Master from ILM vs UNISA South Africa

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Master from ILM vs UNISA South Africa

Postby aimymalik » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:55 am

Dear ALL,

I need your help,

I have completed Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm-D) degree from Pakistan which is a 5 years master degree(192 credit hours), am interested in Master of Administration in Logistics from UNISA or ILM , I have 4 years of experience in logistics field and currently am working in South Sudan with United Nations..

MBA Fee ILM = USD 3000
UNISA = USD 2000

Accrediation of ILM = DETC
UNISA= Acceptance worldwide including UNESCO

I want degree for career growth and am not sure if ILM degree will be accepted by United Nations or not. Please guide which option I should go for.. or is there any other option ?

Thanks
aimymalik

Re: Master from ILM vs UNISA South Africa

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:34 pm

The oldest logistics distance learning school in the world, since 1923!
Some 2,500 companies, government agencies, railroads, motor carriers and freight forwarders have hired many of the near 100,000 alumni of the school over our 90 year history.
http://www.ilm.edu/iweb/index.php
http://www.ilm.edu/iweb/index.php/features/services

Tuition Plan 1 is $100 per semester credit hour, making the 45 credit hour program tuition cost $4,500.

Tuition Plan 2 is $1,000 each for the first two foundational courses and $100 per course thereafter, making the 45 credit hour program tuition $66.67 per credit hour for tuition of $3,000. After the 2nd year of enrollment if the student has not completed the program there is an additional fee of $300 due each year starting the first day of the 3rd year and each year thereafter as long as the student is active in the program until program completion, program termination, or the maximum time for the program has been reached. Students choosing this tuition plan should be motivated and reasonably confident they can complete it in under two years.

NOTE: Tuition plan #2 is being discontinued. To take advantage of tuition plan #2 all application materials must be submitted by May 15, 2014 and the first MBA500 course must be started by June 1, 2014.

You have 3 weeks if you want plan B. Also you will need TOEFL

Applicants whose native language is not English and who have not earned a degree from an institution where English is the principal language of instruction must receive a minimum score of 530 for Master's degree program applicants on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or 71 on the iBT for Master's degree program applicants, or its equivalent. For more information on TOEFL visit the website at: www.ets.org/toefl.

Applicants with international credentials wishing to transfer in degrees earned at institutions located outside the United States must have their academic transcripts evaluated and certified by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES) member organization. Applicants will be assessed a fee by the certifying organization and should request that the report be sent directly to ILM. Applicants transferring in a degree need to request a General Degree Evaluation sometimes called a Document by Document Evaluation. For more information about NACES member organizations visit the website at: www.naces.org.

Future possibilities -In Addition to NJ State approval ILM in provisionally approved in the State of Colorado, They testing ground for RA with NCI.

The DETC ILM MBA accreditation is new, so in the future the school can be listed with UNESCO as well.
Once of my degrees is from DETC accredited school and the school is listed in the UNESCO AIE etc.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:59 pm

UNISA can be a better option but there are challenges.

An appropriate Bachelor Honours degree, or an appropriate Postgraduate Diploma, or a 480 credit Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 96 credits at NQF level 8 in the field of Logistics

Pharmacy degree may not have the Logistics classes may not be appropriate so you need to find out if UNICA will accept yuour degree or you will have to take additional Logistics studies.

http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualificationsMD/

An easier program has been discontinued

I would go with UNISA, lower tuition and their recognition in my view is more universal. in USA UNISA degrees are evaluated as equivalent to RA.
I had challenges with my DETC degree, for example in UK NARIC doesn't evaluate DETC degrees. They consider only RA degrees as equivalent to UK degrees.
If you can spend more i think Arizona State Univ has a 9 month Masters of Logistics degree.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby aimymalik » Sat May 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Dear Eric,

Thanks fro you help, bad news for me I received email from UNISA stating that I am not eligible for Master in Administration (Logistics). I am still in touch with ILM but only problem, this institute is not listed in IAU list of accredited institutes/universities here http://www.iau-aiu.net/content/list-heis . My budget is not more than 4000 USD. Online Degree from India is not an option for me because India's is not in good books of our government.
ALL I WANT IS: Master degree offered online listed in IAU and cost not more than 4000USD.

Thanks again
aimymalik

Postby levicoff » Sat May 03, 2014 3:32 pm

For what it's worth (since I'm involved in the global logistics field*), I looked at the ILM program and actually find it very weak in logistics. It's a basic MBA program with lots of generic courses, but very little to offer in logistics itself. Between the two in the original inquiry, I would definitely lean toward UNISA.

The bad news is that you are unlikely to find any master's program in logistics that meets the financial parameters you have set. If you want to see a great online master's in logistics program, check out Penn State University's world campus. But with tuition of over $900 per credit it has essentially priced itself off the market. The only other logistics master's I've seen with any bite is American Military University/American Public University, which I rule out merely because it's a proprietary (profit-making) school.

* Yeah, yeah, I know that most people know me as a generic trucker making happy-go-lucky jaunts to the theatre every weekend. But in my branch of the field, I run in the global intermodal millieu, do extensive training for drivers, and write both drivers' and operational manuals for both trucking companies and seaports.
levicoff

Postby SteveFoerster » Sat May 03, 2014 3:58 pm

levicoff wrote:The only other logistics master's I've seen with any bite is American Military University/American Public University, which I rule out merely because it's a proprietary (profit-making) school.

Interesting. At $11,700 it's less than half cost of the one from Penn State, so it wouldn't seem right to rule it out simply for supposedly being money grubbing. But it's still way more than the ones the original poster was considering.

http://www.amu.apus.edu/academic/progra ... management

-=Steve=-
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Return to Distance Learning