Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica

Discussions on the value or merit of unaccredited programs and institutions.

Postby Roberto Hernandez » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:44 pm

[John Bear, author of popular distance learning guides, asked me to share this information with you. I had posted it on another distance learning discussion board.]

I happened on this site by a Google search, and read the entries regarding Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica. Some of the entries are true, and some are not, as is much of the material about Empresarial on the Internet.

I graduated from Empresarial with a doctorate more than 10 years ago. At the time I enrolled, the programs for international students were in the International Postgraduate School of the University of San Jose (Costa Rica). That university declined to pursue further the concept of an International Postgraduate School. Those investors who did want to pursue the concept founded what became Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica.

Empresarial's 1997 founding charter from the Costa Rican Ministry of Education broadly authorizes the university to grant academic degrees through the doctorate, but "authorizes" does not mean "approves." Under Costa Rican procedures, each degree in each discipline in a private university, like Empresarial, must be specifically approved by the Ministry to be valid for use within the country.

The Ministry has approved Empresarial, from its founding, to award bachelor's degrees in business administration and accounting and a master's degree in business administration. Many Costa Ricans have graduated from these residential programs. At my graduation ceremony, an undergraduate student received a full scholarship.

During my three years of study at Empresarial, the university made diligent efforts to attain approval to award doctorates, but their efforts were rebuked politically. Several doctoral candidates visited the Ministry and reviewed Empresarial's applications and the Ministry's replies; I assume they are still there more than 10 years later for anyone who wants to review them.

The doctoral programs were ostensibly marketed to non-Costa Ricans because the programs, though in review by the Ministry, had not been approved and would not be valid within the country. In Costa Rica, there is no half-way official designation for a private university degree as "Candidate for Accreditation." Although Empresarial was chartered by Costa Rica as a doctoral degree-granting university, it has never attained Costa Rican approval to award the doctoral degree.

At the time, however, I felt my program was solid and the criteria sound. Empresarial's doctoral degrees were evaluated as US regionally accredited by several evaluators, including Educational Credential Evaluators, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I had also bought John Bear's popular and credible distance learning guides in which he recommended Empresarial without reservation.

Empresarial's campus, at the time of my studies, consisted of two enclaves. The first, in a middle income residential section of San Jose, had several one and two-story buildings, a large gymnasium, basketball court and soccer field. Two classrooms had state-of-the-art computers. One building was set aside as a small private elementary school used as a teaching laboratory. I met several members of the university staff, most of whom worked in the registrar's office. The second enclave was a relatively new multi-story classroom building with signage, and a cafeteria, located in a business district close to the center of San Jose. Photos of the main facilities were all on Empresarial's website, but the building in the business district was not -- and it was the best building among the two enclaves.

Empresarial wanted the Ministry to approve bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in many disciplines. For the doctorate, Empresarial relied on the British model of a research degree which was not used by any other university in Costa Rica (coursework plus a dissertation is the national standard). The university required a residency period of one to two weeks. Students were required to submit lengthy dissertation proposals, and to nominate someone with a reputable doctorate in the chosen field to serve as a local advisor and reviewer. Candidates whose dissertations were finalized had to defend them in person before a Tribunal of three doctors (one Empresarial's academic dean and the other two with doctorates from universities in Costa Rica). No Tribunal member then could hold any degree from Empresarial.

At the time, Empresarial was not only asking for many degree and subject approvals from the Ministry, it was also evident that political forces within the Ministry were against a model of distance education that existed no where else in Costa Rica -- and particularly from a small "upstart" university with little or no clout to persuade the Ministry otherwise. Several doctoral candidates from four countries, including me, expressed a concern that the university was seeking approval for too much, too soon.

For my studies, I chose for my local advisor an associate professor in my field from a major US state university. He had served on doctoral committees and was well-published. Empresarial approved my nomination of him. He had to approve all of my work before it was submitted to the university; for this he was to be paid US$600. My dissertation filled about 400 pages. My defense was held among other defenses, given in Spanish or English, for seven other candidates and was open to the public. I had received lengthy instructions on how my defense would be handled, what to expect, how to act, what to wear, and what audio-visual support materials would be available.

