Online Masters from top German University – in English

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Online Masters from top German University – in English

Postby denver » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Freie Universitat Berlin is accepting applications for their two English language online graduate programs: Master of International Relations and Master of Eastern European Studies. The deadline is April 30. Both programs are entirely in English. FU Berlin is consistently ranked as one the three top universities in Germany and in the top 25 in the world. Four Nobel Laureates either teach, or have taught, at the university

I am an alumnus of FU Berlin with a MA in Eastern European Studies. It was a great program with excellent instructors (Stanford, London School of Economics and Cambridge) and the one-week residencies are designed to give you the maximum exposure to Berlin. I met with government ministers in the Reichstag, attended receptions at embassies in Berlin and was a guest at private museum tours. Berlin is surprisingly cheap for a European city and the airfare is lower cost from the U.S. than to many other EU destinations. The school assists with accommodations, I stayed in very nice, low cost university housing near the school (former U.S. Officers Club). For Cold War history fans, the school is located in the former American Sector and walking around the area near the school you can see houses, clubs and offices of major German and American figures from 1937-89.

While this program is delivered online, there are four required five-day residencies. The workload for the program is substantial. I was able to finish in two years while working fulltime; however, this is a program of an elite German university – so be prepared. Of my class of 18, only three were from the United States, so this is a true international program.

http://www.ees-online.org
denver

Re: Online Masters from top German University – in English

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Mists of time and memory...the only time I've ever set foot in Berlin was in the summer of 1972. The city is certainly a very different place now than it was then. I came and went by rail so I got a look at the "internal boundary" as well as crossing the Wall. I was just a kid of course, newly graduated from High School and speaking some German not too badly.

Living where I do now, I have occasion to cross the U.S.-Mexico border. At one crossing south of me, Santa Teresa, the border "fence" stretches seemingly forever in both directions and there's just room for a two-lane road. It's not like Berlin, cetainly not like the "internal boundary" but the sight of that massive high steel wall brought back unpleasant memories from thirty years ago. Both barriers serve the same purpose, in a way; to keep people from going where they want to go in search of a better life. And crossing either one without authorization could prove fatal.

Sigh. :(
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: Online Masters from top German University – in English

Postby denver » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 am

Trying to find Cold War Berlin is increasingly difficult. I toured Stasi Headquarters in 2009 and on leaving we went to the shopping mall three blocks away. I wondered at the time if in October of 1989 someone came to Stasi Headquarters and told them in 10 years people will be sitting at the chairman’s desk as part of a tour, or that a shopping mall was going to be in walking distance, if they would have just sent the person home because they knew they must be crazy. Thanks to a resident of Berlin who worked for the U.S. Government, there now is a pictorial history from 1947-1993. The website also has pictures with explanations of many of the “odd” structures one sees on walks around the area – such as English signs to a shopping mall that no longer exists and abandoned bus shelters with English signs.

http://www.berlin-brigade.com/
denver

Return to Distance Learning