accelerated schedule MA English

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

accelerated schedule MA English

Postby kavade » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:31 pm

I've been looking for a grad school with an 8 week schedule - or thereabouts - for humanities classes, linguistics or literature primarily. My hand is dropping off from all the clicking I've been doing on this hunt. Do folks out there have any info?
kavade

Re: accelerated schedule MA English

Postby Jack » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Look at National University, Bowling Green, Centenary and Mercy. I don't know about scheduling details.
Jack

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 am

Wow, you mean an 8 week term? So how quickly would you expect to finish the MA?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby kavade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:07 am

I wouldn't want to take more than two classes in a term that short. I just did an 8 week at Excelsior with one class, and I had spare time, so I figure two will be stretching it but probably okay. But I need lit classes or
linguistics. A 33 unit MA, two classes every 8 weeks - well, I'm a lit person ...can't do the math!! :D
kavade

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:36 am

You are still talking about taking a full-time year then. I don't know if doing an online Master of Arts in a year is practical. Graduate level work tends to be more time-consuming than undergrad work. It took me about 2 years and nine months to complete a Master of Laws and that needed only 24 semester hours and no thesis, capstone project or comprehensive exam. Your MA will likely run 36 semester hours and will have one of those "exit requirements".

Frankly, if the degree you want is available on-campus where you live, that might be the fastest way to get there.

Did you look at American Public University? http://www.apu.apus.edu Not exactly what you want, Humanities instead of Lit, but the price is definitely right at about $12,000 and it's regionally accredited.

If you can do with DETC instead of R/A there's Harrison Middleton U. http://www.hmu.edu They might be a little more flexible (or maybe not) and their MA runs $9,000.

Good luck!
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby kavade » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll look into APU.
kavade

Return to Distance Learning