An unusual kind of d/l accreditation

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

An unusual kind of d/l accreditation

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:32 am

More and more states are requiring pleasure boaters to obtain a boater education card. The card must generally be obtained by completing a course, online or resident, from a provider approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators.

These courses are well enough regarded that the U.S. Coast Guard requires completion of one such course for the grant of two of its lesser commercial deck licenses.

For various reasons, I decided to do one of these courses. I grew up on the water and spent some time at sea. Nevertheless, there is absolutely no way I could complete this course in the eight hours suggested. It will take twice that time, probably, and I am learning and re-learning the water-borne lessons of a lifetime.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: An unusual kind of d/l accreditation

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:32 am

Where are you taking it from?

There are similar provisions in Canada, requiring a Pleasure Craft Operator Card, with in-person or online courses from providers including the St. John Ambulance.
Jonathan Whatley

Re: An unusual kind of d/l accreditation

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:30 am

From the Boat US Foundation. The course is very similar to the Canadian version, I believe.

Whew! After looking at the pix in the fire safety section, I think I'll avoid fiberglass boats.

I actually used to be a more-or-less qualified merchant seaman which included some pretty heavy-duty hands-on firefighting training. Gasoline fires inside closed spaces with Scott air packs sort of thing. Still, those pictures of burning fiberglass hulls are disconcerting to me.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Return to Distance Learning