general accounting degree

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

general accounting degree

Postby aaneetha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:52 am

Where can I get an "investment" accounting degree instead of a general accounting degree? I don't want to get the usual generalized accounting degree like the CFA, CMA, or CA. I am currently working as an investment accountant and want to get a specialized degree in exactly that field.
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Re: general accounting degree

Postby johann » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Here's a pretty good answer - I thought. I pinched it from a commercial site, one which has stuff to sell. So I'm not going to give the link, as I have no desire to help them make money. Just saying - it's not my own work. There was no writer's name, or I'd give that.

"The answer is that there is not a specialized investment accounting degree program out there. though accountants can pursue this specialization later. You should know first that investment accounting undergraduate programs do not exist. The reasons for this should be relatively easy to understand. General accounting degree programs offer their students the foundational education that they will need in order to do other things in the world of numbers. Without that foundation, a student would have a difficult time trying to apply accounting skills in an investment setting. The good news is that you don’t have to have a specialized degree program at the start in order to gain these skills. You can work with a general accounting degree in the beginning without losing out on much.

Pursuing an Investment Focus With Your General Accounting Degree

Many accountants are able to further their careers by picking up specializations after the fact. You can go further in your education, earning a number of distinctions that show your ability to analyze figures in the investment setting. This is a good backup option for a person who is not able to find the investment accounting degree that he has been looking for. If you are serious about working in private equity, venture capital, or investment banking, then this is something that you have to consider."

You might want to study for the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) once you've got your accounting degree. That's widely respected in the investment field. I believe a prior degree is required, in order to complete that program. The Institute is here:

Johann von Googleberg :)
Senior Member
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Canada

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests