ONLINE EDS OR ED.D

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

ONLINE EDS OR ED.D

Postby historyteacher » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello,

I am currently enrolled at the American College of Education for my masters in educational leadership. I learned about distance learning by reading this forum from time to time. I just have never joined.

My question is, what is the best priced Ed.S. or Ed.D. program from a regionally accredited school? Time is also a consideration. It has to be regionally accredited, because the Alabama Board of Education will not grant a pay raise or certification for one that is nationally accredited.

Also, is there an Ed.D. program that does not require a dissertation?

I have looked at Walden, but they seem a bit high, as do some of the others I have looked at.

Could you please give me some help on this? Thank
historyteacher

Re: ONLINE EDS OR ED.D

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:49 pm

historyteacher wrote:Hello,

I am currently enrolled at the American College of Education for my masters in educational leadership. I learned about distance learning by reading this forum from time to time. I just have never joined.

My question is, what is the best priced Ed.S. or Ed.D. program from a regionally accredited school? Time is also a consideration. It has to be regionally accredited, because the Alabama Board of Education will not grant a pay raise or certification for one that is nationally accredited.

Welcome!

Geteducated.com offers a list currently of 94 options ranked entirely by price; they have other lists for other fields and levels. All are regionally accredited.

historyteacher wrote:Also, is there an Ed.D. program that does not require a dissertation?

Any legitimate Ed.D. will require, if not a dissertation, something very much in that vein. It might be more applied. Could be a "major research paper," "Project Demonstrating Excellence," etc.
Jonathan Whatley

Postby historyteacher » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:35 pm

I have decent skills on technical writing, but I really wonder if I could write a dissertation. That may be a stretch for me.

Thanks for the info and the welcome.
historyteacher

Postby Anthony Pina » Sun May 01, 2011 8:23 pm

historyteacher wrote:I have decent skills on technical writing, but I really wonder if I could write a dissertation. That may be a stretch for me.

Thanks for the info and the welcome.

A dissertation is a lot of commitment or time and effort to formulate, design, conduct, analyze and write up a major original research study. If you are not interested in doing a dissertation, then an Ed.S. may be your best route. Some are coursework-only programs.
Anthony Piña, Ed.D.
Dean of Online Studies
Anthony Pina

Postby historyteacher » Tue May 03, 2011 12:45 am

I am a high school history teacher, assistant football coach and technology coordinator for my school. Along with that, I am married, have a five year old daughter and am an officer in the Masonic Lodge here. Yeah, time and money are issues for sure.

I am looking more for a program that is course work related. I have never heard of an Ed.D. or Ph.D. that was offered without some form of a dissertation. Right now, I am just looking at my options. It took me 13 years to decide to go back for my masters. My current program has made me feel better about my own ability though. I really had my questions about distance learning, since I graduated from a traditional school, but I have to say I have really learned a great deal with my program I am working on now.

One program that I have found that really caught my eye is with Valdosta State. It is an Ed.S. in Ed. Technology. I started to get my masters in Ed. Technology, but went with leadership. Right now, I am looking at the principal/supervisory route, but tech would be a good area to add. I have been a tech coordinator for over 10 years at different schools. The thing about this degree is, it costs a little under 7 k. I haven't seen anything even close to that price. Then, I could apply as a county tech coordinator. I also could possibly move up to a college level for teaching. That would be a huge plus to me.
historyteacher

Postby Mac Ron » Thu May 05, 2011 7:41 am

According to me Benedictine University is suitable for you. Because Benedictine University's Doctor of Education in Higher Education and Organizational Change (Ed.D) program is intended for practicing professionals who wish to accelerate their career paths or who seek to join the higher education community as university, college or community college administrators. Benedictine's Ed.D in Higher Education and Organizational Change is specifically geared for those working in or transition into an administrative or leadership role in a past-secondary educational institution.
Mac Ron

Postby historyteacher » Thu May 05, 2011 5:35 pm

I will look into that. Thanks
historyteacher

Postby Anthony Pina » Fri May 06, 2011 2:48 am

Mac Ron wrote:According to me Benedictine University is suitable for you. Because Benedictine University's Doctor of Education in Higher Education and Organizational Change (Ed.D) program is intended for practicing professionals who wish to accelerate their career paths or who seek to join the higher education community as university, college or community college administrators. Benedictine's Ed.D in Higher Education and Organizational Change is specifically geared for those working in or transition into an administrative or leadership role in a past-secondary educational institution.

Benedictine's Ed.D. requires a dissertation.
Anthony Piña, Ed.D.
Dean of Online Studies
Anthony Pina

Postby historyteacher » Fri May 06, 2011 5:51 pm

I have looked at some schools, but it seems like Valdosta State may be the winner here. $7,000 for an Ed.S. is unreal.

I know of a couple of masters programs similar to mine at the American College of Education. They cost similar anyway. Arkansas State and Lamar are both similar in cost to ACE. In this case, I don't see any school in the same cost range as Valdosta.
historyteacher

Postby Anthony Pina » Fri May 06, 2011 10:17 pm

ACE seems to be pretty inexpensive.
Anthony Piña, Ed.D.
Dean of Online Studies
Anthony Pina

Postby historyteacher » Sun May 08, 2011 12:55 am

It is. For a long time, I could not afford to go back. I was accepted at the school where I got my undergrad for the masters program, but then found out my wife was pregnant with out daughter. I then waited and couldn't afford it. The program they offer is actually good. I have learned a great deal so far.

From my understanding, Arkansas State is cheaper, but requires a GRE score. I took the MAT instead. That was a few years earlier. ACE just seemed to fit for me better.

In all, it's like $6,900 for a masters. Since I started, that fee went up some. They added a $20 per class tech fee. Still, is a great deal.
historyteacher

Postby Anthony Pina » Sun May 08, 2011 3:51 am

I did some contract work for ACE a little while back (guest video lectures for ET 508 Educational Technology Systems Management).
Anthony Piña, Ed.D.
Dean of Online Studies
Anthony Pina

Postby nosborne48 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:59 pm

A nationally accredited program won't do?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby levicoff » Sun May 08, 2011 5:16 pm

nosborne48 wrote:A nationally accredited program won't do?

Not for many public schools districts, whose schools are generally accredited by the secondary schools division of their regional accreditor. Public schools tend to be RA or the highway (gee, just like l'il ol' moi). :mrgreen:
levicoff

Postby historyteacher » Mon May 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Dr. Levicoff is right. Here in Alabama, it has to be regionally accredited. The funny thing is, that is only for a raise. To actually be certified, it almost has to be from an Alabama college. So, in other words, Alabama thinks that a school like Alabama State is better than Harvard. Funny huh?
historyteacher

Next

Return to Distance Learning