Of two minds at CSUDH

Discussions specifically related to distance education.

Of two minds at CSUDH

Postby some gobbledygook » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:07 am

Their website (https://www.csudh.edu/hux/) boasts a HUX MA in Humanities page with a cheery video and lots of blurbage about an exciting way to rediscover your world… and also inserted in red text halfway down the page the statement:

We have suspended all admission to this program indefinitely.

This is followed by blue text towards the bottom of the page:

NOTE: Admission to the MA Humanities Degree Online program has been suspended until further notice.

It’s a slipshod way to end something good.
some gobbledygook

Re: Of two minds at CSUDH

Postby mattchand » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:57 am

Wow. This page is just about dead, but this is sad news. A long time ago, I'd considered that program, though I eventually went with something else.
mattchand

Postby Hungry Ghost » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:07 pm

some gobbledygook wrote:Their website (https://www.csudh.edu/hux/) boasts a HUX MA in Humanities page with a cheery video and lots of blurbage about an exciting way to rediscover your world… and also inserted in red text halfway down the page the statement:

We have suspended all admission to this program indefinitely.

This is followed by blue text towards the bottom of the page:

NOTE: Admission to the MA Humanities Degree Online program has been suspended until further notice.

It’s a slipshod way to end something good.

I'm a graduate of CSUDH-HUX. My understanding is that they are "teaching out" current students and will terminate the program when its current students are gone. I'm not sure why that's happening.

But my guess is that it's the growing distinction between what's termed "distance learning" and what's termed "correspondence". CSUDH-HUX is very much an old-style correspondence program. As such, it lacks what's now termed "regular and substantive interaction" between faculty and students.
Hungry Ghost

Postby some gobbledygook » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:11 am

Having seen some of the “regular interaction” as made by brief postings to in-class discussion boards, I’d stick with the old-style correspondence courses that required substantive essays or research papers. I realise that online courses can require significant writing assignments and be created and supervised with excellence as well, but I just don’t see that happening very often. Unfortunately, “online” usually just seems to be administrative shorthand for “profitable,” and involves minimum expense and effort, in exchange for which the institution receives maximum tuition coverable by US financial aid.

Am I jaded? Yes. I recently bought a copy of an old edition of Bear’s Guide to remind me of the good old days when these things were fun and the possibilities seemed limitless.

I hope if CSUDH keeps the MA in Humanities in another format, they do it well.
some gobbledygook

Postby some gobbledygook » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 am

'Twas nice to chat here again.
some gobbledygook

Postby mattchand » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:12 pm

some gobbledygook wrote:'Twas nice to chat here again.

It is. Rather surreal, if I may say so. Such discussion as used to happen on this board seems to have migrated back over to Degreeinfo, where this board's topics originated. Still, I check in here every once in a great while.
mattchand

Return to Distance Learning