DTMSI

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

DTMSI

Postby Zany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 am

Hi

Has anyone heard of DTMSI and Potgieter Training Consultants run by a Prof Dr. Johan Potgieter?

As well as UNEM which is Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica?

Thank you

Kind Regards,
Zany

Re: DTMSI

Postby levicoff » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:53 am

Yes. We have. :roll:
levicoff

Postby Zany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Sorry stupid question

What do you think of that institution?
Zany

Postby johann » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Zany -

If you were to use the search-gadget on this board, you would find 74 references to Universidad Empresarial and 12 to Potgieter. Full name, Johan Potgieter only gets you 6.

Since you didn't - I will summarize for you:

Universidad Empresarial has been known in the past to award all kinds of degrees -- doctorates etc. (to foreigners only) that it had no authority to confer. Its degree-granting permission in its own country is limited to THREE specific degrees in business and accounting, as I remember - none higher than a master's. It does not have the degree-granting authority of the National Universities in Costa Rica. It is a member of CONESUP but not SINAES. The improper awarding of degrees appeared to be solely a money-grubbing exercise.

Dr. Johan Potgieter has been reported in these pages to be associated with quite a few dubious schools -- and some that I don't think are good enough to be called dubious. Can't recall his ever being associated with a GOOD school. Use the search-gadget and you will see the schools he has been involved with. One of our members who could really turn a phrase (sadly, he is now deceased) referred to Dr. P. as a "serial milliner." Apt description as I see it.

Johann (not Potgieter)
johann

Postby johann » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:29 pm

I just looked at the DTMSI page today - and found references to some personalities and schools that are well-known to these pages - and NOT in a good way.

The DTMSI US representative - Dr. Henry Wayne Pace, of Hamilton Ohio - was previously Chancellor of a woof-school called "Queen's University of Brighton." According to its web-page, DTMSI still maintains a link with a so-called credential evaluation firm (unrecognized) called CUFCE - "California University Foreign Credential Evaluators". These guys print up supposed "equivalencies" to American degrees on their self-invented "California University" degree-looking papers. These papers are good for bupkis.

In the past, both DTMSI and Dr. Potgieter have been linked to the un-stellar "St. Clement's University." The present DTMSI U.S. representative, Dr. Pace, has been linked in this forum not only to the aforementioned QUB "ToxiCollege" but also to "The International University" (Grandview MO). This school has been (aptly) referred to as "The Beast of Grandview" by at least one expert. TIU will probably go on forever, as Missouri has (unfortunately) "grandfathered" this long-term unaccredited school, protecting it from legislation that would otherwise have abolished it.

Here's an old thread, still sticky with the details: http://forums.degreediscussion.com/view ... 94&p=30046

Johann (again, not Potgieter)
johann

Postby Zany » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 am

Hi Johann

Thanx for all the info. What I have done is send the exact same email he sent to me, stating that his qualifications are SAQA approved to SAQA.

They have attempted to contact him.

We will see the outcome.

Thank you again

Kind Regards,
Zany

Postby johann » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Zany:

From your posts in another thread I believe you are looking for a distance degree program. It doesn't seem that the Potgieterskool DTMSI (ja, it's really spelled 'skool' in Afrikaans) offers degree programs of its own, but I'd bet Dr. P. would instantly offer to hook you up with some other school, probably run by him or his buddies. Don't. "Soek nog 'n universiteit" - look elsewhere.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Zany:

I believe you said (elsewhere) you were looking for a distance-learning Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering. Here's a good possibility:

http://distance.und.edu/degree/?id=mechengbs

Engineering disciplines include lab-based courses, which can't readily be done/supervised by distance. However, there are ABET-accredited programs (like this one) that offer as many of the courses as possible by distance.

Then again -- if you happen to be located in South Africa (I'm not sure - you never said) then go to UNISA or another school close to home. Good - and far less expensive than elsewhere.

Johann
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:44 pm

I used to have the most awful rash on my upper arm until I discovered DTMSI...now I just rub a few drops on the skin and my pain is relieved! :mrgreen:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Return to Distance Learning