Online Masters Program in Statistics at NC State

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Online Masters Program in Statistics at NC State

Postby GeeBee » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:04 pm

I haven't been around the forum for a while, I've been too busy studying! I started a BA in Mathematical Sciences at UIS in Fall 2011 and will graduate in May, so I've been looking at online graduate programs.

I was very, very happy to find out that North Carolina State University will soon offer a Master of Statistics degree online: http://online.stat.ncsu.edu/online-prog ... e-program/

It's close enough to my office that I was able to walk over there during my lunch hour and chat with the program coordinator. So I'll have the flexibility of online classes, but with convenient face-to-face access to faculty members!
GeeBee

Re: Online Masters Program in Statistics at NC State

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Good for you!

Is there a difference between a BA in Mathematical Science and a BA or BS in Mathematics?
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Re: Online Masters Program in Statistics at NC State

Postby GeeBee » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:47 pm

nosborne48 wrote:Is there a difference between a BA in Mathematical Science and a BA or BS in Mathematics?

Not that I can tell.

UIS requires 24 hours of core courses, and another 8 hours chosen from two "clusters:" either Abstract Algebra and Geometry, or Mathematical Statistics II and Statistical Methods. The core courses include Mathematical Statistics I and Operations Research, so I guess the major is heavier on Stats than most other Mathematics majors.
GeeBee

Return to Distance Learning