CIE/World College on Show Cause (DETC) Why?

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

CIE/World College on Show Cause (DETC) Why?

Postby johann » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:46 pm

I believe CIE was first DETC-accredited in 1956. And now, almost 58 years later, they (and World College) are on Show Cause with DETC? In light of both schools' lengthy and solid reputations, I've been wondering why? Anybody have any idea of the reason(s) -- or any thoughts on how this will play out?

Johann
johann

Re: CIE/World College on Show Cause (DETC) Why?

Postby Rich Douglas » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Without any data, except for a lack of obvious cause, I would suspect finance.
Rich Douglas

Postby johann » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:14 pm

Rich Douglas wrote:Without any data, except for a lack of obvious cause, I would suspect finance.

Given what we (don't) know, that would seem likely. I hope CIE/WC can turn this around. I gather from the DETC page we may get a decision in July.

Johann
johann

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Its bad news, basically. A step before a college may lose accreditation or have to take action.
The show cause used by majority of accrediting agencies, including regional, professional etc.

Here is acase of one college that failed show cause for WASC.
http://www.ccsf.edu/ACC/Decision_07_03_2013.pdf

CIE and WC are due for re accreditation in 2014. There was a visit in Jan 2014. It didn't satisfy the commission.
Next visit is in June.
Show Cause Order 
The following institutions are ordered to show cause as to why DETC accreditation should not be withdrawn. 
Cleveland Institute of Electronics.

The commission can decide to terminate or re accredit the college following the correction actions.
So its compliance issue at this time.

I'm both CIE and WC graduate, and very happy with the education and the service they provided. Not a good news for us the alumni.
Eric

"The best social program is a good job,"
President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby johann » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Yes, Eric. There's a recently-exhumed (by me) thread on CCSF here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9629

If I were a CCSF student, working on a degree, I'd be looking into transferring earned credits to another school and finishing up there ASAP. The window is closing...so might the school. If I were taking courses solely for interest, I'd likely hang around till the lights went out.

As for CIE/World College - two things:

(1) We don't know the exact reason, but we're pretty sure it's financial (or possibly, administrative?) in nature, rather than academic.. I'm hoping that CIE/WC can surmount this difficulty. Not all show-causes come to a bad end.

(2) Yes - if it closed, grads (like you) would miss their old school, for sure. But the validity etc. of your degree would survive. The school was accredited when you earned and received it -- and that's all that counts, officially. Beyond that -- you'd still have your good memories, I guess.

Johann
johann

Postby nosborne48 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:41 am

And grads like me.

I got a diploma in electronics engineering from CIE in 1981 before such schools even offered actual degrees. I went on and got my AAS in EET in 1983 from the school and they invited us and our spouses to a very nice two day graduation fete in Cleveland at THEIR expense! We were one of the really early classes, maybe second? I remember it well. I fell in love with Cleveland but it WAS Springtime. :mrgreen:

Both programs were first rate but the diploma was significantly more theoretical than the degree and not all of the diploma subjects carried over if I remember right. Calculus seemed to go on FOREVER.

I admit I've since wondered why such a school needed to offer a degree? Their diplomas sold well since 1934.

But hey, I'm also the guy who thinks the University of LaVerne, Western State University, and Thomas Jefferson School of Law all effed up big time when they spent millions attaining ABA approval for their J.D. Programs. Obviously, I am completely clueless... :roll:
Una cosa mala nunca muere.
nosborne48

Postby johann » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:34 pm

nosborne48 wrote:I admit I've since wondered why such a school needed to offer a degree? Their diplomas sold well since 1934.

Probably the "credential inflation" or "deification of degree-ification" that, over the years, mandated that everyone must have a degree, whether they needed/wanted one or not. How were people even supposed to get up in the morning, without one? I think a tipping point was reached in the early 60s when a restaurateur in California (where else?) required that his wait-staff have a Bachelor's in anything - just so (as he saw it) they could write legibly and add up a check. It made the newspaper at the time - certainly wouldn't, today.

