Bulacan State PhD

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Bulacan State PhD

Postby bing » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:39 am

Saw this posting by Redlyne Racer over on DegreeBoard. The posting thought this program was GAAP...

http://www.hkma.org.hk/program/program_ ... ver_type=E

If it's GAAP then the program seems a bargain at under $12K.

Bing
bing

Postby PatsFan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:45 am

It looked pretty good until I read this paragraph:

Exemption from Coursework

The Bulacan State University provides the opportunity for candidates to apply to have prior learning considered for credit exemption from all or part of the coursework subjects where the prior learning is related to the initial knowledge of the course. Forms of prior learning include previous study
from recognized tertiary organizations, relevant informal learning from work or life experience or post-experience courses undertaken outside a recognized tertiary education organization.

The University does not normally allow exemption from the four core subjects unless the candidate can demonstrate evidence of a prior research background or a history of achievement in research.
BA, Nyack College
MAR, Eastern Nazarene College
MSW, University of Connecticut
D.Min, Ashland Theological Seminary
PatsFan

Bulacan State PhD brochure

Postby bing » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:50 am

Here is a link to the brochure...

http://www.hkma.org.hk/pdf/BDBA.pdf

The do list forms of exemption, though...

"Forms of Exemption
Block exemption - exemption granted under predetermined
arrangement for postgraduate or professional qualifications.
For example, candidates who possess an MBA or other
business/management related postgraduate degrees or
relevant professional qualifications, e.g. ACCA, HKICPA (or
HKSA), CPA or CICPA are eligible to apply for credit
exemption from all of the major and elective subjects.
Director subject exemption - exemption is granted where
there is one-to-one, equivalent-level correspondence
between the applicant’s prior learning and BSU subjects.
Indirect subject exemption - exemption granted where the
prior learning of the candidate is judged to be relevant to the
course at the appropriate level but may not directly
correspond to specific course subjects. Indirect exemption
is usually granted towards meeting the major and elective
requirements of the program."

Bing

PatsFan wrote:It looked pretty good until I read this paragraph:

The Bulacan State University provides the opportunity for candidates to apply to have prior learning considered for credit exemption from all or part of the coursework subjects where the prior learning is related to the initial knowledge of the course. Forms of prior learning include previous study
from recognized tertiary organizations, relevant informal learning from work or life experience or post-experience courses undertaken outside a recognized tertiary education organization.

The University does not normally allow exemption from the four core subjects unless the candidate can demonstrate evidence of a prior research background or a history of achievement in research.
bing

Re: Bulacan State PhD

Postby The Poster » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:35 am

bing wrote:Saw this posting by Redlyne Racer over on DegreeBoard. The posting thought this program was GAAP...

Bing

"Redlyne Racer" = Larry Creeden, Attorney at Law.
The Poster

Re: Bulacan State PhD

Postby bing » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:09 pm

It sounds like that is significant. Why? Is he a shyster or something? Famous for spamming? A famous attorney? An infamous attorney? Anymore details?

Thanks, Bing

The Poster wrote:
bing wrote:Saw this posting by Redlyne Racer over on DegreeBoard. The posting thought this program was GAAP...

Bing

"Redlyne Racer" = Larry Creeden, Attorney at Law.
bing

Postby PatsFan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:56 pm

IMHO credit for prior coursework is one thing, but for "relevant informal learning from work or life experience" is suggestive of a degree mill. It's unusual for a reputable school to give students credit for life experience for a doctoral program.
BA, Nyack College
PatsFan

Postby SteveFoerster » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:22 pm

PatsFan wrote:IMHO credit for prior coursework is one thing, but for "relevant informal learning from work or life experience" is suggestive of a degree mill. It's unusual for a reputable school to give students credit for life experience for a doctoral program.

Indeed, although at the same time universities in many countries don't require any coursework at all for doctoral programs. It seems odd that latter would be fine and the former unacceptable.

(That's a general comment only; I don't know anything about this particular school.)

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby PatsFan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:32 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
PatsFan wrote:IMHO credit for prior coursework is one thing, but for "relevant informal learning from work or life experience" is suggestive of a degree mill. It's unusual for a reputable school to give students credit for life experience for a doctoral program.

