international university of monaco

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

international university of monaco

Postby Marcus20 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi guys! there is something I'd like to share with you concerning IUM monaco. if you are interested in that grad school they present it as a nice environment, beautiful places etc... the truth is the academic environment is quite poor, there is no research whatsoever and (indeed!) a few phd students there work as full professors...

what is more is their career service; it happened that fraudulent and already expired job vacancies were forwarded to students, consequently, I recommend to be very careful as I know how difficult is making a choice for graduate studies.

for further info, always available

PS, at least they enjoy some music! www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2596C47DB9EA3B08
Marcus20

Re: international university of monaco

Postby johann » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:55 pm

The group of schools (INSEEC) which includes IUM is owned by a big and somewhat controversial US corporation that owns many schools - per its WIki:

"IUM became a part of the Institut des hautes ├ętudes ├ęconomiques et commerciales (INSEEC) group of schools which are owned by Career Education Corporation a US-listed professional education company."

All here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... _of_Monaco

Here's Career Education Corp's Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Career_Edu ... orporation.

Some of their US holdings:

American InterContinental University
Briarcliffe College
Brooks Institute
Brown College (That's NOT Brown University, of course - J.)
California Culinary Academy
Collins College
Colorado Technical University
Harrington College of Design
International Academy of Design and Technology
Le Cordon Bleu
Missouri College
Sanford-Brown

Monaco? Nice weather, great place to visit. Wouldn't necessarily want to go to school there. :(

Johann
johann

Postby Marcus20 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 am

Marcus20

Postby johann » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Wow! Worse than I expected - and my expectations were low to start with! And 3,600 Euros ($4,872 US) for that 2-week course? That's crazy! A person who would pay that much for such a short, introductory course has no concept of present, future or any other monetary value. I gather this place is for rich kids who don't want to work - before, during or after the so-called MBA experience.

For around one-third of this amount, $1,450 (1,075 Euros) here's a complete MBA. It's taught by distance and is from a fully accredited University in India, run by a Roman Catholic religious order: http://www.dbuglobal.com/site/Online_MBA The school also offers a BBA and several other Master's Programs. I don't think any of them cost more than about $2,200 (1,625 Euros) complete. All prices I quoted are for foreign nationals. Indian students, of course, pay lesser fees.

Now there's value!

Sorry - I don't think Don Bosco University offers the Master's in Luxury * program. That belongs to IUM. Do you have to show up to school in a Bentley? :)

Johann

* Yes - I know what "Master's in Luxury" really means. Just having a little fun at IUM's expense. With fees like theirs, they can afford that small flea-bite.
johann

Postby Marcus20 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:16 am

as far as I know they no longer offer the pre MBA. nevertheless, that blog (written 3 years ago) says it all...

for instance, I have never seen a grad school's 'top 10' :lol:
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2596C47DB9EA3B08

ps, you don't have to show up in a Bentley :mrgreen: but still I would consider if people who can do it need the same education of everyone else
Marcus20

Postby laxguy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:18 am

I actually recently contacted them about their PhD program. They are not offering it at present but might be in the next year or two according to the admissions department.
laxguy

Postby trin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:45 pm

trin

Postby SteveFoerster » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:16 pm

trin wrote:http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=55554

This links to a report of a scam email. The only mention of the International University of Monaco in this link is a comment in which someone says "I'v got the same email forwared from the international university of monaco". I expect that it's very unlikely that the International University of Monaco is really sending scam emails about "UN Humanitarian and Disaster Relief", assuming this is even true, it's a lot more reasonable to think they were spoofed.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
PhD in Leadership, U. of the Cumberlands (in progress)
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby trin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 am

well, that message says 'it was forwarded' meaning your second guess is probably right. even assuming that, it's not nice for a 'top ranked' school isn't it?

on google you'll find out students (and alumni) are not very happy. i recently spoke with one of them and they're offering 20% or so discount to alumni for further studies (either to them or somebody interested) this says it all.

the user above was interested in a Phd, here the related page, http://www.monaco.edu/faculty-research/research.cfm

it doesn't report anything about their scientific production.
trin

Postby SteveFoerster » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Okay, so you realize it's not a scam, but you just want to find reasons to complain about the school? Anyway, every school has some dissatisfied alumni, and it's not unusual for schools to offer alumni a lower tuition rate for further education. This is not interesting.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby trin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:51 pm

for me a scam email (even if simply forwarded and assuming the good faith) it's pretty serious stuff (then people are free to make their own considerations, of course)

yes, dissatisfied alumni, especially if they end up as doormen after a master degree...

another fact that should be better evaluated while rank a school is the alumni incomes; in this particular case it would be funny seeing the one earned by alumni who were already wealthy/ rich and the others.... oh yes...

discounts are not just for alumni but for whoever can be 'sponsored' by an alumnus; relatives, friends, neighbors, your personal trainer etc.

not interesting? maybe for you, hopefully for someone else.
trin

Postby Marcus20 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:03 pm

well well, it looks like this discussion kept going on.

ok, the issue of scams/expired job vacancies is actually real and very well known to some people over there

however, Steve, if you still have doubts regarding this institution, try to write them saying you're interested in doing an MBA but you don't have GMAT. they will tell you you can get it later, regardless the result...don't you believe me? try!

@johann, that corporation recently sold IUM lol

http://www.careered.com/Press-Room/Pres ... Properties
Marcus20

Postby SteveFoerster » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:09 pm

Marcus20 wrote:however, Steve, if you still have doubts regarding this institution, try to write them saying you're interested in doing an MBA but you don't have GMAT. they will tell you you can get it later, regardless the result...don't you believe me? try!

Why would I care? Many schools admit MBA students without a GMAT.
More about me at my site
SteveFoerster

Postby Marcus20 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Marcus20

Postby Marcus20 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:35 pm

guys, they seems quite touchy about their 'services'....
url=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=885861pic.png]Image[/url]
Marcus20

Return to General Discussions