I think CIE/WC probably felt the "winds of change" and decided it was prudent and profitable to offer degrees.

nosborne48 wrote:Obviously, I am completely clueless... :roll:

It's tempting to say "yes, but we love you anyway." However, you're not clueless - but we still do. You, Distinguido Señor, deserve a sweatshirt that says "FÄRFRØMKLÜELEß" or something like that. :)

Johann
johann

Postby johann » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:02 pm

nosborne48 wrote:I fell in love with Cleveland but it WAS Springtime. :mrgreen:

I was in Cleveland for about one day, back in the 80s. I took a liking to it, too. I wanted to go to the "Warsaw," hang out with Drew Carey and listen to a set of the "Horndogs" - but it never happened.* :) I also got a short visit to Canton. The only thing I didn't like about Canton was that it looked (at the time) uncannily like Hamilton ON - where I grew up and where I live now. Another similarity - both cities have a Football Hall of Fame. I'm not interested in football, but I have to admit, our Hall of Fame is the welfare version, compared to the one in Canton. Not surprising, as ours is a near-minimum-wage league. And Canton has WAY better shopping malls! The best of ours pales in comparison to the least of theirs!

The place in Ohio I liked best was Columbus! I was really impressed by the Ohio State campus there -- it dwarfed my local Uni. I remember having one shot of 100-proof bourbon in a bar favoured by OSU students, too. Strange that I'd remember one drink out of all those I had years ago (those days are long gone) but I liked everything about Columbus - cheerful, bustling, very clean city as I remember. Seemed much better-run than where I live.

Johann

* I don't know what it says about me - but I loved that show! Especially Craig Ferguson, as Nigel Wick. He was better, then...
johann

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:36 pm

I been in contact with the administration at WC/CIE.
They provided additional information to the commission, expecting to be re-accredited.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:23 pm

Thank you for the followup, Eric.
nosborne48

Postby Oregon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:17 pm

johann wrote:
nosborne48 wrote:I fell in love with Cleveland but it WAS Springtime. :mrgreen:

I was in Cleveland for about one day, back in the 80s. I took a liking to it, too. I wanted to go to the "Warsaw," hang out with Drew Carey and listen to a set of the "Horndogs" - but it never happened.* :)

Was that the part of the 80s after September 13, 1995 when the first Drew Carey show aired?
Oregon

Re: For goodness' sakes, it was a JOKE, Oregon!

Postby johann » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Oregon wrote:Was that the part of the 80s after September 13, 1995 when the first Drew Carey show aired?

Yes, it was. :mrgreen:

C'mon. What do you expect from a -- what was it you said, Oregon? Oh yes, "nutless Canadian retard with no gun." I said "it never happened."

I visited Cleveland around 1983, 12 years before the first Drew Carey show. Of course I had never heard of the show at that point. In later years - yeah, I would have liked to hang out at the Warsaw etc., so I just threw in a small, gratuitous joke. I always liked the show and thought it deserved mention.

Everything else - e.g. my visit to Canton and drinking bourbon in Columbus --yeah, I did that. Never made it to WKRP in Cincinnati, though. Sorry you didn't like my post. I hope to see the forum again in another month or so. Pretty busy, right now.

Johann
johann

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:56 pm

CIE is no longer accredited by DETC.

Last day of accreditation is Friday Jul 18th.
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Postby nosborne48 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:49 am

Oh, crud. That is a disappointment to me.

I remember when the New College of California ceased to exist. I wasn't even a grad but I was sorry to see it.
nosborne48

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 am

nosborne48 wrote:Oh, crud. That is a disappointment to me.

I remember when the New College of California ceased to exist. I wasn't even a grad but I was sorry to see it.

I think they will continue to offer raining:

"
The other programs that we offer (diploma certificates) were never accredited by DETC. The diploma courses are accredited by the US Dept. of Education and the Ohio State Board of Education.

Sincerely,
CIE "
Eric

President Ronald Reagan
Eric

Next

Return to Distance Learning