Indeed, although at the same time universities in many countries don't require any coursework at all for doctoral programs. It seems odd that latter would be fine and the former unacceptable.

(That's a general comment only; I don't know anything about this particular school.) =Steve=-

The British and South African schools don't require coursework. Perhaps this school has some British influence? The brochure seemed to downplay the credit for work and life experience stuff.
BA, Nyack College
PatsFan

Much ado about nothing

Postby DTechBA » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:52 pm

PatsFan wrote:It looked pretty good until I read this paragraph:

Many schools offer exemptions passed on prior learning, both here in the USA and overseas. It is not a requirement to have a masters degree to enter a PhD program in many school. Hoever, if you have one it will probably exempt you from much of the initial coursework....
DTechBA

Re: Much ado about nothing

Postby PatsFan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:11 pm

DTechBA wrote:
PatsFan wrote:Many schools offer exemptions passed on prior learning, both here in the USA and overseas. ...

Right, but not for life experience. That's reserved for undergraduate programs at reputable schools from my experience.
BA, Nyack College
PatsFan

Postby John Bear » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:33 pm

I applied the Hungry Ghost technique, which gives some evidence a school's position in the world of higher education.

A Google search for "Bulacan State University" produces 681 hits, which seems remarkably low for "one of the nation's leading institutions" -- which has been in business for over 100 years, and has been called Bulacan at least since 1953.

For comparison, I did a comparable search for five other Philippine universities, and they yielded between 250,000 and 600,000 hits each.
John Bear

That does seem to be an odd one for such a school

Postby bing » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:25 am

Even Dixie College, in Utah, gets over 75,000 its on Google.

I took a look at Linkedin and found that there was one hit for Bulacan. A Josepfina Alfonso is listed as associated dean/architect there.

Bing

John Bear wrote:I applied the Hungry Ghost technique, which gives some evidence a school's position in the world of higher education.

A Google search for "Bulacan State University" produces 681 hits, which seems remarkably low for "one of the nation's leading institutions" -- which has been in business for over 100 years, and has been called Bulacan at least since 1953.

For comparison, I did a comparable search for five other Philippine universities, and they yielded between 250,000 and 600,000 hits each.
bing

Postby uncle janko » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:11 pm

Is it really a government university? Or is it an ice cream school?
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

Postby FWD » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Oddly notes it was
converted into a leading modern university in 1993.
I'm not exactly sure how that happens.
FWD

Postby Hungry Ghost » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:34 am

Here's Bulacan's history:

http://www.bulsu.edu.ph/aboutbulsu/aboutbulsu.htm

1904 - The institution had its humble beginning as an intermediate school...

1953 - By virtue of Republic Act No. 908, the Bulacan Trade School (BTS) was nationalized and became the Bulacan National Trade School (BNTS)...

1957 - By virtue of Republic Act. 1800, the school became the Bulacan National School of Arts and Trades (BNSAT).

1960 - Through another legislative act, the BNSAT was renamed Bulacan School of Arts and Trades (BSAT).

1965 - Republic Act No. 4470, sponsored by late Hon. Teodulo C. Natividad, converted the school into the Bulacan College of Arts and Trade to provide higher professional instruction...

1993 - His Excellency Fidel V. Ramos, President of the Republic of the Philippines signed into law Republic Act. No. 7665, the charter of the Bulacan State University. Hon. Teodulo C. Natividad was also the principal author of House Bill No. 461 which later became the aforesaid law...
Here's Bulacan's current lineup of programs:

http://www.bulsu.edu.ph/programs/programs.htm

It offers doctorates in business and in education, masters degrees in business, public administration and education, plus bachelors degrees in those fields plus engineering and various practical things.

They say that it has 19,000 students, but some of those are at satellite campuses.

I don't know what reference books this is listed in, but as a state university I'd guess that it's GAAP.

It looks like a vocational high school that became a community-college-type thing in the 60's and only became a university thirteen years ago. Many of its programs (especially the doctorates) are probably only a few years old. It's doubtless pretty obscure, even at home in the Philippines.
Hungry Ghost

Next

Return to Distance Learning