Laurel University't connection to FLET

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Laurel University't connection to FLET

Postby Jimmy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Today I received a letter from Laurel University (formerly John Wesley College of NC). The address is the same as Universidad FLET. The FLET website is old as it announces the appointment of Dr. Jeffrey De Leon as President. De Leon resigned last year and the former President, Dr. Larry McCullough, was reappointed. McCullough is CEO of Laurel.

In today's letter, it is stated that FLET is the Spanish language training division of Laurel. Sometime last year I received a letter from FLET that they were in the process of a name change and new website. Laurel is ABHE-accredited. FLET is (was?) DETC.

As I find out more info on all this, I will post.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Re: Laurel University't connection to FLET

Postby laureluniversity » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:11 pm

In November 2010, John Wesley College added the programs of FLET, a 501(c) 3 non-profit, accredited Christian distance learning international university headquartered in Miami, Florida. FLET (http://www.flet.edu) offers both undergraduate and graduate degree programs in online, accelerated modular and blended study formats, with courses in Spanish and English and accreditation by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). FLET students come from 30 countries worldwide and receive support from a bi-lingual staff in Miami.

When this partnering was considered, research demonstrated compatibility in mission statements, as well as strategic goals and educational delivery method. JWC already provided education in multiple formats. Both institutions train leaders from a Christian point of view, with similarly high accreditation standards. The addition of FLET allowed JWC to dramatically expand its global presence and training impact.

In relation to this absorption of FLET's degree programs, John Wesley College received enthusiastic approval from the Association for Biblical Higher Education (http://www.abhe.org), its accrediting association. This new partnership added several accredited programs and allowed JWC to offer multiple graduate degrees. The school now was poised to provide accredited Christian leadership training and education around the world, as well as within the United States, especially to the Hispanic/Latino population. FLET became the Spanish training division.

With multiple graduate degree offerings and an international presence, the school desired to clearly indicate its university status and interdenominational reach by changing its name to "Laurel University." Their faith statement and focus remains the same. Laurel University (http://www.laureluniversity.edu) continues to reach Christian students both in and beyond any groups associated with John Wesley. The laurel bush is a plant common to mountains in southern United States. (Laurel U is in North Carolina.) The New Testament "crown" mentioned by the apostle Paul, the prize that the runner won, was a laurel wreath. The new name honors the school's Christian heritage while opening horizons of opportunity.
laureluniversity

Postby Jimmy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for the info, laureluniversity. I am an MTS grad of FLET. Will doctoral studied ever be proposed to DETC? Also, the FLET site needs updating, I think.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Jack » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:20 am

Jimmy, I'm sorry to be a bit of a troublemaker but why does an official representative of this school need to post anonymously?
Jack

Postby Jimmy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:53 pm

Jack wrote:Jimmy, I'm sorry to be a bit of a troublemaker but why does an official representative of this school need to post anonymously?

I don't think you are being "a bit of a troublemaker" at all. I didn't think about this but it is a good question.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby laureluniversity » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Recently, we've been checking mentions of "Laurel University" on the Worldwide Web to support the publishing of our new website (http://www.laureluniversity.edu).

Since we'd given an explanation (above), we just hadn't been checking into this site for comments so missed Jack's comment about anonymity. Let's take care of that right away (smile)!

My name is Wanda Clark, Director of University Relations for Laurel University. The statements above were made by me; however, since they were not personal comments, we chose the school's name as our "handle." I can be reached at either 336.887.3000 or wclark@laureluniversity.edu.

Laurel University has organized the Spanish degree programs into our División Académica en Español (Spanish Academic Division). The specific website pages within the Laurel U site start at: http://laureluniversity.edu/academics/d ... en-espanol.

Jimmy, the website you refer to no longer exists or redirects to our Laurel U site. We do have doctoral programs available, no longer through DETC but through our accrediting association ABHE. If you'd like more information, please contact admisiones@laureluniversity.edu or admissions@laureluniversity.edu.

We hope you enjoy our website. We welcome contacts with any questions or concerns.

Best,
Wanda Clark
laureluniversity

Postby Jimmy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Thank you, Wanda Clark, I just emailed about the doctoral programs.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby scottae316 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:34 am

From their website the only one I can find is the Doctor of Ministry.
scottae316

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:39 pm

How are ABHE (AABC) accredited degrees perceived?
Are they viewed as Academic or only Biblical?

Tx
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby johann » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Eric:

From the website at http://www.abhe.org :

"The Association for Biblical higher Education is a North American agency, made of approximately 200 postsecondary institutions throughout North America specializing in biblical ministry formation and professional leadership education."

ABHE is recognized by CHEA as a Faith-Based National Accreditor

From http://www.chea.org

CHEA Recognized Scope of Accreditation:

Institutions and programs in the United States, Canada and related territories that offer certificates, diplomas, associate, baccalaureate or graduate degrees aimed at preparing students for Christian ministries through Biblical, church-vocational and general studies. (2007)

Biblical is in their name and purpose. Not schools to head for if one is looking for, say, a psych. or engineering degree. I assume from the CHEA statement that general ed. subjects may be part of the ABHE-accredited schools' degree programs -- but the major focus of all will be religious. For example, you can earn a properly accredited Bachelor's in Theology or Bible Study. You won't, however earn a degree in Accounting, although you might take a couple of courses in it while earning a degree, to equip you for the financial management of a church.

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:03 pm

johann wrote:I assume....

There I go again! Always a mistake to assume! :oops:

Thanks, Titus, for straightening me out.

Johann
johann

FLET...Laural...Indiana Wesleyan

Postby Jimmy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:59 am

Now comes this:

http://www.universidadflet.org

You will have to click on the translation button.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby TheoloM » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Jimmy,

I have been talking with Laurel for sometime now about their D. Min. program. Laurel has a campus in NC not far from where I live. It looks solid as far as I can tell.

Take a look at the program if you will and give me your thoughts. By the way, did I read on your post that you are working as a pastor again?

TheoloM
TheoloM

Postby Jimmy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes, I am serving a small ELCA congregation on a very part-time basis. I looked into Laurel's D. Min. program several year's ago and liked it. I believe it is an excellent program. Finances kept me from pursuing it.

Looks like FLET is now Indiana Wesleyan. I've been in communication with IW folks since yesterday.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 am

Well, after nearly a week of emails and conflicting messages, it appears Universidad FLET no longer exists. All records are housed in the Miami office of Indiana Wesleyan University. IWU "acquired" the programs and current students of FLET but not the school or the name.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Return to Distance Learning