My defense was one of three scheduled for one evening. I followed a candidate who rambled, and who was warned several times that unless he put forth a better defense, he would be seated and fail his defense. In the end, after a 45-minute private deliberation in which the 40 or so in the room were asked to leave, he was barely passed (each defense received a numeric score) and allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony. He was, however, required to make significant changes to his dissertation before he could receive a transcript.

I rose for my defense, and stood before my Tribunal. It consisted of Dr. Rodolfo Benevides, Dr. Jose Alberto Cheves, and Dr. Winston Cannon. Cannon was then Empresarial's academic dean, and served more as a coordinator for the interrogation rather than as an inquisitor. Benevides and Cheves both had doctorates from the University of Costa Rica, were faculty members at other local universities, and were connected to the Ministry's evaluation of Empresarial's doctoral programs. My defense lasted about 40 minutes, then I answered questions for another 20 minutes. As I looked down at the copies of my dissertation held by Benevides and Cheves, I could see numerous handwritten notations.

At the time of my graduation, Empresarial was involved in partnerships with others outside the university to create veterinary and medical schools. By the fall of 2002, the small veterinary school (St. Francis) for Costa Ricans was running successfully and many felt Ministry approval was assured. The medical school (St. Jude, also a partnership medical school in Sabana) was headed by a prominent Costa Rican physician who was also head of one of San Jose's most popular private hospitals. Because Costa Rica's quality of medical care was quite high, the nation was a center for medical tourism, and with many Costa Rican physicians educated and board certified in the U.S., Canada, or Europe, it appeared Empresarial's goal of a medical school would also soon be realized.

Empresarial's governing board, for its role in the partnerships, had the university staff recruit medical students, including students from several nations, and posted photos given by its partners to post on its website of local hospitals where medical students would receive training. The local hospitals were never contracted to be training sites. The head of the medical school spent little on the program, and reportedly kept much of the money for himself and his co-conspirators. Medical students arrived to find wholly substandard instruction and facilities. The Ministry ordered the medical and veterinary schools closed. Costa Rican news media provided coverage of these events.

Empresarial's academic administration didn't recover. The university came under new academic leadership (and apparently some new investors) in 2004. A couple of foreign doctoral alumni tried to help Empresarial by designing solid distance learning programs and inter-articulation agreements with reputable universities in other countries. The strategy for the former was to work within the framework of academic business programs accredited by the highly regarded international Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). The strategy for the latter were if agreements with reputable foreign universities could be signed, then the Ministry might be likely to approve more programs for Empresarial. These donated efforts were eventually rebuked by Empresarial's new administration.

Foreign alumni were alarmed when the new president announced that all of Empresarial's prior diplomas and transcripts were voided, and that for a one-time fee, the university would issue "valid" diplomas and transcripts. The fee for a doctoral graduate was US$3,000. I did not participate. A doctoral degree-granting unit in Hong Kong soon appeared, with Empresarial's approval and without recognition by Hong Kong authorities. It was headed by Hong Kong locals who had dubious backgrounds that were easily researched on the Internet. Dissertation Tribunal members, both in Costa Rica and Hong Kong, began to hold Empresarial doctorates. I suspect, but cannot confirm, the decline of the quality of dissertations.

Empresarial for the first time began to award honorary degrees -- reportedly for a fee -- only to foreign diploma-seekers and several with questionable, if not hilarious, credentials. These people, easily found in Internet searches, had previously spent time and money accumulating vanity titles. German nationals who received these degrees were exposed in the German newspaper Spiegel Online in December 2008.

In April 2008 Empresarial signed a contract with Global Academy Online, a Washington, DC-based marketing firm for distance education programs, to publicize a "new" distance learning Spanish/English MBA. Neither Empresarial or Global Academy Online has released any additional information on this initiative since April 2008.

