experience. I'm sure DETC learned everything offered by that episode.

Johann
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm

And anyway, SteveFoerster's interview with the DETC maven does set my mind at rest. Somewhat. :|
nosborne48

Return to Distance Learning