Brand New Accredited Online Ph.D. in Leadership Studies

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Brand New Accredited Online Ph.D. in Leadership Studies

Postby BDavis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:27 pm

This is a brand new program offered by Johnson University (formerly Johnson Bible College). It is obviously limited (as I guess all Ph.D. programs are), but looks interesting:
http://www.johnsonu.edu/doctoral-degree.html
BDavis

Re: Brand New Accredited Online Ph.D. in Leadership Studies

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Interesting. Johnson itself has regional accreditation but only through the masters degree. The other sponsoring schools seems to be "landing" their accreditation to Johnson for this degree. Well, doubtless SACS has aready blessed the arrangement.

What is the Restoration Movement?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Brandon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:36 pm

nosborne48 wrote:What is the Restoration Movement?

The Restoration Movement (also known as the American Restoration Movement or the Stone-Campbell Movement) is a Christian movement that began on the American frontier during the Second Great Awakening of the early 19th century. The movement sought to restore the church and "the unification of all Christians in a single body patterned after the church of the New Testament."[1]:54 They do not consider themselves to be Protestants.[2][3][4]:213

The Restoration Movement developed from several independent efforts to return to apostolic Christianity, but two groups, which independently developed similar approaches to the Christian faith, were particularly important to the development of the movement.[5]:27-32 The first, led by Barton W. Stone, began at Cane Ridge, Kentucky and called themselves simply "Christians". The second began in western Pennsylvania and Virginia (now West Virginia) and was led by Thomas Campbell and his son, Alexander Campbell; they used the name "Disciples of Christ". Both groups sought to restore the whole Christian church on the pattern set forth in the New Testament, and both believed that creeds kept Christianity divided. In 1832 they joined in fellowship with a handshake.

Among other things, they were united in the belief that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; that Christians should celebrate the Lord's Supper on the first day of each week; and that baptism of adult believers by immersion in water is a necessary condition for salvation. Because the founders wanted to abandon all denominational labels, they used the biblical names for the followers of Jesus.[6]:27 Both groups promoted a return to the purposes of the 1st-century churches as described in the New Testament. One historian of the movement has argued that it was primarily a unity movement, with the restoration motif playing a subordinate role.[7]:8

The Restoration Movement has since divided into multiple separate groups. There are three main branches in the U.S.: the Churches of Christ, the Independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ, and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Some see divisions in the movement as the result of the tension between the goals of restoration and ecumenism, with the Churches of Christ and Independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ resolving the tension by stressing restoration, while the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) resolved the tension by stressing ecumenism.[7]:383 A number of groups outside the U.S. also have historical associations with this movement, such as the Evangelical Christian Church in Canada, and the Churches of Christ in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_movement
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby Tark » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Johnson itself has regional accreditation but only through the masters degree ... doubtless SACS has aready blessed the arrangement.

SACS approved a change to Johnson University's accreditation level in June, from Level III (which means the highest degree offered is a Master's) to Level V (which means that "3 or fewer" Doctoral degrees are offered). JU's current Level V accreditation status is shown here.
Tark

Postby denver » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:27 am

What is the total cost of the program?
denver

Postby denver » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:46 am

I contacted the school, they sent me the following:

$400 per credit hour
$200 student fee (annual)
Cost of Books varies by course – for estimating purposes, calculate hardcopy books at $100 per course.
denver

Postby nosborne48 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:46 pm

So total tuition and fees will run around $25,000? Ouch.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Jared » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:34 pm

I have always had interest in an online phd in leadership studies. World leaders and even leaders of companies have always fascinated me. What makes them able to lead so many people. What allows them to command a crowd in front of them. It is quite the interesting field. I hope to run a business one day and eventually turn it into a franchise. There isn't much doubt in my mind that a PhD in leadership would help me get there.
Jared

Return to Distance Learning