Global Academy Online's Washington, DC office, according to a 2006 article in Inside Higher Ed, is nothing more than a secretary shared among other organizations and individuals. The founder of Global Academy Online, based in the American Southwest, claims a "Grand PhD" from a European organization. He created a university in the US but registered it to award degrees in Serborga, a controversial self-proclaimed nation within Italy. He was involved with another US-based university also registered in Serborga. Degrees from both universities are illegal for graduates to use in a few US states.

The April 2008 news release claimed that Empresarial is "authorized to grant bachelors, masters, and soon professional specializations and doctoral degrees" [italics mine], but no one anywhere offered details on the last claim then or in the year since. In January 2009 Empresarial's president, in response to a complaint from a disgruntled student, claimed that "International education ... is controlled by international rules not local rules; locally we can teach other programs, not doctoral, but internationally is different." The university's website says the opposite: that Empresarial "offers the following graduate degree programs to the international and local community, [italics mine] by distance learning." The list of degrees that follows includes degrees in subjects not approved by the Ministry of Education.

Today, Empresarial's website has little information. There are no photos of facilities as before, no "real" students and faculty as before, no list of university leaders and faculty, and the page for listing classes is blank. Lofty goals are mentioned, including participation in a City of Knowledge and a Health Complex, and an Empresarial medical school for 2008 (last year). No mention is made on the site, or in Costa Rican news media, about Empresarial's progress towards any of those goals. The current president uses his Empresarial email address on another website for a personal business venture. Several people, including some online, have said he is arrogant and condescending.

As a result of these missteps, most foreign degree evaluators, including Educational Credential Evaluators, no longer issue equivalency certificates for any foreigner-only degrees issued by Empresarial. Some evaluators, relying on the current administration's shortcomings, have gone so far as to revoke equivalencies they previously gave to graduates.

For me, an Empresarial doctorate from "the old days" has not handicapped me, although I obtained it primarily for corporate and not for educational employment. My employer urged me to study outside of North America, in a foreign culture. I have taught part-time occasionally with my doctorate, including graduate courses at accredited universities, and currently teach part-time at a major Canadian university. My old equivalency certificate from Educational Credential Evaluators has certainly helped, but the largest reason for acceptance of the doctorate has been my dissertation and the reputation of my local advisor.

I am, of course, saddened to learn of the decline of Empresarial because it dilutes the perception of the worth of my degree. I know that several good doctoral graduates of years ago with good dissertations are embarrassed, and no longer claim to have Empresarial doctorates. I remain convinced that my choice of Empresarial more than a decade ago was a good decision because I then had few options.

The three persons I was most involved with in my doctoral studies -- my local advisor and Empresarial's former academic dean and president -- all remain active in education. The former president, who sadly and incorrectly was maligned on the Internet as a international fugitive, is today the director of international affairs for a large government-accredited, well-respected, doctoral degree-granting university in the Caribbean.

I am not optimistic about Empresarial's distance learning future. In the absence of any credible, positive information, I fear the worst. I hope that I can be proven wrong, and that the university's distance learning programs will be rehabilitated. In the meantime, however, until more of Empresarial's degrees and subject areas appear on the Costa Rican Ministry of Education approved list, I do not recommend a distance learning degree from this university.

For those seeking a graduate distance learning degree from Costa Rica, the current best choice, academically and financially, is the state-sponsored Universidad Estatal a Distancia. Founded in 1977, it has now matured to offer 22 master's degrees and four doctoral degrees.

I only registered for this site to make this one post, and under a nom de plume to protect my privacy. I hope that you will find this post informative and useful.

Roberto Hernandez

Re: Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica

Postby Gus Sainz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Here is what I posted (on another forum) about Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica back in March of 2003.

