Do R/A schools recognize degrees from N/A schools?

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Do R/A schools recognize degrees from N/A schools?

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm

I was asked recently by a graduate of a California Bar accredited J.D. program whether I thought that he could gain admission to the LL.M. program of an ABA approved law school, also in California. I replied that I could not imagine that there would be any problem so long as the applicant had passed the California Bar exam and gotten admitted. The fellow later told me that I was right; the school considered his app once he was admitted to the Bar but would not consider it until then.

This got me to thinking...there has been considerable scholarly research on the transferability of credits from nationally accredited programs into regionally accredited programs and the answer seems to be "not so good". There has also been research regarding the acceptability of degrees earned at nationally accredited schools for employment where the answer seems to be "pretty good". But what about the situation where a holder of an undergrad degree from a nationally accredited institution applies to a regionally accredited institution's graduate school? Does anyone know?

I based my original advice to the young lawyer on two factors: 1) Whatever concerns the ABA school might have about the quality of his J.D. education would be largely mitigated by his passing the bar; and 2) graduate programs in law are major cash cows for the sponsoring university. Why WOULD they turn down his money, in other words. Apparently, I was right.

I myself found that I could not transfer credits from a completed DETC AAS program into an ABET accredited BSET program, a decision that still rankles. I KNEW my stuff at least as well as one of their own. But that was a good twenty years ago and professional accreditors have their own peculiar program requirements. I don't suppose they like the idea of allowing an end-run around their own requirements. Besides, that was actually an attempt to transfer credit not use the degree to qualify for another degree program.

So how about it? Does anyone know?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: Do R/A schools recognize degrees from N/A schools?

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 pm

nosborne48 wrote:there has been considerable scholarly research on the transferability of credits from nationally accredited programs into regionally accredited programs and the answer seems to be "not so good".

I'm not sure this is the case. In DETC's latest survey of graduates from the schools they accredited, four our of five said they didn't try to transfer their credits, and of those who did, three out of four were successful. I mean, three out of four is pretty good considering how much naysaying there is on forums like this about it.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Yes, but I think you'll fnd that the credits accepted have been "vetted" by ACE and found to be equivalent and that it's a pretty narrow subset.
nosborne48

Postby vinny123 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm

I know for a fact that Capella and Walden have accepted applicants with NA undergraduate degrees into their doctoral programs.

However, what I find even more significant is that a number of years ago a colleague with an undergraduate and graduate degree from highly respected RA universities was ONLY accepted on a provisional basis into a doctoral program in Psychology at Argosy University because his GPA was below 3.5! However, my colleague subsequently learned that Argosy had accepted several students with undergraduate degrees in Bible Studies and Home Economics with full admission status into the same program because they met the 3.5 GPA requirment, even though the course content of these degree programs were much easier and did not meet the rigorous entrance course requirements in Psychology (including three years of french, advanced statistics, Experimental Psychology and myriad coursework in the physical and biological sciences). My friend brought this inequity and discrepancy to the dean of the school of Psychology at the time, and he responded in a cavalier manner, that my colleague could matriculate to full status after taking several courses and obtaining a minimum of a B GPA. He declined this "offer" and went on to another online doctoral program where he completed the entire doctorate with a 4.0 GPA.
Vinny
vinny123

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 pm

Interesting post, Vinney, thank you.

I get the impression that the academy is growing more accepting of DETC degrees but it's only an impression based on anecdotes. On the other hand, I'm not sure how useful a survey would be. Applications for research-based graduate degree programs are usually considered case-by-case by the department involved regardless of the applicant's paper qualifications, or so I understand so anecdotes may be all there is to be had.

Even for my "professional" LL.M., Taft vetted me rather carefully. I actually applied twice before enrolling. All the more so, I imagine, when selecting student researchers.
nosborne48

Postby Anthony Pina » Sun May 01, 2011 12:40 am

We review all transfer credits (RA and NA) on a case-by-case basis. We have accepted credits and degrees from schools accredited by DETC, ACICS and other NA accrediting bodies. If it is U.S. DOE/CHEA recognized, we will consider it.
Anthony PiƱa, Ed.D.
Dean of Online Studies
Anthony Pina

Return to Distance Learning