new Doctor of Social Work degree

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

new Doctor of Social Work degree

Postby PatsFan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:05 am

Capella's Doctor of Social Work degree

I'm not sure if anyone here has seen this, but Capella now offers a Doctor of Social Work degree. Many social workers like myself don't want to go the PhD route and consequently obtain doctorates in other fields--like I did. I think this looks pretty good.

http://www.capella.edu/schools_programs ... _work.aspx
BA, Nyack College
MAR, Eastern Nazarene College
MSW, University of Connecticut
D.Min, Ashland Theological Seminary
PatsFan

Re: new Doctor of Social Work degree

Postby Jack » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:38 am

There are so few DL doctoral level opportunities specifically for Social Workers that any new addition becomes of interest. It's difficult to assess how good this program might be. While it's clearly RA, it does not seem to be either CACREP or CSWE (the main accrediting body for Social Work programs). I would hope that at least one of these accreditations will follow in time. The website mentions that other Capella programs are CACREP accredited but it does not say that they intend to apply for accreditation for this DSW program. There is no mention of CSWE accreditation at all. I find this a conspicuous absence. I would also mention that gradually over the last decade, many of the Social Work doctoral programs have been converting from the DSW designation to the PhD designation. We could engage in some debate as to the significance of this but, in general, I think it's almost identical to the age-old debate of EdD v. PhD (in Education). To me there's no significant difference but I wonder if it was easier for Capella to get a new DSW program through the RA screening process than if they had chosen the PhD designation. It's probably just arcane social work nonsense that matters to very few people. In any case, I see this as a welcome addition to the available programs in this general area and hope that at some point we can hear from people who are enrolled in it.
Thanks Tom.

As a post-script I also have to say that 4K per quarter puts this program well outside my affordability range.
Jack

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:49 am

Can some one with Bachelors in Psychology from CSU and Masters in Psychology from National University enter this Doctor of Social Work program?

Thanks
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 pm

It has been about ten years since I worked with social workers on a daily basis but it seems to me that the full professional degree is the MSW, not a doctorate. I don't see why there would be any particular need for specialized accreditation of a DSW program so long as an admissions requirement is a fully accredited MSW.

I never really understood social work as a profession. I finally concluded after about three years working in a Child Protective Services agency that it is a cross-discipline combination of counseling, education, administration, and law enforcement but I never saw any official definition like that. It sure attracts all sorts of people, though.
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby PatsFan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:03 pm

nosborne48 wrote:I don't see why there would be any particular need for specialized accreditation of a DSW program so long as an admissions requirement is a fully accredited MSW.

The CSWE in fact only accredits BSW and MSW programs. It does not accredit doctoral programs.

http://www.cswe.org/About.aspx
BA, Nyack College
PatsFan

Postby Jack » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 pm

OK (I probably should have known that) so that makes the program even more attractive.
Jack

Postby PatsFan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Jack wrote:There are so few DL doctoral level opportunities specifically for Social Workers that any new addition becomes of interest. It's difficult to assess how good this program might be. While it's clearly RA, it does not seem to be either CACREP or CSWE (the main accrediting body for Social Work programs). I would hope that at least one of these accreditations will follow in time. The website mentions that other Capella programs are CACREP accredited but it does not say that they intend to apply for accreditation for this DSW program. There is no mention of CSWE accreditation at all. I find this a conspicuous absence. I would also mention that gradually over the last decade, many of the Social Work doctoral programs have been converting from the DSW designation to the PhD designation. We could engage in some debate as to the significance of this but, in general, I think it's almost identical to the age-old debate of EdD v. PhD (in Education). To me there's no significant difference but I wonder if it was easier for Capella to get a new DSW program through the RA screening process than if they had chosen the PhD designation. It's probably just arcane social work nonsense that matters to very few people. In any case, I see this as a welcome addition to the available programs in this general area and hope that at some point we can hear from people who are enrolled in it.
Thanks Tom.

As a post-script I also have to say that 4K per quarter puts this program well outside my affordability range.

I agree that the new apparent trend to designate the DSW as the professional Social Work degree has never been the case in the past. The PhD and the DSW were essentially the same degrees
BA, Nyack College
PatsFan

Postby PatsFan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:34 am

Jack wrote:OK (I probably should have known that) so that makes the program even more attractive.

Since Capella's DSW does not have to meet CSWE standards, they can probably admit whomever they want--MSWs and masters level counselors, etc. It would be up to the Regional accreditors to make sure there are sufficient Social Work faculty members to teach the courses and that it is truly a Social Work degree. I really like how it gives licensed masters level clinicians more options for doctoral work. If only some state universities would start offering similar programs so it would be more affordable.

Tom
BA, Nyack College
PatsFan

Postby smoen19 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:56 pm

I have inquired to the DSW at Capella and they specifically require that one has earned an MSW degree from a CSWE accredited instituition. They do not allow for graduate students of counseling or psychology to apply.
smoen19

Postby Jimmy » Thu May 12, 2011 12:47 am

nosborne48 wrote:...I never really understood social work as a profession. I finally concluded after about three years working in a Child Protective Services agency that it is a cross-discipline combination of counseling, education, administration, and law enforcement but I never saw any official definition like that. It sure attracts all sorts of people, though.

The social work field today is far, far from the work of the original social workers who were actually called "friendly visitors." Real social work is acutally performed by case managers, case facilitators, and family consultants. The clinical part of social work is a fairly new animal.
Jimmy

The Hunger Site
Jimmy

Postby PatsFan » Fri May 13, 2011 12:16 am

Hey Jimmy,
The way I understand it, social workers started providing psychotherapy or what was then called social casework to World War I vets suffering from shell shock--or what we now call PTSD. Those "friendly visitors" did a world of good. The profession has a rich history indeed.
Tom
BA, Nyack College
PatsFan

Postby Jack » Fri May 13, 2011 3:57 am

I suppose that in geologic time it's "fairly new." My school started doing clinical social work in 1904. http://www.simmons.edu/ssw/about/
Jack

Return to Distance Learning