As with most questionable schools, there is a long version and a short version of the story. The short version of the story is that, at on time, Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica (UNEM) was authorized by the Consejo Nacional de Ensenanza Superior Universitaria Privada (CONESUP), to grant three degrees; a Bachelor in Business Administration, a Bachelor in Accounting, and a Masters in Administrative Science. I say “at one time,” because at this time, Empresarial’s authorization to grant any degrees is in doubt. What is certain, however, is that at no time, was UNEM authorized to grant doctoral, medical, or any degrees besides the aforementioned three.

This fact is corroborated not only by CONESUP’s web site, but by UNEM’s new (see below) Web site as well. UNEM’s Web page that lists their undergraduate offerings displays a long list of majors. However, all but the Bachelor of Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting is marked with an asterisk that refers you to a note that states, ”UNEM has institutional accreditation and the university will be working toward having each program individually approved.” So, even though it lists concentrations in Finance, Human Resources, International Business, Management, and Marketing, they are not authorized to offer these majors. On Empresarial's Web page listing their graduate degree offerings (including doctoral programs), all but the Masters Program in Administrative Science are marked with an asterisk that refers you to the same notation.

It is important to note that the Ministry of Education of most Central and South American countries not only license a school to operate, but must also approve each and every program and degree offering. Moreover, if the institution wishes to offer a new degree or program, it too, must undergo the same approval process.

As is often the case with questionable schools, however, the long version of the story is much, but much, more interesting… Stay tuned, and when I have time, I will answer the following questions (although you can probably guess the answers already).
Did Costa Rica officials really investigate Empresarial University because they were not licensed to run a medical school?

Did the Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission send a cease-and-desist letter to a one Dr. Winston Cannon, forbidding him to recruit students for Empresarial’s medical school? Were copies of the cease-and-desist order sent to the president of Empresarial University and to the Consul General of Costa Rica in New Orleans?

Did Empresarial get into trouble with Costa Rican officials because it was featuring photos of some of the nation’s biggest hospitals and of students from other medical schools on its Web page as if they were their own facilities and students? Is it true that the new, updated web page still display links to the medical and veterinarian schools but both pages are now described as being under construction?

Is it true that, thanks to a denouncement of Empresarial’s shenanigans to the U.S Department of Education and the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA), NCFMEA, in its September session, decided not to recognize any medical degrees issued by the private universities of Costa Rica until the situation could be investigated and resolved?

Is it true that Christopher Ward, cultural attaché at the U.S. embassy in Costa Rica, was presented a document enumerating Empresarial’s activities so that it could be forwarded to the FBI? Moreover, is it true that (as this document alleges) the partners that run Empresarial are based in Loganville, GA?

Is it true that Educause was notified by a legitimate university in Costa Rica that they never authorized a .edu domain in their name? Is it also true that usj.edu redirects to unem.edu and that both are registered to one Aldo Erazo, and they both utilize the same technical contact in Miami, FL?

Did CONESUP really file criminal charges against the Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica in October of last year?
Oh, what the heck; why wait? According to several newspaper and magazine articles in Costa Rica, the answer to all of the above questions is yes.

But how did the scam operate? Is there really a fictitious bank account in Hialeah, Florida in the name of a legitimate Costa Rican university that Empresarial used to pay bills in Costa Rica? Is it true that checks written on this account bounced? Are American students denouncing Empresarial in Washington? Why is the individual who runs Empresarial referred to as The Wolf of the Internet? The answer to these questions, I’ll save for another time.

As an interesting aside, the last link on this Google search made me smile. The link is for Northcentral University’s October 2002 Catalog (as a rtf, or rich text format document), and was included in the search because of faculty mentor Michael Ewald’s listing of his Ph.D. in Administrative Science from the Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica. The title of the link (which would also be the title of the link if you were to add it to your Favorites list) is the obviously truncated, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY. I guess they are not as separate and distinct entities as they would have you believe.
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:52 pm

EMPRESARIAL UNIVERSITY OF COSTA RICA (UNEM)
ACCREDITATION

UNEM of Costa Rica is an accredited institution of higher learning in Costa Rica.

