Al...most...THERE! LL.M.

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Al...most...THERE! LL.M.

Postby nosborne48 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:13 am

I completed the final exam and sent it in. Let's hope that my work in International Tax is up to snuff. I've done fairly well in my courses up to this point so if I don't fail this course outright, I should be okay.

All that's left to do is take the proctored final exam in Partnership Tax which isn't worrying me very much. Once you kind of grasp the accounting principals and the particular goals of the tax system, most of it makes sense though it IS rather complex. I will write the exam in El Paso in the first week of April. Wish I could write it here, tomorrow but I suppose I could use some time for review.

And THAT, friends, will be THAT. 8)
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Update!

Postby nosborne48 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Hooray!

I passed International Tax with a comfortable score. All that remains now is a proctored final exam in Partnerships Tax in April and I'm DONE! 8)
nosborne48

Re: Al...most...THERE! LL.M.

Postby cbkent » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:14 pm

Congrats!

You should celebrate on April 15!
cbkent

Postby Brandon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 am

Congratulations! Good luck with your last exam. :D
Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour.

- 1 Peter 5:8

Bernie 2016

Support the Pregnant Women Support Act!
Brandon

Postby levicoff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 am

And this, nos', is how you know you're almost done . . . When the slew of one-line congratulatory messages begin to appear on DD, Jack posts an off-topic non-commercial link, and some new wazoo who can't write proper English posts a commercial link and congratulates you five years after you've graduated. :mrgreen:
levicoff

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Well what's the next thing?

I know when I completed my DL degree I was happy and suddenly with lots of free time in the evenings. After a month or so I began feeling something is missing, I was helping kids with their homework, taking them with my wife to all sport activities , we went to UK for a vacation and still something was missing. I enrolled in my next DL degree and noting is missing but the free time I had.

Am I DL addict now ? :-).

Whats your next gig?
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Jonathan Whatley » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Counsellor Osborne, your commitment to roll up your sleeves and make yourself something new, first as an EA, now as a postgraduate-trained expert in tax law, has been an inspiration. Congratulations, and good luck.

Sidebar: Eric! Forgive me if this was elsewhere and I didn't catch it, but what's your next DL degree?
Jonathan Whatley

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm a student in MBA Information Technology Management at WGU.
The employer approved 3K for tuition, not that match, the rest is from my savings.

One huge effect that my studying has is that my sons mimic me and study well.
The eldest will be taking Bar this year as he is about to graduate from Law School and the youngest is freshman in high school.

Congratulations!!! to Nosborne.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby sshuang » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi nosborne48,

I remembered you enrolled in UofL LLM few years back.
You probably have already mentioned it before.
However, could you advise again why you decided to withdraw from the program?
At which stage did you withdraw from the program? Did you take any exam before deciding to drop?
I am actually interested in its LLM in commercial and corporate law.
Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thanks
sshuang
sshuang, MBA, CPA
sshuang

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:08 pm

I made the first of two permitted attempts at the exam in jurisprudence and missed it by three points. Had it been a single subject, I could have accepted the score as "condoned" and attempted another subject and remained in the program but be required to do well enough in the second subject to average up, so to speak, but jurisprudence was a double subject and that option was not available.

When I looked at the mountain of material that I would have to re-study plus addressing the deficiencies in my earlier work, I realized that I simply could not do it without access to a good Commonwealth oriented law library. You just can't do it all online or by buying reference books.

Later I learned that the examiners and the sponsoring schools had not actually ever reached an agreement concerning the scope of the jurisprudence exam itself and that the schools weren't happy about it. This shook my faith in the UoL system. Plus, the fees increased dramatically at about the same time.

It was clear to me that the UoL system was not going to work for me so I decided to cut my losses and shifted to an American school and a program that has actual practical application for me.

Even with Taft, I quickly realized that I could not do it all using just online library resources. I created a substantial paper library of my own but since the subject was American taxation, materials were readily available from domestic publishers at a reasonable price.

I frankly cannot recommend a UoL graduate law program to an American resident unless he lives within driving distance of a University-level law library. Even then, the library would have to include a great deal of Commonwealth source material and few do. I suppose one's best bet would be to use a Canadian law library if one lived in, say, Bellingham, Washington or Detroit, Michigan. I suppose certain major U.S. university law libraries might also qualify but my own University of New Mexico's would not.

Incidentally, the score I achieved would have been quite creditable had I been studying as an undergraduate in the same subject. It was the higher expectations of the master's program that did me in. I suppose that, had I the option of seeking the LL.B. instead of the LL.M., that's the way I should have gone. I don't know whether I could have done that, though, already having a first degree in the subject.
nosborne48

Return to Distance Learning