One more semester at Taft? Maaaaybeee.

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

One more semester at Taft? Maaaaybeee.

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Taft University offers a one-year, single semester 12 credit hour undergraduate certificate in accounting. The program is specifically designed to give the student the background to pass the CPA exam. Total tuition is $2,700 which compares favorably with the standard CPA review courses and (interestingly) is noticably cheaper than taking the equivalent courses here at NMSU.

I don't know, though...I put about $6,000 net after taxes into my LL.M., a VERY reasonable investment, and in return I got training that I will need for my retirement tax practice. I don't know if I'd be able to claim a tax deduction for this certificate so I'd probably end up spending about $3,200 to pass the California CPA exam but not qualify for the N.Mex. exam. I don't need to be a CPA anyway and the tax representation and estate planning practice I have in mind does not require me to have a formal background in accounting.

There's no hurry. But it couldn't hurt.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: One more semester at Taft? Maaaaybeee.

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 am

How about this?
Jonathan Whatley

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 pm

I like it but I see that the applicant has to have completed 6 s.h. in intermediate accounting before enrolling. That's the first two years of an accounting degree because those classes have prerequisites.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:41 am

They do that too! You could take their accounting courses with or without going for the certificate.
Jonathan Whatley

Return to Distance Learning