CONESUP (ACCREDITATION AGENCY ) in Costa Rica.

www.mep.go.cr/conesup/index.aspx

or directly:

www.mep.go.cr/centrode informa...2008102452.pdf

EMPRESARIAL UNIVERSITY OF COSTA RICA IS LISTED IN :

UNESCO HANDBOOK AND UNESCO ONLINE DATABASE

UNEM is recognized by UNESCO, the International Authority on Education Accreditation.

www.unesco.org/iau/onlinedatabases/list.html

The Fundacion Empresarial de Costa Rica was founded in 1995.
Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica received approval of its charter from the Consejo Nacional de Enseñanza Superior Universitaria Privada (CONESUP) of the Costa Rican Ministry of Education, during Session number 336-97 which met on 5 November 1997.
UNEM is listed with the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) International Association of Universities' World List of Universities and International Handbook of Universities and other international directories.

UNEM Webpage: www.unem.edu

UNEM offers a DUAL LANGUAGE M.B.A. program in English and Spanish

www.openpr.com/news/43357/uni...BA-Online.html

UNEM is regionally accredited from State (Ministry of Public Education)
and by CONESUP (Consejo Nacional de Enseñanza Superior Universitaria
Privada) (National Council of Higher Education Private University).

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: PLEASE READ

UNEM is authorized (by Asesoría Legal del Ministerio de Educación No. ATJ-167-CONESUP) to operate internationally and to grant Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates Degrees with International Agreements with others universities.
(Outside Costa Rica only).

OREGON OFFICE OF DEGREE AUTHORIZATION:

www.osac.state.or.us/oda/

You may ask them about UNEM

Address: Office of Degree Authorization
1500 Valley River Dirve - Suite 100
Eugene, OR. 97401
Phone: (541) 687-7452
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:01 am

To Dr. Roberto Hernández:

You did graduate 10 years ago and you are not proud of Empresarial University of Costa Rica. The problem was before the year 2002 under the President and Rector Aldo Erazo, now things are different with the new administration and leadership of the new President and Rector Dr. William Zamora.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

UNEM is regionally accredited from State (Ministry of Public Education)
and by CONESUP (Consejo Nacional de Enseñanza Superior Universitaria
Privada) (National Council of Higher Education Private University).

UNEM is authorized (by Asesoría Legal del Ministerio de Educación No. ATJ-167-CONESUP) to operate internationally and to grant Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates Degrees with International Agreements with others universities (Outside Costa Rica only).

YOU MAY CALL THIS OFFICE TO FIND OUT:

OREGON OFFICE OF DEGREE AUTHORIZATION:

www.osac.state.or.us/oda/

You may ask them about UNEM

Address: Office of Degree Authorization
1500 Valley River Dirve - Suite 100
Eugene, OR. 97401
Phone: (541) 687-7452

ALSO, I WOULD LIKE MR. JOHN BEAR TO READ IT.

NOW, UNEM IS CLEAR AND WITH NEW LEADERSHIP.
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:33 am

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR MR. JOHN BEAR IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!

I like to send the following message to Mr. John Bear about Empresarial University of Costa Rica. (UNEM).

UNEM is an excellent educational institution and I am very proud. In the past before the year 2002 Mr. Aldo Erazo did not do a good job and he got a lot of problems. From the year 2002 the new administration and leadership of Dr. William Zamora has been great and very responsible.

Please read the following information:

Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica: The Empresarial University of Costa Rica is a Private University. UNEM is an accredited institution of higher learning in Costa Rica. This university is recognized by UNESCO, the international authority on education accreditation. UNEM is regionally accredited from State (Ministry of Public Education) and by approval of its charter from CONESUP (Consejo Nacional de Enseñanza Superior Universitaria Privada) (National Council of Higher Education Private University) during Session Number 336-97 which met on November 5th., 1997. (THIS ACCREDITATION IS FOR COSTA RICA ONLY).

UNEM is authorized by (Asesoria Legal del Ministerio de Educación No. ATJ-167-CONESUP) to operate internationally and to offer international programs and to grant Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates Degrees with International Agreements with others universities (OUTSIDE COSTA RICA ONLY).

