ONLINE EDS OR ED.D

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Re: ONLINE EDS OR ED.D

Postby historyteacher » Mon May 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Anthony Pina wrote:I did some contract work for ACE a little while back (guest video lectures for ET 508 Educational Technology Systems Management).

I stated to do the Ed tech degree. I am a tech coordinator at my school now. I don't know if I have to take that class or not. I am sure that people still probably see you on the lectures. :D
historyteacher

Postby nosborne48 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:40 pm

That business about just about having to have an Alabama degree to get certified...the New Mexico Board of Bar Examiners has long opposed reciprocity for lawyer licensing. You have to take our Bar exam regardless of your education, experience or out-of-state license. That's generally legal on its face.

However, some years ago at the annual Bar convention I actually HEARD a member of that board state to all assembled that, if we adopted a reciprocity rule, we would be inundated by Texan lawyers. In short, the restriction is for the express purpose of restraining trade and protecting our market. That's generally illegal because the motive is to keep the price of legal services artificially high.

The Alabama teacher certificate business smells about as bad. It's the general citizenry who suffers, of course, not the profession. :evil:

I wish someone would sue.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby historyteacher » Mon May 09, 2011 11:29 pm

Well it definately isn't to keep out of state teachers from coming in to take Alabama teaching jobs. Just last month, they passed another law aimed at teachers that requires state employees to pay more on retirement. This means a pay cut. This is the second such move by our legislature and state board to take money away from teachers.

Basically, I see it like this, the rule is to create a monopoly for Alabama colleges. The only way that a person can get around this rule is if they have taught or have been a principal for a number of years outside the state. So, basically, anyone that is in state who gets a degree from out of state can get a raise, but will probably have to go to an Alabama school to get certified. That is, if you want to be certified. In my case, I really do not care right now. I do not mind teaching. I mainly want to get rid of some of my extra duties, like coaching. By getting a higher degree, I can afford to do that.

Still, if our state continues with its unrealistic expectations on standardized tests and ridiculous standards for teachers to live up to, Dr. Levicoff may have the right idea. Truck driving might be way less stressful. :lol:
historyteacher

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 am

I wouldn't speak for Dr. Levicoff but from what I've seen, truck driving is a VERY stressful occupation. Maybe not as bad as being a railroad engineer (train driver, I mean, not the guy/gal with the blueprints) but I wouldn't bet on it.

Anyway. A monopoly for the benefit of the Alabama colleges? I have no trouble believing that, either.

My mother was a high school teacher. Teaching even then, in the State of Washington, was hard, poorly paid work. It really is a calling I think else why would anyone put up with it?
nosborne48

Postby levicoff » Tue May 10, 2011 4:47 am

nosborne48 wrote:I wouldn't speak for Dr. Levicoff but from what I've seen, truck driving is a VERY stressful occupation. Maybe not as bad as being a railroad engineer (train driver, I mean, not the guy/gal with the blueprints) but I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, there's trucking, and there's trucking. (The terms are interchangable.) Perhaps it is stressful for flatbed or tanker drivers (who have to do real work, or reefer (refrigerated trailer) drivers (who have to do a lot of sitting around and waiting, and sometimes real work), or less-than-truckload/city/delivery drivers (who have to do their own loading and unloading), but in the particular type of trucking I do (which is very specialized), it's a piece of cake. I never handle freight, I merely open the trailer doors, dock the truck, and close the trailer doors.

In fact, one could say that rather than being a trucker, I'm more of a paid professional tourist. (I often refer to what I drive as a "camper with a big-ass box on the back of it.") Granted, I never know where I'm going until I'm on the way, but that's half the fun. It's a constant vacation, and I manage to feed my fetish for live theatre at least once a week. (Last week was South Pacific near Philadelphia, yesterday was a performance of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in Columbus. After hanging out in Kentucky on Friday morning, I actually started the weekend in Indianapolis, where Chicago and The King and I were playing, but I had previously seen both on stage and wanted to take in Cuckoo, which I had never seen live.)

As for me, I could never be a railroad engineer - your destinations are controlled by a set of railroad tracks, so you can't veer off and play tourist. I have a lot more fun not knowing whether I'll be on the east coast, in the midwest, New England, or the South at this time next week. I just go with the flow, knowing I'll find something cool to do... wherever. :mrgreen:
levicoff

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Yabbut...what about all those ordinary drivers who seem intent on getting hit by you?
nosborne48

Postby historyteacher » Tue May 10, 2011 1:23 pm

I meant no disrespect about trucking. I know it can be stressful. My dad, uncle and father in law all drove trucks. I only said that, because many of the truckers I have known or do know liked doing it. I have a few friends who see it like Dr. L. said, they are a professional tourist. Of course, I know others who drive log trucks, and that can be a different story, since they only drive the same route every day.
historyteacher

Postby nosborne48 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Having grown up in the Pacific Northwest, I can assure you that logging truck drivers are selected for being diabolical. I don't know offhand whether they cast a shadow at noon but I doubt it. :twisted:
nosborne48

Postby historyteacher » Wed May 11, 2011 3:06 pm

We have a few that are similar down here as well. :mrgreen:
historyteacher

Previous

Return to Distance Learning