Looking for a distance learning teacher cert.

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Looking for a distance learning teacher cert.

Postby Landlordsteve » Tue May 17, 2011 11:01 am

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is this legit: http://www.abcte.org/teach

Thanks.
Steve
Landlordsteve

Re: Looking for a distance learning teacher cert.

Postby Eric » Tue May 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Well I'm not familiar with your ABCTE certification program but in most states it allows you to teach in charter or private schools. As they say some states it can go further. You need to contact the state of FLorida for example to validate the statement :

ABCTE can help you change careers and become a teacher in Florida. In June 2004, the Florida State Board of Education approved ABCTE as a route to full teacher licensure. The Florida State Department of Education fully recognizes ABCTE certification for all school districts and charter schools in the state.
---------------------------
The real teaching credential can be earned on line from:
Western Governors University

http://www.wgu.edu/education/teacher_certification

Now keep in mind that there are supervisory hours required for the credential. You have to teach and be observed etc.

Complete a Term of In-Classroom Student Teaching (Demonstration Teaching).
Demonstration Teaching (or student teaching) is a critical component of any teaching degree program. This in-classroom experience is invaluable in helping to integrate the academic knowledge and teaching skills you’ve developed to this point into a practical application that will prepare you to tackle the challenges of your own classroom effectively and with confidence.

More info here:

http://www.wgu.edu/education/teaching_license
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Mac Ron » Wed May 18, 2011 7:42 am

ABCTE offers an online teaching certification program. The rigorous program gives candidates the flexibility to prepare for exams in their subject area and on professional teaching knowledge on their own time. ABCTE includes over 250 hours of content and pedagogy to ensure teachers are ready to help increase student achievement. With ABCTE, you do it when you have time at home on your computer.
Mac Ron

Postby Eric » Wed May 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Mac Ron wrote:ABCTE offers an online teaching certification program. The rigorous program gives candidates the flexibility to prepare for exams in their subject area and on professional teaching knowledge on their own time. ABCTE includes over 250 hours of content and pedagogy to ensure teachers are ready to help increase student achievement. With ABCTE, you do it when you have time at home on your computer.

The Certification program is not the same as teaching credential required by many states to teach in public school districts.
To teach in Private school teaching certification can be a plus.
As ABCTE states some states recognize their certification for teaching in school districts.

I know how teaching credential is earned as my wife at one point in her career earned one via National University, This certification is not the same but in some states I can see it more valuable also the pay in many private high schools is lower then school districts.
I know persons with degrees from NA universities in business who teach in private schools and don't really required to have any kind of certification. But ABCTE can be a plus, I like what I read about their training and the flexibility they offer.

If I one is in the State that thir certification allows ten to teach in public schools then why not.
ABCTE is a state approved route to full teacher certification in Florida, Idaho, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Nevada, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee & Utah.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Return to Distance Learning