I HOPE YOU READ THIS MESSAGE, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE I DO CARE FOR UNEM REPUTATION.

SINCERELY,

J.S.
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Dr. William Zamora, President and Rector of Empresarial University of Costa Rica made the following comment:

Thank you very much, as I said this Mr. Erazo, is a danger person, I have in my possession a bad check of many thousands, which gave me for the payment of various things, I really was theft. At that time Mr. Aldo Erazo did many things wrong, I WAS NOT PART OF THE UNIVERSITY.

Dr. William Zamora took over UNEM in the year 2002 or 2003, I do not remember exactly. HE WAS NOT PART OF THE MEDICAL SCHOOL, ETC., ETC., ETC.

Dr. William Zamora said: UNEM IS MY LIFE PROJECT AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO CHANGE BAD COMMENTS.

WILLIAM ZAMORA GONZALEZ
PRESIDENT AND RECTOR OF EMPRESARIAL UNIVERSITY OF COSTA RICA
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:25 pm

EMPRESARIAL UNIVERSITY OF COSTA RICA

MISSION:

Our mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, the provision of continuous training programs, learning and research in the highest international standards of excellence.

Core values:

Freedom of thought, expression and discrimination. Excellence in education, encouragement to question everything that happens around us, quality and depth in all subjects. Education enhances the ability of students to learn through life and relationship with society.

TO CONTACT US
UNIVERSITY ADDRESS:

Oficinas de la Fundación Empresarial de Costa Rica
Zapote, metros Residencial Montealegre del Colegio de Abogados, 200 metros Oeste, 100 metros norte y 50 Oeste, casa N ° 2213. San José, Costa Rica

Dirección postal

Universidad Empresarial

62-2050 San José, Costa Rica

E-mail:

info@unem.edu

ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS:

EMPRESARIAL UNIVERSITY OF COSTA RICA

APARTADO POSTAL 12640-1000

SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby Gus Sainz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:51 pm

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:Dr. William Zamora, President and Rector of Empresarial University of Costa Rica made the following comment:

Thank you very much, as I said this Mr. Erazo, is a danger person, I have in my possession a bad check of many thousands, which gave me for the payment of various things, I really was theft. At that time Mr. Aldo Erazo did many things wrong, I WAS NOT PART OF THE UNIVERSITY.

Dr. William Zamora took over UNEM in the year 2002 or 2003, I do not remember exactly. HE WAS NOT PART OF THE MEDICAL SCHOOL, ETC., ETC., ETC.

Dr. William Zamora said: UNEM IS MY LIFE PROJECT AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO CHANGE BAD COMMENTS.

WILLIAM ZAMORA GONZALEZ
PRESIDENT AND RECTOR OF EMPRESARIAL UNIVERSITY OF COSTA RICA

If Mr. William Zamora would like his message to be posted on this forum, he is perfectly capable of doing so himself, as he has been a member since March of 2007.

Are you William Zamora? If not, what, precisely, is your affiliation with Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica (aside of course, from your job of spamming various Internet fora with disingenuous advertisements)?
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby Gus Sainz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:07 pm

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:UNEM is authorized (by Asesoría Legal del Ministerio de Educación No. ATJ-167-CONESUP) to operate internationally and to grant Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates Degrees with International Agreements with others universities (Outside Costa Rica only).

Could you please list the universities that UNEM has "International Agreements" with to provide degrees that UNEM is not authorized to grant in Costa Rica?

Are these degrees issued by Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica, or by the university with whom it has an "International Agreement?" In other words, what name appears on the diploma?
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:13 pm

I did graduate from Empresarial University of Costa Rica and I am not spamming internet fora with disingenuous advertisements. I know Dr. Zamora well from the year 2004 and does communicate with me all the time.

If you think my comments are false why you do not delete them?

Thanks for your profesionalism.
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby Gus Sainz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:24 pm

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:I did graduate from Empresarial University of Costa Rica and I am not spamming internet fora with disingenuous advertisements. I know Dr. Zamora well from the year 2004 and does communicate with me all the time.

