LL.M. diploma showed up

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

LL.M. diploma showed up

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:41 am

Hard to believe it's really done. I'm going to put it up at work as a reminder that I don't HAVE to stay in my current job. A reminder, that is, to myself AND my bosses... :wink:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: LL.M. diploma showed up

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:53 am

Again I'm happy for you.

I wander if after a wile you will feel a void and get in to another DL program.

I felt something missing when I wasn't studying.

Congratulations.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:38 am

No, I don't think another degree is in the cards, D/L or otherwise. There is no D/L doctorate in tax law that isn't either unaccredited or hideously expensive.

I will continue my tax education, though, through continuing ed. Have to; nothing changes faster than tax law and I need to earn a certain number of credits every year to maintain my enrolled agent license. It's easy and cheap to do online. Wish continuing LEGAL education was so sensible.

The one project I might undertake would be the CPA exam but that would cost a chunk of change and I a) don't live in California, whose exam I'd have to take though I could take it here through Prometric; and b) really don't want to be a CPA.

The other thing I've toyed with would be to go through the process of "validating" my J.D. in Canada. Yabbut why?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:17 pm

nosborne48 wrote:The other thing I've toyed with would be to go through the process of "validating" my J.D. in Canada. Yabbut why?

Maybe there could be a reason, Nosborne. Some say there is a surplus of lawyers in Canada and others say there are not enough. Depends where you're thinking of practising - city or boondocks. Here's an article: http://www.slaw.ca/2009/02/02/not-enough-lawyers/

...and a couple of stats from the same place:

“Japan has roughly 22,000 lawyers — one for every 5,790 people, compared with one for every 268 in the United States.”

MacLeans (Canada) says: “Here, there’s about one lawyer or notary for every 421 people. In the U.S., it’s one lawyer for every 265 people.”

I've lived here in Canada for 59 of my 68 years and it sure can be a great place to live, working or retired. For you, the winters could take some getting used to. But don't worry, houses here are built for them - you should be able to avoid the frozen-plumbing nightmares you wrote of a while ago! :D

Regards,

Johann
johann

Return to Distance Learning