Ceremony?

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Ceremony?

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 am

For the first time ever, Taft is considering an informal awards ceremony sort of thing. I wonder if I should go? I am taking my last exam tomorrow and expect to pass...what does anyone think? I have walked on several occasions. I don't think I really need another commencement.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: Ceremony?

Postby Jack » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:52 am

Go. In the end you'll feel good about it.
Jack

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:44 am

It sounds like you don't really want to go but for some reason feel like you "should". If you don't want to go, don't go. I didn't go to either of mine and don't regret it, even though one was in the same city and I wouldn't have had to travel for it.

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Jack » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:16 am

Ha! That's great. I say go, Steve says don't go. Now you're no better off than you were before asking the question. I went to both of mine and thought it was fun but I agree with Steve when he says that if you don't want to go you shouldn't feel any obligation. Just don't go
Jack

Postby nosborne48 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:11 pm

That's kind of how I feel.

Just got back from taking the last exam in El Paso. I am reasonably sure I passed so all that's left is to pay the "graduation fee".

Hooray. Free at last, free at last. It's been a long road. Distance learning may be just as effective as classroom instruction but I can tell you this; it's harder.
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:37 am

I say go.

You will for a time feel younger again and trick your body/mind. This type of situation seems to keep the doctor away longer, and some illnesses as well.
You will have another good memory event to be part of your achievement. You worked hard and some recognition is good.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:38 pm

By golly, Eric, I hadn't thought of that. :shock:
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Last Sunday afternoon I played football with my younger son and his friends from high school.
It felt great, I was for a wile a teenager again.

That is till Monday morning, now I think I need to see a chiropractor.

When I earned my degree from WC one thing was missing that was Graduation Ceremony. The diploma came in the mail just like a coin I purchased on the eBay.

This Summer I will be a guest on my older son's graduation ceremony from the Law school.

I missed all of the ceremonies when I went to college, drafted to military 2 weeks before the ceremony in one case, had a flue on another one, and WC they didn't hold such ceremony. So it would have been nice to be on one such event.
Seen my wife on 3 of these, my sons and relatives.

Been to many as a guest :-)
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby levicoff » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:31 am

nosborne48 wrote:For the first time ever, Taft is considering an informal awards ceremony sort of thing.

I think the key question is: What is an "informal awards ceremony sort of thing?"

When I was at Vermont College of Norwich University (later Vermont College of Union Institute & University, now Vermont College of Fine Arts), they also held an annual "informal awards ceremony sort of thing." IMO, it amounted to little more than a mickey-mouse ceremony designed to give the liberal arts types their existential jollies. We could also have walked the aisle at the main Norwich University commencement, but that would have been mostly with the Corps of Cadets and the civilian undergrads (none of whom we knew). I recall the pictures of the more informal ceremony, though, in which the grads were wearing some type of cute ribbons that did not look particularly academic (but, rather, like New Age party favors). I passed up on both opportunities.

By the way, I also did not walk the aisle when I earned my Edison B.A. Notwithstanding that I was already doing a graduate semester in California at that point, it occurred to me that the only time I saw, let alone met, any TESC students was the one and only time I took a few TECEP exams on a scheduled day. (I used to go on off-days when I had a conference room to myself where I could kick my feet up, light a cigarette - you could do that sort of thing in the good ol' days - and take my exams in a more leisurely milieu. The one time I did go to a scheduled exam day I remember thinking, "A-ha... So these are my fellow students." I was not impressed.

It occurred to me that, even if I had been in town when TESC held its commencement (traditionally every October, although they recently decided to add a Spring commencement), I wouldn’t have known anyone there except those that attended to watch my beaming face. Moreover, it’s not exactly like I could get together with other TESC grads and reminisce about those drunken nights after the big football games.

So, did I finally make it to my Ph.D. commencement? Nope. Out of the ten Union learners that were at my opening colloquium, only two of us graduated after the minimum two-year enrollment. Most of the other took at least three or four years (Union has since increased its minimum program length). So, perhaps except for a learner or two or three I had met at a seminar or peer day, I would again be walking the aisle with a bunch of strangers and other space cadets. Moreover, it’s not exactly like I could get together with other Union grads and reminisce about those drunken nights after the big football games.

Do I miss having never walked the aisle? Nope. The only thing I lack is a picture of me in a robe with some stripes and a fuzzy hat. And memories of all those drunken nights after the big football games.*

* I leave Norwich out of the equation because they actually do have a football team, and I would imagine that many of the cadets do get drunk after the big games. But, to my knowledge, none of the fruits, flakes, and nuts from the Vermont College side of the university were on the team. They were too busy holding mandala centering exercises on the V.C. commons at sunrise.
levicoff

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:07 am

And I already have pictures of myself in a gown with fuzzy stripes and a funny mortarboard.

J.D.s and M.D.s got the traditional black doctor's gown and hood but purple or olive tassels and mortarboards rather than gold tassels and bonnet-type thingy. The really weird costumes were reserved for the Ed.D. and Ph.D. grads. Makes sense; that crowd will likely have many occasions in the future to don their regalia. I never did again. We rented ours but now I guess you buy a use-once-throw-away plastic bag-like garment and keep your hood and tassel fo'evah. And they DO get the gold tassels. What IS the world coming to, I ask you? :shock:

Anyway. I walked with people I knew fairly well, having gone through six semesters of synthetic...hell? No, not hell. No one was shooting at me so it wasn't hell as we presently understand the term. Synthetic legal heck, then. At least, I MIGHT have pix somewhere unless the ex wife burned them. I've never troubled to look. Anyway, I DO run into my law classmates often. And my family was there en masse.

I also walked, so to speak, when I got out of Navy OCS with a single shiny gold stripe on my sleeve and a much larger chip on my 22 year old shoulder. The chip went away with much less pain than I deserved and the stripe was soon joined by others. But I knew those kids and would see them again and eventually I turned into a not entirely disgusting sort of officer I think.

Nope. Dr. L is right as usual. It's just too artificial. Besides, I don't know if I could reconcile myself to a plain black Master's gown and ridiculous mid-length hood after sampling the glories of an artifical doctor-like-ness... :roll:
nosborne48

Postby SteveFoerster » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 am

nosborne48 wrote:Besides, I don't know if I could reconcile myself to a plain black Master's gown and ridiculous mid-length hood after sampling the glories of an artifical doctor-like-ness... :roll:

You'd be entitled to wear your JDalia, though, wouldn't you?

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:35 pm

I don't think so. You wear the regalia for the degree being conferred or for the highest degree held as appropriate to the occasion. Either way, that's the LL.M. for me.

At my graduation from law school, the Dean wore a Masters gown. I noticed that at the time but I didn't understand or have enough interest to ask. I found out later that he had an LL.M.
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Well, come this May 2011 I'm flying to UK on a business trip combining with graduation ceremony for my MCGI from City and Guilds Institute. Followed by ILM Fellows dinner.
Now I need to rent the gown and other regalia.

I don't know anybody there, my wife will be with me so this is enough. Will be my first walking and have a picture wearing this funny heat.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby cbkent » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:04 pm

Go for it!

There was no law school graduation ceremony for me. I thought they might send me a disposable papier-mâché mortarboad, a crepe paper gown, and a cassette of "Pomp and Circumstance" for a DIY ceremony, but no such luck.

Even my swearing in was a bit anti-climatic. I signed a small manila card with the attorney's oath printed on it before a thoroughly bored notary public.
cbkent

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:06 am

But in the end, a nice shiny CA law license showed up in your mail and that's a pretty big deal for anyone.
nosborne48

Next

Return to Distance Learning