UTIU - graduate degree for under $6000

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

UTIU - graduate degree for under $6000

Postby denver » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:53 pm

UTIU offers an interesting collection of graduate distance programs from law to journalism at 2000-4000 Euros. However, I am unsure of their accreditation – they appear to be supported by Italy/European Community funding.

http://www.uninettunouniversity.net/por ... aster.aspx
denver

Re: UTIU - graduate degree for under $6000

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:37 pm

They appear to be unaccredited.

Their membership in the association shows to me that other accredited universities are members and it tries to associate it self with them as a network.
But they don't grant other universities degrees.

Its possible that there is a level of transferability of credit to other universities but its unclear to me.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Jimmy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:31 pm

There are away too many reasonably priced schools offering doctoral work to even consider this school.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Re: they teach in a "second life" Forum!

Postby johann » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Are we supposed to treat a school seriously that uses the game "Second Life" as a teaching platform?

Here's a quote:
"In the virtual classroom of Second Life on the UNINETTUNO Island of Knowledge the students and the professors/tutors teach and learn in a collaborative and cooperative way; they build and share knowledge with people belonging to different political, cultural and religious settings, they dialogue, cultural differences are confronted, socialization processes are implemented as well as the creation of new knowledge."

Island of Knowledge! Gimme a break. If I'm gonna play this game, I'll make sure my avatar has more degrees than any 6Dr. Prof. Sir. Millmeister out there!

Yeah -- I know there are good (free) lectures to be had on YouTube. Got lots of 'em. But $6,000 for this -- what's next? Convocation on Twitter? Ph.D. in World of Warcraft? Whatever happened to Moodle?

Johann
johann

Re: Another thing:

Postby johann » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Another thing. These unaccredited, self-admitted gamers are teaching a grad program in Mental Health Assessment and Counselling. Even though UTIU's degrees in this field should not be credible to any professional association - - I still view them as having extremely dangerous potential and I think UTIU should be made to stop teaching/granting them.

They could result in as much harm - or almost as much - as unaccredited medical degrees.

Johann
johann

Postby denver » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Second Life is an effective platform for education – even the Harvard Extension School has used it for credit classes. The problem is the learning curve, Blackboard, Moodle, Angel etc. share a common DNA with outlook express – much easier and more familiar than an avatar. I have taught courses in all three of the latter, and attended a course in Second Life. I found I preferred Second Life once I got over some of my classmates’ having tails and one being a ball of light. The generation that is playing World of Warcraft now is much more comfortable with avatars and I predict in five years an avatar based platform will probably dominate online learning.

I have looked at the UTIU site again and still cannot determine if they are accredited or not. Some other sites on the web indicate the school is accredited – but I am unsure if they are a portal to other schools or a degree granting institution for all programs listed. Some programs are listed as low as 2000 euros, about $3000, but I am not sure if this an open, or EU citizen rate.
denver

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:43 pm

I personally don't care for Second Life, but recognize that a number of legitimate institutions use it as a learning environment, like these. It's a VR-ish environment, not a game, as such.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Get off my lawn!

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:45 pm

johann wrote:what's next? Convocation on Twitter? Ph.D. in World of Warcraft? Whatever happened to Moodle?

You realize that this is what people one generation behind us say about online learning in general, right? :)
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby johann » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:01 pm

Point taken, Steve.

I just have this aversion and prejudice against all video-games and most things that look like 'em. That started 30-odd years ago, with a friend who liked to put quarters into arcade machines on Friday nights. I went along once. Now, apartment-neighbours' game-boxes mess up my rabbit-ears TV. :)

Probably -- as my grandkids will attest - it's at least partly because I'm no danged good at them - though I can readily accomplish many other things done on a computer, including music, digital photo-processing and some grunt-level programming. If these game - or game-like platforms can be used for educational purposes -- I should shut up about it and get with the program.

I still don't like the idea of unaccred. schools teaching mental health-oriented programs -on ANY platform. Too much like unaccred. medical school. Danger, Will Robinson - it does not compute. (Lost in Space - 1970s.)
Johann
johann

Re: Uh -- looks like a retraction may be in order.

Postby johann » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi again --

On closer examination, I may be wrong on two counts. I hope so....

This WIKI lists the school as an accredited distance University in Italy. If that's correct -- and with WIKI I never know, then my apologies for assuming otherwise. Sorry about lack of knowledge on the extensive University VR environments, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_un ... s_in_Italy

Johann
johann

Return to Distance Learning