Air Command and Staff College awards first distance...

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Air Command and Staff College awards first distance...

Postby Gus Sainz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Eight students have completed Air Command and Staff College’s new Distance Learning Master’s Degree program.

They will be the first officers to graduate with the master’s degree in Military Operational Art and Science through this completely online offering.

Three of the graduates completed the program on their personal time, working their assignments on nights and weekends. The remaining five completed it through the Air Force Air Mobility Command’s intern program at Scott Air Force Base, Ill.

The graduation ceremony, is scheduled for today at Scott AFB at 1 p.m. Lt. Gen. Allen Peck, Air University commander, is a guest speaker. Brig. Gen. Jimmy Jackson, ACSC commandant, is also attending the ceremony.



Air Command and Staff College awards first distance learning master’s
Gus Sainz
Moderator
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Air Command and Staff College awards first distance...

Postby serpico » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:13 pm

Mr. Sainz,

What is your opinion of the accreditation of this school? Would this program be good for a young air traffic controller? He is an engineer by trade and has been working for the FAA for the last two years. Please advise.

Serpico
serpico
New Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Air Command and Staff College awards first distance...

Postby Rich Douglas » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Likely isn't eligible to attend.
Rich Douglas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Air Command and Staff College awards first distance...

Postby Gus Sainz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:27 pm

serpico wrote:Mr. Sainz,

What is your opinion of the accreditation of this school?

The accreditation of this institution is above reproach. The Air Force Institute of Technology is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Air University is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. And The Air Force Institute of Advanced Distributed Learning is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council.

serpico wrote:Would this program be good for a young air traffic controller? He is an engineer by trade and has been working for the FAA for the last two years. Please advise.

Serpico

Without knowing your friend’s goals and needs I cannot offer specific advice. If his or her goal is a degree in Air Traffic Management (a field that does not lend itself to distance learning), and a career as an Air Traffic Controller with the FAA, your friend might want to look into the Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative.

The Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) program is a partnership between the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and 23 Aviation Colleges to provide the academic preparation necessary for students interested in air traffic control careers. The colleges selected by the FAA to participate in this program are allowed to recommend its graduates to the FAA for hire as air traffic controllers. The Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative is not a degree-granting program, however, and does not require that the student major in Air traffic Control. It is a set of courses usually offered in conjunction with several different Aeronautics degree programs such as Airport Management, Electronic Engineering Technology (Avionics), Aircraft Operations, etc..

If your friend is already a FAA Air Traffic Control Specialist and is simply seeking an undergraduate degree, then he or she might like to know that there are some schools that will award him up to 60 credits for his or her license. If it is a Master’s degree in an aviation related field he or she seeks, there are numerous distance learning options.
Gus Sainz
Moderator
DegreeDiscussion.com
Gus Sainz
Administrator
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Air Command and Staff College awards first distance...

Postby Rich Douglas » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 am

Not eligible to attend. To wit:

The Online Master’s Degree program is now open with more than 600 students. Applications are being accepted from eligible Air Force active duty, Reserve and Guard majors and major-selects that have not already completed both their master’s degree and their intermediate developmental education. Note: this means those who have completed both IDE and already hold a master’s or higher degree are ineligible to participate.

We are working hard to expand the program to include eligible Air Force civilians in major-equivalent positions, sister-service majors and major-selects, and DoD and other eligible Federal Agency civilians in major-equivalent positions. The program will open to personnel in these categories as selection/admission processes mature and resources allow. We anticipate that to happen sometime during calendar year 2008.


Even if it is expanded, federal civilians will likely need to be serving in the grades of GS-11 and higher. (And some higher grades may be excluded anyway.)
Rich Douglas
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Air Command and Staff College awards first distance...

Postby serpico » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:11 am

Gus Sainz wrote:
serpico wrote:Mr. Sainz,

What is your opinion of the accreditation of this school?

The accreditation of this institution is above reproach. The Air Force Institute of Technology is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Air University is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. And The Air Force Institute of Advanced Distributed Learning is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council.

serpico wrote:Would this program be good for a young air traffic controller? He is an engineer by trade and has been working for the FAA for the last two years. Please advise.

Serpico

Without knowing your friend’s goals and needs I cannot offer specific advice. If his or her goal is a degree in Air Traffic Management (a field that does not lend itself to distance learning), and a career as an Air Traffic Controller with the FAA, your friend might want to look into the Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative.

The Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) program is a partnership between the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and 23 Aviation Colleges to provide the academic preparation necessary for students interested in air traffic control careers. The colleges selected by the FAA to participate in this program are allowed to recommend its graduates to the FAA for hire as air traffic controllers. The Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative is not a degree-granting program, however, and does not require that the student major in Air traffic Control. It is a set of courses usually offered in conjunction with several different Aeronautics degree programs such as Airport Management, Electronic Engineering Technology (Avionics), Aircraft Operations, etc..

If your friend is already a FAA Air Traffic Control Specialist and is simply seeking an undergraduate degree, then he or she might like to know that there are some schools that will award him up to 60 credits for his or her license. If it is a Master’s degree in an aviation related field he or she seeks, there are numerous distance learning options.


Thanks to you and Rich for you comments. I will share this info. with him.


Thanks once again,

Serpico
serpico
New Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:25 pm


Return to Distance Learning

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron