SATS GRADUATES 24

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

SATS GRADUATES 24

Postby Bill » Wed May 04, 2011 3:37 pm

In April the South African Theological Seminary (SATS) graduated 20 with the MTh (master of Theology) and four with the PhD. The PhD is by research only, but the MTh can be by course work or research. Both are wholly by distance education and very reasonably priced. One may enter the MTh with an undergrad degree in a non religious area if one completes three bridging courses. SATS is a private, Evangelical school with full accreditation. I've been on the SATS faculty for about four years.
Bill Grover
Faculty, http://www.satsonline.org
BA,(Bible),ThB -1966, SCTS
MA (Religion)- 1968, PL Naz Uni
Tea Creds USD (Lang Arts)-1969/OSU (Spec Ed)1978
MDiv (Equiv)-1992 and ThM (Biblical Studies)-1994, Western Seminary
D.Th. (Theology)-2005 Unizul
Bill

Re: SATS GRADUATES 24

Postby some gobbledygook » Wed May 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Excellent news from a very solid institution. Were you the research supervisor for any of this year's graduates, Bill?
some gobbledygook

Postby Bill » Wed May 04, 2011 6:46 pm

some gobbledygook wrote:Excellent news from a very solid institution. Were you the research supervisor for any of this year's graduates, Bill?

No. One of mine graduated last year. Presently I'm supervising one MTh and Three PhDs theses and about 13 grad courses.
Bill Grover
Bill

Postby lukeness » Wed May 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Dr Bill,

Do you know offhand whether SATS degrees are accepted by the NHK (Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk) church in SA?
lukeness

Postby Bill » Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 pm

lukeness wrote:Dr Bill,

Do you know offhand whether SATS degrees are accepted by the NHK (Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk) church in SA?

_

I understand SATS to have the same degree of accreditation as Unizul or Unisa (public unis, of course, are accredited in more areas). I think it always best to question those to whom you wish to transfer credits or by whom you wish to have qualifications recognized. I would not know if the NHK requires training in an NHK school or whether certain courses are required by the NHK. I think it best to ask the NHK. If you look at the academic qualifications of SATS Post Grad supervisors you will see their highest credentials, generally doctorates, are from a variety of accredited institutions. The school is interdenominational. It posts its creed on its site. Because of my experience with SATS of writing curricula, evaluating student papers, and supervising theses, I consider the SATS rigor equal to any of my graduate experiences in four or five USA, RA schools and Unizul's DTh too. You may wish to email our Dean of the grad school, Prof Kunhiyop: Sam@sats.edu.za
Bill Grover
Bill

Postby kdl » Thu May 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Dr. Bill,

I have been reviewing the doctoral programs at SATS or UNISA. Are there any unique characteristics that would distinguish SATS from UNISA? Also, I have several research interests, including narrative theology, theological ethics, mass and new media effects, and christian formation.
kdl

Postby lukeness » Thu May 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Thank you, much appreciated.
lukeness

Postby Bill » Fri May 06, 2011 3:23 am

kdl wrote:Dr. Bill,

I have been reviewing the doctoral programs at SATS or UNISA. Are there any unique characteristics that would distinguish SATS from UNISA? Also, I have several research interests, including narrative theology, theological ethics, mass and new media effects, and christian formation.

-------------

I don't feel competent to discuss Unisa.

I will say that SATS is distinctly Evangelical, very friendly and responsive, provides an excellent research course as a required, preliminary part of the PhD program, fits supervisor to student with care, requires an intensive regimen in preparing a research proposal which may take up to a year, and includes profs both from other schools and from SATS in the evaluative process of the completed thesis. The PhD may be earned in either a theological/Biblical area or a pastoral/praxis area.
Bill Grover
Bill

Postby kdl » Fri May 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Bill wrote:
kdl wrote:

I will say that SATS is distinctly Evangelical, very friendly and responsive, provides an excellent research course as a required, preliminary part of the PhD program, fits supervisor to student with care, requires an intensive regimen in preparing a research proposal which may take up to a year, and includes profs both from other schools and from SATS in the evaluative process of the completed thesis. The PhD may be earned in either a theological/Biblical area or a pastoral/praxis area.

Dr. Bill,

Your response was very helpful. I have one additional question. Does SATS require applicants to craft a statement of research interests for admissions purposes?
kdl

Postby Bill » Fri May 06, 2011 11:24 pm

kdl wrote:
Bill wrote:
kdl wrote:

Dr. Bill,

Your response was very helpful. I have one additional question. Does SATS require applicants to craft a statement of research interests for admissions purposes?

------------------

I try to get my students to call me "Bill." Some will not--probably because I'm so old!

As I understand it, acceptance is mainly based on an accredited masters in a suitable discipline. SATS used to require a previously done thesis, but now a course in Grad Research & Writing is required and provided by SATS. Enrollment precedes the composition of a research proposal. But your intended area of research must be revealed to SATS so that a proper supervisor can be assigned. A research proposal of about 12 carefully written pages plus front and end material then is done with a supervisor's interaction. Even after the RP, the supervisor must approve each chapter. While the length of the RP is only 12 pages or so, it takes months to do as a preliminary research of the literature must be done and one must entirely satisfy one's supervisor on all required sections of the RP(which sections the student learns in the research course) before the supervisor will submit the proposal to the grad committee for its approval. It is not uncommon for the RP process to take months to complete. I have a doctoral student, a Korean, who trains native missionaries in Africa who is writing on Hauerwas' understanding of Barth's doctrine of Sanctification. The student is incredibly learned in his chosen topic, but he worked on his RP for at least six months ; the grad committe even yet wants to approve his 2nd chapter. I have another PhD student who is an administrator in an Ethiopian seminary and is researching Ethiopian Christology. My third PhD student is just beginning his research of the literature on the soteriology of an American Baptist denomination. BTW, one of the four PhD grads this year is 90 years old!!
Bill Grover
Bill

Postby kdl » Sat May 07, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks again Bill. Your responses have been more than helpful!
kdl

Return to Distance Learning