If you think my comments are false why you do not delete them?

Thanks for your profesionalism.

I have not deleted your posts, Dr. Strazzeri, because, quite often, when dealing with questionable institutions, it is what those affiliated with these institutions say (and the marketing practices they engage in) that are the most revealing.

Now that I have answered your question, would you be so kind as to answer mine?

Could you please list the universities that UNEM has "International Agreements" with to provide degrees that UNEM is not authorized to grant in Costa Rica?

Are the degrees issued by Universidad Empresarial de Costa Rica, or by the university with whom it has an "International Agreement?" In other words, what name
appears on the diploma?
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:36 pm

The name on degrees is Empresarial University of Costa Rica.

The international agreement is only for degrees outside of Costa Rica.

I do no have the information that you asked me.

The name of the university with international agreement is on the back of the diploma.

This university has a good reputation with the leadership of Dr. William Zamora, he is very professional.

I can only tell you what I do know from them.

Thanks for everything.

JS.
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby Gus Sainz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:00 pm

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:The name on degrees is Empresarial University of Costa Rica.

Are you saying that UNEM is still engaging in the practice of issuing degrees without the proper legal authority? Mr Zamora said that these practices were fraudulent and dangerous.

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:The international agreement is only for degrees outside of Costa Rica.

Since UNEM only has authority to issue TWO Bachelors (Business and Accounting) and an MBA in Costa Rica, doesn’t this mean that all other degrees (such as doctorates) have to be subject to an “International Agreement” and should be issued by a completely separate (and hopefully duly authorized) entity?

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:I do no have the information that you asked me.

The name of the university with international agreement is on the back of the diploma.

Since the information is on the back of the diploma, why don’t you look on the back of your diplomas and tell us what it says? What does it say on the back of your Ed.D.?

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:This university has a good reputation with the leadership of Dr. William Zamora, he is very professional.

UNEM has had a terrible reputation in the past and it doesn’t seem like anything has changed.

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:I can only tell you what I do know from them.

I would hope that, as an alumni, you would have some first hand information.

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:Thanks for everything.

JS.

You are very welcome. I hope your realize, however, that your inability (or refusal) to answer the simplest of questions concerning the information you have posted harms both your credibility and that of the institution you are trying to promote.
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Postby jstrazzeri@live.com » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:19 pm

According to my knowledge UNEM has an authority to grant degree:

UNEM is authorized (by Asesoría Legal del Ministerio de Educación No. ATJ-167-CONESUP) to operate internationally and to grant Bachelors, Masters and Doctorates Degrees with International Agreements with others universities (Outside Costa Rica only).

My degree is framed permanently and I am not able to give you the name.

I am not refusing to answer your questions. I am tellingt you what I just know from them.

Thanks.

JS.
jstrazzeri@live.com

Postby Gus Sainz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:34 pm

jstrazzeri@live.com wrote:According to my knowledge UNEM has an authority to grant degree:

You are (conveniently so) mistaken. According to the Ministerio De Educacion Pública (see HERE), Universidad Empresarial De Costa Rica has the legal authority to grant exactly THREE degrees:
BACHILLERATO ADMINISTRACIÓN EMPRESAS (B.A. Business)
BACHILLERATO CONTADURÍA (B.A. Accounting)
MAESTRÍA PROFESIONAL ADMINISTRACIÓN EMPRESAS (M.B.A.)

Neither CONESUP, nor the MEP grants any kind of authority concerning “International Agreements”, degrees granted outside of Costa Rica, and neither grants Universidad Empresarial De Costa Rica any kind of authority to grant degrees other than the aforementioned three.

So (in case I wasn’t clear), any diploma issued solely by Universidad Empresarial De Costa Rica other than a B.A in Business, a B.A in Accounting, and a M.B.A. (that obviously includes any doctorate) is bogus.
Gus Sainz
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator

Next

Return to Unaccredited Programs